550 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Pretty soon your wife will be wanting to drive the truck and you'll be stuck walking!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Friends
Offering
Repair
Details

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I hope we have this solved Matthew.

One more layer of the onion......
In fact, we do.  While lunch was grilling I put a wrench to the bolts on either end of the brace, and the rattle is gone.  Of course, this just means I need to remember to check all my manifold bolts when I have the carburetor off later this summer...

In other news, I swapped out my 7359 belt for a 7363 on the air pump; the 7359 fit just like my original did, but I’ve never liked how the air pump crowded the #1 spark plug.  It’s still not great, but with the air pump a little further out it’s better than it was.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, the additional belt number was a good call too?

A) You're spoiling my ego Matthew.
B) Pedantry and oversharing FTW! 🤪
C) Scary. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So, the additional belt number was a good call too?

A) You're spoiling my ego Matthew.
B) Pedantry and oversharing FTW! 🤪
C) Scary. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
You've been on a roll for sure.  Keep it up and I'll have to mount a plaque on the firewall in your honor.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
This post was updated on .
Yesterday on WHYDTYTT I mentioned that I swapped out the ignition coil as part of  my tuneup/ignition system refresh.  That went well, so today I finally picked up some actual Motorcraft spark plugs (these are surprisingly hard to find around here):

If all goes to plan I'll have these gapped this afternoon and in the truck this evening.  It's been 6-7 years since I've had the plugs out, I think, so while I'm in there I'm going to run some compression checks as well.

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Be careful Matthew!

I've been stridently warned against good parts.....

Steve83 wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...what you get new (from the OEM!)...
Again - a misconception.  There are no "OEM" parts being discussed in this thread.  Only parts branded as Ford.  But Ford isn't the manufacturer of those replacement wires, and probably NOT of the original-equipment wires, either.  Ford doesn't make parts - Ford makes vehicles.  Ford designs parts, subcontracts their manufacture, assembles them into vehicles, and licenses the Ford name & logos to parts manufacturers whose products meet Ford's criteria.

That's not the same as "OEM".  There might have been 20 "original-equipment manufacturers" for the plug wires in these trucks.  But without a lot of documentation, it's not likely that we could ever identify even one of them, to then find out if they're still manufacturing plug wires, for these trucks or any other vehicles.  Odds are the NEW wires he bought are made in China.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I don't see any way to do a good job of modifying their length, or a rational reason to.
Neither do I.  So why did you bring it up?
ArdWrknTrk wrote
This is entirely contradictory to your assertion. "That applies to any brand or size of plug wires, for any vehicle"
Only if you take it out of context, which was "...you can quickly number & cut the wires to length...".  That applies to any brand or size of plug wires, for any vehicle (WITH PLUG WIRES, since that wasn't clear to you the first time).
ArdWrknTrk wrote
But the question posed by this thread is "How do I do a neat job of installing my new plug wires"
The answer is proper routing and using wire dividers.
That's YOUR answer.  Mine is what I posted originally.  Since this BBS is open to many users, you can expect to get many answers to one question.  They won't all be the same, including the same as yours.  But if yours is the only valid answer, you might as well close the forum & make it an e-mail service direct to you.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Motorcraft produces parts...
No, it doesn't.  There is no MotorCraft factory.  It's a licensing company - not a production company.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Ford Racing produces parts...
I don't think so.  I think it's a branding company - not a production company.  But I haven't really looked into it.  The only FRPP part I've ever bought & used was junk, and I scrapped it when it made my car stall.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...they wouldn't have the name, oval, or be available through the nationwide dealer chain.
Yes, that's what I posted above.  Companies that meet Ford standards can license those trademarks.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That these are inferior to, or that different from OEM doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
It doesn't have to - GSMBlue said it's what he observed.  The wires in the box he got aren't the OE lengths.  Whether it's sensible or not, he has to deal with that fact, and I've been trying to help him.  You seem to be trying to prevent that.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...close to identical...
That's not the definition of "OEM" - it's the definition of "direct-replacement", which includes parts from the crappiest chinese sweat shops that the zone can find, made from the crappiest materials, to the highest tolerances.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...fits 'as OEM'
By that standard, EVERY direct-replacement part is "OEM" to you.  I have a different standard.  For example: the original blower motor in my Bronco was made by Siemens.  So Siemens is an "OEM" in my opinion.  And a Siemens blower motor for my truck would be an "OEM" blower motor in my opinion.  That does NOT mean that it's identical to OE - only that it was made by the OEM (Siemens).  Nor does it mean it's the same quality, has the same durability, or fits the same - only that it was made BY THE SAME MANUFACTURER

They might cause your truck to stall and you would be forced to scrap them!    
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Be careful Matthew!

I've been stridently warned against good parts.....
That reminds me...I wanted to ask you two your opinions on my new box of Belden spark plug wires.  

(Just kidding...I don't want anyone's opinion; the Beldens I've had on there the last 6-7 years have been fine, I am sure these will be as well.)
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Actually, I love Belden premium plug wires and have a set on my truck right now!

Most of the 'better' lines of NAPA parts are great! (And since I know the guys I can get them delivered to my house)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Motorcraft plugs are okay, and I use their oil filters (cheap @ Walmart)

Autolite plugs are never going in my truck.
My preference is NGK (UR4's for the 460)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Most of the 'better' lines of NAPA parts are great! (And since I know the guys I can get them delivered to my house)
I've always had good luck with NAPA as well; I've only ever had one part (an Echlin voltage regulator) let me down.  And even then, it was barely a problem...it seemed to regulate voltage just fine, but the alternator idiot light wouldn't go off until I got the engine up past 2000 RPM or so...and then it would stay off.  Replaced it with a Motorcraft part and all was well.

I do miss the days when my brother worked at the county bus shop, and he was pals with the NAPA guy they had their parts contract with.  The county discount saved me big bucks on my new A/C compressor!

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The one that rattles?

You'll be fine on your trek to Podunk!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The one that rattles?

You'll be fine on your trek to Podunk!  
I'm not too worried...as I was explaining to my wife last night when she brought it up, aside from the squirrels chewing through the fuel line a few months ago the truck has only left me stranded one time - and that was the week I got it, when nobody realized the charging system was on its last legs.  Since then it's been nearly 20,000 miles without fail.  I'm confident it won't let me down on its big chance to return home.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I bet that left a bad taste in their mouth!

Maybe they learned a lesson?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I bet that left a bad taste in their mouth!

Maybe they learned a lesson?
LOL.  And if it didn't and they come back for more, I hope they enjoy the new steel braided line that I replaced the old one with.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I remember!

And they will remember to floss....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Quick question to anyone with their ears on - what’s the difference, if any, between BSF-42C and BSF-42CA plugs?  Just noticed my old ones were C and my new ones CA.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Both are Copper core (C)

I think the suffix is gap.

Remember, the DSII is .042-.046"
And the old points & condenser plugs are .030 & under
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://jimsprojectgarage.weebly.com/motorcraft-spark-plug-information.html&ved=2ahUKEwi6vdT2qrDjAhWKPM0KHVf0BFYQFjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3YrUHL1CRjaZDqQxyzkH3x&cshid=1562967331014
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Both are Copper core (C)

I think the suffix is gap.

Remember, the DSII is .042-.046"
And the old points & condenser plugs are .030 & under
That chart you linked to (thanks, BTW) didn't seem to explain the difference between C and CA - but given that 'C' means copper, I'm going to assume 'CA' means 'copper alloy', and call it good.

And yes, I gapped them to .044" - right in the middle of the range listed on the label under the hood.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
1 ... 891011121314 ... 28