Sky's Front Superduty RSK on a 2wd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
68 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sky's Front Superduty RSK on a 2wd

VWThomason
Well, I was going to use it on the front upper hole, but it just didn't look right. Also have to consider this was 2wd and didnt have existing shock mount holes because it was built into the coil bucket. Where it ended up measures almost exactly the same as my 93 within about 1/16th of an inch.

I keep saying I'm gonna have it on the road this time, then that time. At this point I'm not too sure. Hopefully in the next couple months. It's close, but far at the same time since I am trying to address so many things before actually driving it. And some under hood wiring that I need to have apparently had been cut by the previous owner who pulled the original 6.9 out of it so that's another hurdle I have to fix. It was all taped up out of the way and when I started to lay it out I found the cuts :( I'm hoping a wiring harness I took out of another parts truck will have the correct color coded wires so I don't have to just splice in plain wire off the shelf.

I decided to pack in some extra classes so i can graduate with my bachelor's in May and that's taken up a lot of my time this summer along with my now 1 year old. Since the shop is not cooled and I lost all my shade trees last year to a storm makes it a bit harder to work quickly since it is so heat soaked by the evenings when I am able to make time to work on it.
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Probably a good idea to get the extra classes in and graduate early.  And I fully understand about "this time or that time".  But given the significant changes we are making, it makes sense to fix things while in there.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Yeah I'm not sure you could really say graduate early since I'll be 30 when I graduate lol, but it will sure be worth it to be finished and get back to working full time.

Yeah I'm trying to touch every mechanical aspect that I can to ensure I don't have to work on anything other than aesthetics for a good long while. I'm ready to get in it and enjoy it!
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll bet at 30 you are doing a much better job of studying than I did at 20.  (And I did a MUCH better job of studying at 60!)  Anyway, I hope the job market will be good when you graduate.

As for the truck, that's my thinking as well: Fix it now so I don't have to come back.  It takes a lot longer the first round, but should be worth it in the end.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Just started my second summer session class this week, it is production / operations management and it is going to be a lot easier class than I imagined. I've learned probably all of this material through my years of hard knocks university.

That is good for progress on the truck because I'll be able to get through this 5 week class without spending every evening all evening long studying. But I'm gonna have to finally set up my window units in the shop to get it tolerable to work in the evenings. We're looking at high 90s through the rest of the week and weekend. And if it's like this past week, here at the house we'll surpass the high by at least 4 or 5 degrees. That will put us into triple digits without the heat index.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What is your degree in?  Production/operations management sounds like something I should have had for my career in IT as I would up managing a rather large infrastructure, meaning mainframes, desktops, networks, and help desks.  In other words, "operations".

Anyway, glad it'll be easy.  And, glad you'll get to work on the truck.  

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Business Information Systems is what my degree focus is.

I'll get to work on the truck if I can get the right parts lol. Been back and forth with rock auto over some AC components. Just gonna go to the regular parts store and get what I need now. Hopefully i don't run into many more snags.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, that's what I thought.  BIS would have been exactly the degree I needed given how my career went instead of Math & Physics.  But that kind of a degree wasn't even dreamed of 50+ years ago, and I'd probably not taken it had it been 'cause I wanted to be a scientist or engineer.

As for Rock Auto, I'm kind of in the same place on the upper radiator hose for Big Blue.  I want the one that doesn't have the kick-up for a AIR pump as I'm not running one.  RA has several different ones and will be cheaper, but if I get the wrong part it'll be a hassle getting the right one.  With the local parts store if it isn't the right part I won't take it.