Sky's Front Superduty RSK on a 2wd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
68 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sky's Front Superduty RSK on a 2wd

VWThomason
It is similar to that but not exactly I'll get a picture shortly.

Gary,
It's like a regular bottom mount, but with bushing where the single shock would go and the shocks mount on either side with a bolt through the middle. Top mount is basically the same.

I'm thinking Sky offroad design is going to get some more of my money and I'm just going to bite the bullet now on the Bilstein of Fox.

Do you have a part number for the ones you used?
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, all the force is on a bolt that only has support on one side?  Better be a G8 bolt.  

Here's the label on the end of my box:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Gary Lewis wrote
So, all the force is on a bolt that only has support on one side?  Better be a G8 bolt.  

Here's the label on the end of my box:

Well it's not much different than just a shock fit over a stud, like you find on a large majority of vehicles in the rear.
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You have a good point about the rear shocks.  Hadn't thought of that.

So, what's the plan, Stan?  Quad?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by VWThomason
Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
You have a good point about the rear shocks.  Hadn't thought of that.

So, what's the plan, Stan?  Quad?
I think I'm going to ditch the quad idea. Now I just have to make up my mind whether i want to buy some factory mounts or send Sky some more money lol.

Yeah that's exactly what they look like. Funny thing is they came off a 93 F250.

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
I finally made up my mind and these came in today!  Hopefully I can make the time to get them fitted in and then I can officially say I am done with the suspension!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Look just like mine. I’ll be curious to see what holes you use to mount them. On mine they fit just right using the front holes mated to the ones on the frame.

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Gary Lewis wrote
Cool!  Look just like mine. I’ll be curious to see what holes you use to mount them. On mine they fit just right using the front holes mated to the ones on the frame.
Yeahhhh it is looking like 4 new holes since these existing ones do not come close unfortunately.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
I ran into the same issue, all four holes will need to be drilled, but I would definitely wait until you can place a shock on the truck to get it just right. I'm running a U-bolt flip kit so I will have to figure out both upper and lower shock mounts as the lower mounts I have can be welded to the C or to the u bolt plate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So the 4x2 frames don't have the same holes the 4x4 frames have for shock towers?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Nope, they use the same shock/coil towers that came on the F150s so the holes are all in the wrong spots, and spaced much wider due to the larger shock/coil tower.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That makes sense.  Thanks, Shaun.

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Man I tell ya, after I'm done with this truck I'm not sure I'm going to want to pick up a drill for a long time lol. I've had to drill so many holes between the front and the rear suspension upgrades its nuts. Depending on how things go around the house, I'll either have them mounted tonight or tomorrow. Since I have my 93 with a solid axle swap under it, I'm going to use Gary's pictures and measurements along with what I get off my truck to do some CAD off the driver side to make the passenger side match.

Also in this case CAD is just Cardboard Aided Design. Not the real deal lol

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I kinda know the feeling.  Although I had fewer to drill than you did, there were still a lot.  And a lot of rivets to remove.  Certainly not a bolt-in upgrade.

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Gary Lewis wrote
I kinda know the feeling.  Although I had fewer to drill than you did, there were still a lot.  And a lot of rivets to remove.  Certainly not a bolt-in upgrade.
I think I removed 50-ish rivets between the front and rear. Only had to drill 8 new holes in the rear, and just reamed out the rest to 1/2". And I'll be at 28 or so new holes in the front.

It is a daunting task, but well worth it. I'd suggest anyone wanting to do it, DO IT!

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I swapped my F150 from single shock towers to quad shock towers and told myself I would never grind/drill rivets off a frame again. Then came my F350......

The absolute WORST ones to remove on this truck were the ones holding the passenger side axle beam pivot bracket in place. Just a terrible angle on those.
Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Well I finally got around to installing my upper shock mount and I ended up utilizing one of the existing holes to start. It seemed really close when I was pulling measurements and using the solid piece I made to go in place of the shock. It ended up being quarter inch difference with how I was doing it. I used this hole for the top rear hole of the shock mount. And this hole is in the same spot on both sides.

I mounted it up using that single hole then installed the shock. Took measurements and compared it to my other truck. Everything came out pretty well identical, so I drilled 3 more holes and the front suspension is finally "done". Maybe some day I'll actually mount the swaybar up. I guess I was more tired than I thought and forgot to take more pictures of it mounted up.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think we used different holes, but wound up in roughly the same place.  However, the rubber bushing in the shocks would easily accommodate the differences.

When are you going to have it on the road?