classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pulling the trigger

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, Rob.  I missed that.  But it is hard to tell if it is really dirty or not as some of the filter elements are dark to start with.

My issue with flushing a tank is that gasoline is fairly expensive and it doesn't take wasting much of it to account for an appreciable portion of the cost of a new tank.  So maybe pour the old out, swishing the last bits of it around in the tank briskly, and see what you get?  If there's much rust I'd opt for a new tank.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the lack of power, I think that the truck may have the EEC-III system that controls engine timing and even the air/fuel ratio.  And depending on what all they did they may have triggered limp-home mode on the ECU.  Basically in that mode the ECU locks the timing to base or initial, meaning there is no advance.  That kills power and economy.

You can covert from what I suspect is the TFI ignition to the more simple DS-II ignition with not much trouble and that will eliminate the ECU.  Or, if what they did can be put back, you may get it going again.
Unless the Bronco was specified for California, the feedback system began in 1984 for the 4.9L engine. I believe the OP is looking at a 1983.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, David.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
This is going to be so much fun to fix up. Right now I have a long list in my head of things to do that I’m simply going to need to write out and prioritize. Sounds like (after getting it running and changing fluids), ignition and alternator are my first Mechanical priorities to upgrade. Anyone have any recommendations for second? I’m sure there’s a list somewhere but my search is not coming up with anything that is succinct although I imagine there are some opinions involved.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Current Name: Whitney
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Check everything, since it has been sitting so long! Don't take anything for granted. It will be a fun project!  
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
That’s definitely the plan! I realize that I didn’t make it very clear that I was asking if there’s a list of upgrades  that should be performed either for safety, reliability or performance improvements?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1983 could have had the MCU system, and probably does. MCU = Mixture Control Unit and was made in both a CA spec and 49 state spec. EEC-III was never on the 300. 1984 is when the feedback carbs started and those systems are EEC-IV and do use the TFI ignition module. All my emission diagrams show either a single or dual diaphragm distributor which points toward a DS-II ignition.

What I can get from my AllData is the MCU sits on top of the DS-II (or possibly DS-III) and there should be some vacuum switches on the top rear of the valve cover. I can pull up the MCU wiring, but the ignition diagrams say "without EEC" but Ford does not call this system an EEC so it may be correct, in which case it is the DS-II system which is usually pretty damn reliable.

In the bottom right of the picture Gary enlarged, there appears to be a box with an electrical connector on top, if so it should be 24 pins and will be the MCU, under it should be the DS-II box.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
That’s some great detective work, Bill! Just taking that in, it sounds like you’re saying there’s not necessarily any upgrade to be made there that will improve anything dramatically. Assuming the DS-II box is there.

I’m going to see it Saturday. I’ll make sure to take a bunch of pics if I can’t drive it home.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Make sure the photos include close-ups of the distributor base as well as the driver side fender liner.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by FrazerJames
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Just got the Marti report. Looks like it’s got 3.08 ratio. Also says it came with increase capacity fuel tank...
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a pretty tall, or high, ratio.  Should be good for cruising.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Pulled the trigger. Got the bronco back to St Louis. It was stalling just like he said it would. Hills or any higher speed and it would fall on its face. Still, it started fine.

Cut to dropping it off the flatbed. I live in a busy neighborhood so I had the truck dropped off just outside of it. Driving it the few block home and it stalls. Not even on a hill. Get it started back up after a few minutes and get a block away from my house and it stalls again. Now it won’t start at all even after letting it sit for a few hours.

Turn the key and it just slowly chugs. I’d prefer not to have to get another two for the last block to my house... any thoughts?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Quick check for spark and gas is needed.
If you have an old spark plug around pull a wire and pop the plug in, place it on the motor for a ground.
Watch the end when trying to start for spark. You should see a nice blue / white and hear a snap if you have spark.
Could also put a little gas down the carb and see if it will try and start. If so it has spark but no gas.

Pop the air filter off. open the choke if closed and looking down inside move the throttle you should see a stream or 2 of gas spray down into the carb.
If no gas pour a little down carb and see if it will try and start.

Not knowing your set up as I did not go to your earlier posts but if you have a fuel pump on the motor you can get some rubber hose and a small can of gas.
Hook the hose up to the inlet of the fuel pump on the motor and the other end in the can set on the fender and see if it will start and run.
If so tie up the can and drive it home.

The last is got a buddy with a good tow strap and something to pull the Bronco with?
Under the cover of darkness, less traffic, and drag it on home.

Good luck
Dave ----
ps it sound like it is not getting fuel if you can get up to speed or stalling on hills, anything when giving it more throttle would be fuel in my book. Bad rubber hoses maybe?
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FrazerJames
Dave gave good suggestions.  Good luck, and let us know.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave gave good suggestions.  Good luck, and let us know.
I had to go to the first post to "catch up" and it sounds more and more like a fuel issue.
Bad gas still in the tank?
What ever was in there with the 2 hr drive on the flat bed would have mixed and kicked up anything in the tank and then trying to drive the last few blocks sucked up the badness
Hope he gets it home
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Great suggestions. I’ll give those a shot!

No concern about the slow chugging starter? It turns in intervals of maybe 1 second... It just seems overly slow.

Anyway, it’s sitting in front of one of the nicest restaurants in the neighborhood for now. I’m not going to be able to go down and mess with it until they close later. Hopefully it’s getting some nice looks. It really is a beauty. Pics once I get it home.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If it is turning really slowly then yes, you have a problem.  That may be a bad starter, bad cables, or even a bad battery.  You may have two problems - electrical and fuel.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Any tips on where to tie on that toe strap to the front?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you just towing it up onto a rollback?  Or towing it a block or two to your house?  I ask because I want you to be safe.

But if you have a strap you can connect to the frame right behind the bumper.  Maybe go under the bumper and up over the frame and put the hook on the bottom of the frame?

While you are out, maybe in the morning, a few World's Fair doughnuts?