classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Step Bars

Machspeed
Administrator

Looking for advise on step bars? Since I've put bigger tires on the truck, my short legged body struggles to get in it without pulling on the steering wheel. Seriously thinking about step bars. Don't want hoops or running board. Don't want them to protrude too far out and prefer bolt in without drilling if possible. Also, want a subdued look so will be going with black, preferably powder coated.

If you've put these on your truck, I'd sure like to see pictures. Suggestions and recommendations please?
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Step Bars

Pete Whitstone
Here are the ones I put on my 81.

They are from LMC. About $270 or so if I recall correctly. Their height is probably not very representational, I ended up fabbing up a bunch of bracketry to mount them, and I mounted them a couple inches lower than where it looked like they were going to land. The reasons for that were twofold.

First, it did not make much sense to me to have to step up 18 inches to get into a truck whose floor was 21 inches up, so I tried to split the difference a little more.

Second, (and the reason for fabbing the bracketry) the instructions were very poor, Ikea-style ideograms that were not clear, either in my mind or on the paper they were printed on. I could not see how they could fit on my truck. I think there are some fundamental differences between the flaresides and the fleetsides in the area where these would mount, and they basically don't work with flaresides (if there was a warning on the LMC site, I completely missed it). That would not apply to your truck, of course.

Anyhow, as far as the bars themselves go, I'm happy with them and they seem fairly tough and scuff-resistant.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thank you, Pete! Thanks for taking the time to explain and illustrate with your pictures.

I've been all over the web and I keep going back to a Dee Zee brand I've found on Amazon. Apparently they do require some drilling and I don't like the Dee Zee logo on the foot pad. What I do like about them is that I can tuck them in a little more under the truck, as I don't really want them sticking out too far. This will require cutting them but I'm good with that.

https://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-DZ3700301-Round-Universal/dp/B000CJ1ZR6/ref=psdc_15736631_t3_B009FNWQLE 
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't remember the brand I have, but I bought them used and made brackets for them.  (And then remade the brackets again after Colorado.)  I really like them, but I can't recommend them due to the need to make brackets.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
I bought these Westin 23-0530's off eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164322116674

Those were for an '81 F-250 but it fits a wide range so it might fit yours. One thing I liked about this it was it was a bolt-on - no drilling or other mods. They use two existing factory bolt holes and bolts (with threaded couplers).

No matter what you get I'd agree it makes a huge difference on getting in!
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I think you need to design some motorized retractable ones

Have you thought about the slide out version that was available for these trucks? They are a little 'different' and not sure if more a novelty but they show up on ebay every now and then. Trade steering wheel wear for door hinge wear...

https://www.amp-research.com/powersteps
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I'm thinking I want more of an old school look. I'll bring them up a little and tuck them in with just enough space to get a foot on.

Don't you have a set on your truck, Scott?
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mine are Westin Platinum Series.  (Just went to look - and I think I'm going to melt.)  And now I'm getting a text.  Hang on, texter...

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, that texter is you, John!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yep, firing away on all barrels!!!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I have the DeeZee treadplate running boards.
The truck had them on it originally (I found a NOS set of the same model) running all the way from front wheel to rear. I didn't care for the look of the ones on the bed so just did the cab ones.

I can appreciate the old school/period correct approach

While not truly 80-86 and and not sure if they'd count as an old school look, have you thought about the later year style (Lunds) that hugs the rocker panel?
I've heard they rust out so not sure how plentiful they are.

Nice that there are a few options to fit the look one wants. Not only driver preference but also what goes best with the truck config/stance.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
kramttocs wrote
I have the DeeZee treadplate running boards.
The truck had them on it originally (I found a NOS set of the same model) running all the way from front wheel to rear. I didn't care for the look of the ones on the bed so just did the cab ones.

I can appreciate the old school/period correct approach

While not truly 80-86 and and not sure if they'd count as an old school look, have you thought about the later year style (Lunds) that hugs the rocker panel?
I've heard they rust out so not sure how plentiful they are.

Nice that there are a few options to fit the look one wants. Not only driver preference but also what goes best with the truck config/stance.
I dont think you will  find Lund's or Ford factory ones from what I have found.
Now there was someone that started making them but the (other) forum was starting to get into it about the person selling them had to be a sponsor and that was going to be $$$$ so I dont know what will become of it?
Here is a link to them. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1684289-here-they-are-i-said-i-would-build-them-and-i-did-fiberglass-steps-for-f150.html

Now the other thing to note this is only for the fiber glass step and not the brackets needed to mount them.
I think it was posted that DC or JBG has the brackets but they are not cheap.
Some said they could make the brackets out of iron but needed the steps.
In that same area there was a post on the brackets if you want to do a search.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
In reply to this post by taskswap
Thanks for posting about these side bars!  Just what I'm looking for!
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I actually have a set of the Westin no-drill in polished finished brand new in the box if someone is looking. Wouldn't fit with my fenderwell exhaust so I have no use for them.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Dang, I bought a pair of Westin bars before I saw your post, Beefy!  Sorry about that.

Do I remove the nut that holds the cab on before threading on the connecting nut from the kit?  The instructions don't say - but there aren't many threads to bite into with that factory nut on.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I haven't installed those step bars, but I don't think you should remove the original nut as it is welded to that large washer.  Unless the step bars came with their own large washer.

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom

Exactly right, Gary!  I emailed their customer support and got a quick answer saying the same thing.
Besides, it appeared to me the nut is swedged or somehow fixed on that bolt and I'd have had to use air impact to remove it, if then.
I'm really impressed with the quality, ease of install and looks of these Westins.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those do look good.  

Are they solid?

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Not solid but they are stainless and stout!  I'm 6'5" and around 235 and it holds me fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
After I posted that I was afraid you'd read "solid" the wrong way.  I knew that the steps are tubes, but I was really asking if the mounts are stout, and you answered that.

Anyway, glad it worked out!