Speedometer cable

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Speedometer cable

El Chapo
My speedometer was not working so I replaced the cable that was damaged, actually severed almost completely due to the fact that the support clip is up against the gear swift linkage, very poor placement. Speedometer still doesn’t work and I don’t see the cable rotating while driving. I double checked the connection at the transmission that seemed ok however I stuck my finger inside where the cable goes and that felt like loose plastic or something I’m assuming it’s a gear. Can someone tell me what I should be looking at I’m kinda operating blind on this.
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Speedometer cable

Pete Whitstone
I don't recognize the transmission you have listed, but all the mechanical speedos are driven by a worm gear on the transmission (or transfer case) output shaft, and a plastic gear that sits just under where the speedo cable comes out. You should be able to pull the speedo cable out of the tailshaft, and extract the plastic gear. It will most likely be stripped.

To test whether the problem is in the gears or further upstream, with the cable pulled out of the transmission, put a cordless drill on it and see if your speedo starts moving. Be sure to try the drill in both directions.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
When I removed the speedo the plastic gear didn’t come out but I was able to fish it out. The plastic gear seemed ok but I’ll replace it anyways. I’m not sure how it would have been attached to speedo with a suspect clip and sensor. Thank you for your input very much appreciated!
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Speed sensor, worm drive & clip
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Is there yet another removable gear in the transfer case or is this it. The clip is very loose and I don’t see how it would have all been secured. Is it possible that the grove on the sensor where the clip is secured wore out? I’ll replace the sensor, clip and gear just want to make sure there isn’t anything else I may be missing here.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The drive gear in the transfer case can be removed if you take off the tailshaft housing. (I assume an '86 has a Borg Warner 13-45?)

Can you see what color the internal gear is?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by El Chapo
Yeah, if the gear stayed in the tailshaft, then something is amiss. Your plan to replace the gear and the sensor and the clip is a good one. The gears are color coded for the tooth count, to accommodate different rear end ratios, so make sure you count the teeth on your old one and get a new one with the same tooth count.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The drive gear in the transfer case can be removed if you take off the tailshaft housing. (I assume an '86 has a Borg Warner 13-45?)

Can you see what color the internal gear is?
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Removed the shaft tail with 1 1/2” socket if I look closely I can see a yellow ring around the inner gear that I removed the bolt from there’s a bearing around it that’s hard to get a good look without removing/destroying the outer seal I’m afraid I would not be able to purchase and replace it. But if that is what I have to do to get to whatever (gear/seal?) I’m hunting for in there I’ll do it. The yellow ring is slipped around free flowing bearing of sort on the gear shaft. I hope I’m on the right track here? Also I did the drill test and the speedo moves but only in a single direction I don’t assume it would in reverse?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You need to identify which transfer case you have and if that drive gear is chewed up.
Gears aren't hard to come by but you must get the correct one for the case that you have.

As I recall Gary has a 1345 and documented how to change the drive gear on that one. (I've got a 1356, and can't help you much)

Sounds to me like maybe it's just the driven gear (that you already have out) that is a problem if it won't engage the speedometer cable correctly.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
I took a close look at it’s a borg warner 13-45-039-908. I take it that’s a 1345? Thank you
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In this post in Big Blue's thread Scott linked to this thread on FSB and it has a youtube in it on removing and reinstalling the driven gear.  But you might want to start reading Big Blue's thread at Scott's post as I posted about a tool I made to hold the output shaft.  And I discussed the torque needed on the nut to ensure the gear doesn't slip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Driven gear So I think I found my problem the yellow 7 gear was stripped. The oil seal had to be destroyed in order to remove it. Question guys and gals is where do I get these parts? And if you can give part numbers for my search that would be awesome 😎
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Counting from the size this is an 8 tooth gear
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that drive gear is bad.  And I think the replacement part number should be E5TZ 17285-B, as shown on the chart below, which is from our page at Documentation/Driveline/Speedometer Gears, Cables, & Sensors.  That snippet is for the 1986 trucks and a Bronco is a U100.

Your Borg Warner 1345 is shown in the "Warner T/C" entries.  But there are two options - 6 teeth that should be "natural" color, and 8 teeth which should be yellow.  Yours looks to be yellow but it also looks to have 6 teeth, and it is the # of teeth that make a difference.  And assuming that your speedo has previously been relatively accurate you'll want to go back with what was in there.

As for the seal, I bought this one from Torque King, where you can also probably get the drive gear.  And will you need a new driven gear?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, if it is an 8-tooth gear then get the other one.  I guess I can't count.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, I think you are counting across the gear instead of counting the number of thread starts around the circumference.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahhh!  So you count the thread starts?  That would make a big difference.  

Thanks, Jim.  I didn't know that.  And it explains why my counts have always been at odds with the specs.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well.... technically that is the number of teeth on the gear.  

I think you're pretty safe just going with a color match.
There's a reason Ford (and other manufacturers) made them identifiable at a glance.
I mean, you can take a peek through the hole and tell which gear you need without having to tear it open and tying up a bay while the gear is on order.

Of course now we have wheel speed sensors and programmable instrument modules.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thank you guys, I think I’ve got the correct drive on order from American hot rod solutions. they didn’t have the shaft output seal, so took the old one to Napa and got 3 slightly different ones to try since they didn’t have a direct cross reference on it. Are the seals tight going in? One was loose fitting on the tc side, the other is very tight need lots of help to seat flush the 3rd just needs a few good nudges i hope the next guy doesn’t hate too much. Getting the original one out was a four letter effect for me haha! Yes I said darn it.🤦🏽‍♂️