1 ... 66676869707172 ... 115
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Danny,
There is one rubber brake hose from the frame crossmember to the rear axle.
It ends in a brass splitter block that attaches to the back side of the axle.
From there a steel line runs to each wheel cylinder.

Note that the bolt that holds the splitter is also the axle vent.
There should be a hose attached to this that has a vent cap clipped up where it shouldn't get submerged.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Well that's a bummer!
If it were me -no title, no sale-
Though I don't know what it is like down there.
I do know in some states if over a certain age no title will be issued.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Danny,
There is one rubber brake hose from the frame crossmember to the rear axle.
It ends in a brass splitter block that attaches to the back side of the axle.
From there a steel line runs to each wheel cylinder.

Note that the bolt that holds the splitter is also the axle vent.
There should be a hose attached to this that has a vent cap clipped up where it shouldn't get submerged.
yep he mentioned the hose at the rear splitter is the issue. I am thinking of pulling the entire brake system and replacing it just to be safe, but maybe just doing the rear lines and a bleed and fill will do the job.

In SC anything older than 1989 does not require a title to sell. If you have a bill of sale they will make a new title. The vehicle has not been reported stolen and has no negative title hits. It's just going to cost me an extra $25.

I have the cash in hand and am scheduled to meet him tomorrow at 1pm EST.

The plan hence forward is to buy this bronco. Sell my 2011 Malibu for 3k and Drive the Bronco to work while I restore the truck. Once the truck is restored the Bronco will go into the shop.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Danny G wrote
Owner informed me he lost the title so I had to make sure it was clean. NICB shows it is not stolen and NMVTIS shows  no junk, no salvage, no flood, no title issues, and no accidents. Got a wad of cash in hand, think ill offer him $5200 and see if he will take it.
That's almost a deal breaker because you don't know what you are going to find when you go through the hoops on the title.

I did it in OK for a '50 Chevy pickup and got lucky.  The state couldn't find the title so issued a new one.  But, had they found it I'd have had to paid any back taxes, plus interest, on the truck and I'm pretty sure taxes hadn't been paid in decades. The whole thing cost me something like $250 as you have to hire a service that does what is called Title 42, but it could have cost far more if they'd found problems.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Danny G wrote
In SC anything older than 1989 does not require a title to sell. If you have a bill of sale they will make a new title. The vehicle has not been reported stolen and has no negative title hits. It's just going to cost me an extra $25.
Missed that.  Ok, you know what you are facing.  Go for it!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Hey, I bought my truck in Myrtle Beach! Planning a trip back down that way soon. Down to Savannah, up to Myrtle(where the wheeler dealer lived) past Edisto(which is where the truck lived), back home to central AL.

That Bronco looks good, good luck with getting a deal done.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yea you can check everything online. The last title file was in Georgia in Sept 20 when he got the Bronco on trade for a motorcycle so everything is up to date. No thefts in the system, not title issues etc he just lost the title. Was planning to flip the Bronco but needs the money.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Nice looking truck.
Funny someone said your eyes go to things, mine was the shifter handle (NP435) and then the rear lower moldings thinking if they were the same as short bed trucks but don't think so?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Okay so got here looked at it it's not something I'm going to have the time for.

It is running quite smooth but it is not without its issues which I expected.

The deal breaker for me was the floor pans they were pretty full of rust cancer that had been covered up and there was some spots that I could see through and I don't have the time to cut out a floor and put a new floor in.

The surface rust in the fender well was more rust cancer it was also more rust cancer in the other fender side as well as well as in the door jams and in the doors bottoms because the seals were bad. A bit of damage to the molding and rear fender.

This is all expected and good if you're looking for a project in this year but I was looking for a daily driver to tinker with and drive.

On the other hand it had some really nice things inside of it like these rosewood panels original stereo clock and some other things.

I took some pictures for records.

I told him I'd post he's up here this truck is still for sale there's not a hiccup or skip in this engine.

