classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Something to hold silicone gasket in place

ckuske
Administrator
So a week or so ago in my project thread I mentioned that the passenger side valve cover had an oil leak dripping onto the exhaust manifold (#4 cylinder) after starting my engine for the first time in at least 18 months...  I purchased the gaskets from Real Gaskets (https://realgaskets.com/product/valve-cover-gaskets-33/), and the instructions say emphatically to not use any sealant etc.  Ok, fine.  But my question is this:

I have a feeling that while fishing the rear of the cover through the wire harness etc, that the gasket shifted a little bit (even though I had the tabs on the gasket pushed onto the notches on cover itself).  I'd like to put a very small amount of something on to the side of the gasket that touches the cover, just to make sure it doesn't move or flop around a little bit during installation.

Advice/suggestions?

Since the gaskets are silicone, I am thinking normal adhesives may not work that are intended for rubber/cork.  A quick Google say E6000 may work?  I intend on using a very small amount, just to hold the gasket while installing.

I will also be hammering the holes flush again just to be sure that didn't contribute at all, even though I didn't torque the bolts down very much - I will be getting a torque wrench that does in/lbs as well
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Something to hold silicone gasket in place

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Silicon is hard to hold. RTV will usually stick to it, but it is as slick as grease until it cures, so if you use a thin smear of it don’t torque the valve cover down until the next day.

Better would be contact cement spray. A really light coat to hold the gasket works nicely.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks Gary. I’ll see what I can get from Amazon, I have time to get the right thing.

Thanks for answering. Maybe putting the little bit of cement won’t make it 100% reusable but I’ll take that over a leak!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it makes it hard to remove, but glued to the valve cover you shouldn’t have to remove it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
one tip i can give is one i use fairly often. i like to "stud" the heads with 1-1 1/4' inch all thread and a simple two nut jammed to set them works great. this allows me to slip the gasket on then the cover and use nut and washer to fasten. I know it's very simple and I certainly did not invent it, but it works great. if I'm doing a restoration, I use the factory hardware of course. but not all are factory correct. some are just fun