550 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Lol!  I knew immediately what it was.  And, by the way, that seat is beautiful.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
So, you "put it in a safe place, for later"?

LOL. Every time I do this a little voice in my head says 'careful, you're going to need that'
And then I promptly put it out of my mind....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So, you "put it in a safe place, for later"?
LOL.  I put it right back in the glovebox; it survived in there for ~10 years, it can stay a little longer.

If I were smart I'd put it in the dedicated box of truck parts I have in the basement, but I'm not smart.  I mean, surely I'll remember that I left it in the glovebox, right?
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, this time will be different.  You will remember - that you have one.  As for where it is.......

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Lol!  I knew immediately what it was.  And, by the way, that seat is beautiful.  
Thanks!  I'm really pleased with how everything turned out.  Although, is it possible I forgot to post the final, as-installed photo?  Huh.

I got excited and took the photo before I installed the seat belts, but they're all in there now.  And as a reminder of the hovel I was riding around in previously:

All in all, a very satisfying effort.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  Just WOW!  That is a HUGE difference.  Yes, it must be very satisfying.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Soundproofed, new mat, painted trim AND a new seat?

I'd say you're ridin' in style Matthew! 👍

What a huge change.
I bet it feels good
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And Gary beats me while I'm trying to peck out the Unicode on my phone....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Unicorns?  My granddaughter loves them!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
What a huge change.
I bet it feels good
It really does.  It's always amazed me how much impact even a little cleaning and maintenance can make when it comes to cars.  It feels like a whole new truck in there.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
🦄

U + 1F984
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
There is a nifty little screw extractor made right here in Wolcott, CT by Alden Tool.
The Grabbit is essentially a double ended left hand drill & easy out in one.
They can be found nation wide in Lowe's stores.
Sizes 1-4 fit screws with the corresponding Phillips tips.
I picked one (well, a set of four) of these things up yesterday, and it worked like a champ.  Backed the screw out, popped the door panel off, and was able to remove my slide lock.

Now we'll see if JB Weld is everything it's cracked up to be:

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That should work well.  The JB Weld will have run down the tab a ways, and that will give it more surface on which to grip.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glad the suggestion worked out well for you.  

I don't know much about JB Weld. (does it get brittle over time?)

I also don't know what kind of plastic that is. But if it's ABS I probably would have tried one of those 'plastic welder' in a 2 part syringe, like epoxy.
That stuff stinks to high heavens like methacrylate monomer and sets in 5-10 minutes instead of 24hrs.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
That should work well.  The JB Weld will have run down the tab a ways, and that will give it more surface on which to grip.  
Well...hopefully not; if it does run down the tab, there's a risk that it'll reach the actual slider portion and freeze it into place.  I've been checking periodically, though, and this doesn't seem to be happening.

That said, once what's on there sets up (another couple of hours or so), I'm going to apply a bead of JB to where the tab comes up through the metal plate, on the other side.  This'll be on the outside away from the slider, so there's no risk of binding it.  If that doesn't do the trick, I don't know what will.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I don't know much about JB Weld. (does it get brittle over time?)

I also don't know what kind of plastic that is. But if it's ABS I probably would have tried one of those 'plastic welder' in a 2 part syringe, like epoxy.
That stuff stinks to high heavens like methacrylate monomer and sets in 5-10 minutes instead of 24hrs.
I actually don't know much about JB Weld, either.  But what I do know is that it dries very hard - which is why I went with it.  I think my best chance of keeping these locks is to keep flexing to a minimum, as it's flexing that causes the old brittle plastic to snap.  I'm hopeful that this will bind everything into place rigidly.

I'm a little gunshy now when it comes to fancy glues on this truck; some years ago when I first took my instrument panel out the left turn signal lens popped out of the panel.  I decided to use CA glue to stick it back in there, and that stuff immediately started washing the green color right out.  Now every time I signal left I'm reminded not to use stuff like that any more.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
JB Weld won't run very much, so I really doubt it'll get to the slider.  But when you turn the thing over you may see that it has run in enough that there's not much room for more JBW on the other side.  However, if there is that will certainly help glue it together.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You could always put one of those colored 'bulb condoms' on the bulb.
That would dim it right down, and make it green again.

Most people complain the bulbs are too dim and take them off.
Gary might have one, since he changed to LED's
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I do have several of those and I'm happy to send one or two, but they are more blue than green.  Might a green LED work?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Dorsai wrote
I actually don't know much about JB Weld, either.  But what I do know is that it dries very hard - which is why I went with it.  I think my best chance of keeping these locks is to keep flexing to a minimum, as it's flexing that causes the old brittle plastic to snap.  I'm hopeful that this will bind everything into place rigidly.
Acrylic is very inflexible, almost too brittle.
But using an acrylic adhesive would actually get a 'bite' on Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene.
Nitrile, butyl and styrene are polmerized with the acrylic to give it better moulding qualities and resilience.

Source: my father was director of engineering at a plastic manufacturer and I am a material science GEEK.
 Jim,
1 ... 567891011 ... 28