classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Project Begun: 1985 F150 5.0 EFI engine dismantle

85lebaront2
Administrator
In doing some further digging, speed sensor apparently wasn't critical until the E4OD, then AODE, and finally 4R70W transmissions came out. I also found that the CEL or MIL wasn't on even the first few years of the EEC-IV after the 1986 models.

The other item, the E4OD additions, all except the coast clutch apply to the 4R70W and it uses an output shaft speed sensor in addition to the others.

I believe from what I remember finding is that 1993 up EECs support live data through an appropriate scan tool.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm envisioning a page on the website that explains the progression of Ford's electronic fuel system control as it relates to the pickups.  It would include a spreadsheet or spreadsheets that show pinouts and what each circuit does, when new circuits appeared and their functionality, etc.

Yes, I realize that the scope of the Garagemahal is Bullnose trucks.  However, some (many?) of us want to upgrade our trucks to later technology in order to make them easier to maintain, more fuel efficient, more powerful, easier to drive, etc.  So the scope of this page wouldn't be limited to the Bullnose era.  Instead it would go into the future to at least '96 when almost everything went EEC-V/OBD-II.

And, as we develop info on what pins/circuits/functions are needed for certain applications we would include that.  In fact, I've sorta done that for adapting a '96 EEC-V system into Big Blue, so this page would include that info.

Thoughts?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, I can add the EEC-V stuff on the smaller engines (4.9, 5.0, 5.8) the issue becomes the 4.9 and 5.0 ceased truck use the end of MY 1996 except for the Explorer and it's clones carried a DIS version of the 5.0L engine (which has some of the best heads for the EFI engines) for a few years after that. As a result there were not a lot of EEC-V trucks built.

The advantage to the EEC-V system is the ability to reflash the EEC for updates rather then having to issue a new EEC when changes were needed. Any doubts, look at the sheer number of different ones for the 1985.5-1986 5.0L engines. This can be used to advantage, as long as the EEC-V box has the correct hardware code, it can be reflashed (reprogrammed) as needed for a different engine size, firing order etc. the process is pretty quick and corresponds to rejetting a carburetor and recurving the distributor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
All of that is what I am envisioning.  I've struggled with getting my head around all of this and I'm not close yet.  And while I'm not very "quick", I don't think it is intuitively obvious to the casual observer.  So, if we can create a page, or pages, with a story that explains how all of this transpired, what advantages there are to the changes, what to look for if you want "this", etc then I think it'll help a lot of people.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray and Bill - What do you think of me moving some of this conversation to a new thread I started called Computerized Fuel System Documentation Musings?  That way we can clean up this thread.

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
I can't wait to install the wiring harness you sent me.  I cleaned up and painted my lower intake and installed the injector harness.  I painted the lower intake with primer and paint and baked it at 160 for about two hours.  Here's a pic, but don't let the particles and the new paint fool you.  They are not sti=uck to the paint and will blow off when I use my compressor on the intake prior to installation.  
Steven A. Gauvry - 1985 F150 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Are you cleaning/rebuilding/testing your Injectors ?
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Hadn't planned on it. They're fairly new and I periodically run Sea Foam through them. However, I know I probably should check them and now that you asked the question, I suppose I will while it is easy for me to do so. Not to hard to do.
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
This post was updated on .
Resistance is @ 14.3 ohms on ALL injectors.  All good to go!!