Tailgate is solid no leaks in the roof.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Sorry to hear that. It does present itself well in photos though. Sounds like a smart call with the rust repair needing done - I don't check Bronco prices much but at the asking price, like you, I'd be wanting a solid daily.

Side note - interesting to hear about how easy it is to get a title there. Here it's if no title then generally a parts or farm truck forever. Now I wonder if the states really are that different or if I was told about it not being worth it and just took it as gospel.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
A $10 VIN check keeps you safe and I did that in the state of South Carolina anything before 1989 just needs a bill of sale and you can save the title is lost and they'll give you a new one.

It's still not a bad bronco I wouldn't spend $6,000 on itbut if somebody did have the time was willing to put the effort in to cut the floors out and put new floors in it could be a really nice piece.

Put about $2,000 into the interior new floor pans and fix the exterior issues and you've got a really nice truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  Sorry it didn't work out.  But you've probably made a wise choice.  Hope you find another one soon.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I agree with Gary, sometimes you don’t walk away when you should.

Honestly, I should have walked away from my 86. It was a lot of work to get it were it’s at. I told my wife that I couldn’t believe I made it home when I traded for it. A 5 hour drive with ice and snow on the passes!

But I now think it’s the best ford truck I’ve owned, with the 1974 super cab I used to own, second.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
grumpin wrote
I agree with Gary, sometimes you don’t walk away when you should.

Honestly, I should have walked away from my 86. It was a lot of work to get it were it’s at. I told my wife that I couldn’t believe I made it home when I traded for it. A 5 hour drive with ice and snow on the passes!

But I now think it’s the best ford truck I’ve owned, with the 1974 super cab I used to own, second.
4 and a half hours on the road and a wad of cash in my pocket and nostalgia in my head made it very very hard to walk away.

As a project truck I would be all over it. Chop out the floors weld in some new pans. Weld in some replacement rear quarters. The tailgate looked like a replacement already didn't have the cover on it.

Maybe if he still has it come new years I'll offer him $1200 bucks to get it off his yard. That's a price I would be more comfortable with. I could ebay parts out of it for that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Younger (Older?) Sister

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
One of my employees lives in Ann Arbor, and loves it when he flies out west and I pick him up in my bullnose for the hour-odd rough and loud ride to the office from SFO or OAK.  He texted me this pic over the weekend and I found it on the local Craigslist.

Too dear for me, but I'm partial to the Bumpsides and Dentsides, appreciate the color, grille & of course, the flares.

https://jxn.craigslist.org/cto/d/clarklake-1971-f100-4-sp-big-block/7207641467.html

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bullnose Younger (Older?) Sister

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice truck!  But get your employee into a Bullnose.  At least when we say "big block" we don't mean a wimpy 360.  (Not that all FE's are wimpy, but the 360's sure were!  Everyone I knew that had one wished they'd bought the 390 instead.)

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I sure liked my 390 in my 74 F250. Used the old joke it’ll pass anything but a gas station!

Then I met a 460!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, my 390 in my '72 was strong, but not like the 460 in Big Blue.  And two friends had the 360, which was just a de-stroked 390, and they were gutless.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
Yep, my 390 in my '72 was strong, but not like the 460 in Big Blue.  And two friends had the 360, which was just a de-stroked 390, and they were gutless.
I’m amazed at my 86. It is strong! The truck just seems stronger and better than my 94 F250 with the 460.

I had 210 gallons of milk in the bed a couple of weeks ago and was towing a 6x12 trailer with three pallets of food. Didn’t care. Last Thursday I unhooked so they could forklift the milk pallet in. At least 150 gallons of milk on the pallet. I stood back and watched, the truck squatted maybe an inch. But, oh my, as you know, it drinks the gas!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yep.
I say my 460 gets ~10-11 no matter: empty, loaded or hauling.
It's like the honey badger of engines "Don't care"

The YouTube channel myvintageiron7512 did a FE build recently.
That engine builder in Phoenix is one of the better channels I subscribe to.

10x whatever whatever infomercial I watched the other day.  
 Jim,
1 ... 66676869707172 ... 115