Sharing my exciting progress

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sharing my exciting progress

Littlebeefy
I’m just posting a picture because I’m really excited about the progress we’ve made. The 460 and ZF5 are in and sitting in their respective mounts and the NP205 front output appears to clear the M5OD 4x4 trans mount with a CV. We also test fit the Mad Dog headers and they clear the Duff front suspension mounts.

I was really surprised by how small that big block looks in the engine bay!

LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sharing my exciting progress

grumpin
Nice! Good job!

It does look small in there!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Looks great, Chad!  

But wait until you put the fender liners on before you think it looks small.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Looks great, Chad! Keep us updated.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That IS exciting progress!

And as I'm well known to say, Progress is good!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
I see coils, that's a lot of engine for a 150.  It's gonna be a blast to drive
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Wanted to share a picture with an update.

The CVF Racing serpentine kit is phenomenal. I got creative with the rear mount and made it work with a high flow dual return pump. Customer Support was great when I found that my ‘68 heads had slightly different threads; they sent me additional hardware immediately at no charge. I switched the belt on the tensioner to one that is 1” longer to get a better fit for the PS pump. Probably could have gone longer with how much adjustment there is available on the AC compressor.

The hydroboost and master are in and plumbed. I’m still trying to sort out the Aeroflow barb to AN adapters but everything else is Aeroquip/Eaton and Aeromotive. I really like the PTFE fittings and highly recommend them if you want to make your own lines. I did the EFI fuel system all the way to the tank and all of the PS lines with 2 20’ spools of 6AN PTFE lines and had about 3’ left over. Keep it simple and stay with the same manufacturer for hose and fittings and it’s much easier. I’m using the 4AN PTFE lines for my brakes, too.

We cut the fenders to fit the Maddog fender exit headers. They fit perfectly around the Duff SAS kit. Only thing I had to do was trim the body mount bolt behind the wheel. I’m going to paint them before I install them but this is what it looks like for fit:

LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking great, Chad!  I'm impressed.  You are really getting it together.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Looks great, good progress!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Looks good

Only thing I question is "I’m using the 4AN PTFE lines for my brakes, too."
Do they say it is ok to use for brakes?
The fluid will not hurt it and the big one with "make your fittings" is will they hold up to the high pressure the brake system puts out?
I hear the brake system can get into the 1000's of PSI and why I ask.

Also some of the line not made for brakes like to balloon up making the pedal spongy.
That is a big thing when guys replace the rubber lines with non-brake flex lines.
The flex lines are braided and have crimped on fittings.
Just a FYI
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Hi Fuzz,
The stainless PTFE line from Aeroquip is rated to 2500 PSI. I already had stainless extensions at the normal places at the axle so I figured, since fluid doesn’t compress, if any of brake lines were brake rated stainless hose, all of it might as well be. Is that a bad idea? I know I could run a segment of hardline along the frame rails but do I NEED to?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't really think you want to use braided hose along the undercarriage.
In addition to it needing many more support points the braided jacket gives a lot of opportunities for grit and spray to enter. While this may lead to chafing not normally encountered.

Yes, yes I know that the usual hoses bridging suspension movement would see as much (if not more)
There are good reasons that DOT has always had issue with braided brake hoses on public roads.
(On bikes, not so much, because everything is out in the open and more likely to get washed down)

Can I ask why you want to go with 1/4 hose when stock systems are all set up for 3/16?
While additional volume seems like a good thing for fuel and lubrication systems, more volume than you need in a pressure system has no advantage and only increases the burst force applied to the line by a factor of Pi.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Thank you for your response, Jim. I don't have my heart set on AN hose for brake line. I have the brake rated AN line, it's marginally easier to use than bending lines, and I can run the AN from the master cylinder mounted prop valve all the way to the rear drop tee which reduces the number of connections. That's why I was using it.

Although I am using 4AN hose, the ID of the 4AN Aeroquip PTFE hose is still 3/16, so there is no factor of pi affecting the pressure or volume of the brake fluid. And I'll happily drill a few extra self tappers in and use 6 hose supports instead of 2 or 3 so that really isn't influencing my decision.

Admittedly, I am second guessing myself on the AN run along the frame rail, purely because it's a safety system. But the engineer in me keeps saying that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, so all stainless AN is equally as strong as just a bit of stainless AN.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? Anyone ever personally had a SS brake hose fail under normal circumstances?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Brake tubing (like all tube in this country is measured OD)
3/16 brake line is 1/8 ID, or maybe a little more.

I'm not suggesting that your Teflon lines are not up to their rated pressures, just that for X pressure from the master cylinder they are subject to Y force from the brake fluid.
Surface area of the inside of the increases with diameter as the circumference is πD

I used to make a lot of braided lines in both teflon and rubber.
I've had rubber ones delaminate but only a properly assembled brake hose fail when the line was bent sharply over the insert.
 Jim,