Tachometer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tachometer

Sheener
When the electric connection on a 86 fails, does the tach peg on wide open?
86 f 250, 4wd, 460, manual transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tachometer

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Which electric connection?

If the power to the tach fails it sits on 0.  If the input to it fails it sits on 0.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
never heard of that one. is it pegged whether the engine is running or not? power on or not?
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
From personal experience, it will peg on a bad ground.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is good to know, Chris.  Thanks!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
No problem.  I've never followed it back from the battery to the tach, but on my battery there is a ground wire apart with a ring connector apart from the main connector that goes over the negative post on the battery.  

The screw that tightens down the negative battery cable onto the post has a through hole for a bolt to go through the connector, and a nut to tighten the connection.  On my truck, this extra ground slips over the bolt after it passes through the main connector and before the nut that normally tightens the main connector down.

In my case, I didn't tighten the nut down (it was loose) causing a intermittent connection of this additional ground to the main negative terminal connector.  Once I tightened the nut, the ring terminal connector for this extra ground was nice and tight against the main cable connector that goes over the battery post, and all was well.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Sheener
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It is the tach. Pegged at wide open. I will check the ground tomorrow. Thanks.
86 f 250, 4wd, 460, manual transmission