Project 83 F100 mutt

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Project 83 F100 mutt

MarkF100
This build is finally started. This truck is a true mutt of a truck. Not much on it came that way from the factory. The bed came from another. The 9 inch came from a 1972 pickup. The steering column from something else. The dash, probably from the same place as the steering column. The hood is a Copo replacement. The engine and transmission from a 73 Torino. 351 Cleveland with the FMX.
Engine is out and torn down.

After tearing the Cleveland down I could see that this thing was really on it's last leg. The cam bearings were deteriorating.

On it's way to Marty's machine shop.

Marty will be doing a complete bottom rebuild. .600 lift roller hydraulic cam, .030 bore, forged pistons, align bore crank and cam passages, turn the crank and resize bearings, machine the crank pilot for the TCI AOD, new cam bearings and degree the cam when installed and, redecking. 10.5:1 compression. With the Trick Flow heads, Air Gap intake and, a 750 on top I'm looking at 500+ hp and just about the same in torque.
Marty helped me to come up with this combination of parts (he builds drag race engines.) I want something that is street-able yet still able to go to the strip and run with the big dogs.
Now comes the clean up and paint and...

“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Project 83 F100 mutt

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool project!  And that’s going to be fun engine. Lots of power!

When you clean up are you going to remove the leftover 300 six perch?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Its not a mutt that is hot roding
I saw the 600 lift cam and got thinking that is a large cam for a street truck then saw it will be used at the strip too.
Sounds like a cool project.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Removing that old 300 mount today, when I get started cleaning her up. Throughout the winter months, the bed will come off for paint. The last owner welded thick diamond plate into the bed. That is a lot of weight to be removed. Good piece of diamond plate for other stuff. Cab off for paint. Frame will get blasted coated with POR15. Hope to have her back on the road come summer.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Yup the cam is as big as you can go for street/strip. I was considering .665. I ran a .665 in a 355 Chevy. Had it in my 80 El Camino SS. Power brakes were near non existent. Awful vacuum, but mean as hell. That car was for drag racing. This one needs to be able to roam the streets.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Mark,

There is a fellow forum member [Alex Guenther] who posted on Market Place Want to Buy that he was "Looking for 300 Engine Perches".

David
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
There is only the one perch. I'll check him out and see if he wants it.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
In reply to this post by MarkF100
While awaiting other stuff, I decided to start the removal of the diamond plate that the last guy welded to the sides of the bed.

There was 18 of these to cut.

Removing this plate will lighten the load and make way for a nice wood bed.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That looks like a LOT of work!  But you are right, that's how to take it out.  And it will certainly lighten the load.  Can't wait to see the new bed.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
Plus, a nice sheet of diamond plate
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That, too.    Plans for it?

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
I'll use it on my trailer ramps.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That'll work.  That's what my ramps are made of.

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
I haven't been around much due to medical problems (cancer.) Kinda slowed me down some. Did some surgery and will be doing radiation soon. Things are looking up as I got my engine back from the machine shop  It turned out that, at some time in the past, someone bored the engine .030 over. Had to go .060. Now a 362 Cleveland. I know, that is quite a lot but, it tested to be good. So... I'm just waiting to get back to work to finish the engine build. To come will be the Trick Flow heads and a Air gap manifold. I have a Demon 750 double pump with mechanical secondary from 2000 (year) to use. This changes my choice of transmission. Demons are not compatible with the AOD, as far as I can tell from research. If I'm wrong, someone please clue me in. I'm trying to save a few bucks by using it. I'm now looking at a TCI C6 Streetfighter. I do have a TCI TH 350 Streetfighter that could be used by swapping in a bell housing conversion but then I will have to buy another one later down the road for the El Camino. Better to just go with the C6. Besides, i would probably have to swap drive shafts in the truck to do so. On a brighter note, part of the barn floor is complete  

Never mind the old heads. They're only on to keep it closed up.

Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glad you're on the mend, Mark!
Hope you and your Dr's have kicked it's ass.  💪

Wow! How thick is that floor?
Are you installing a 500 ton press brake?!?!?

The engine looks great!
If the cylinders sonic checked, there's no replacement for displacement!
I'll have to look into that cam card, but the TF heads generally have much better exhaust ports, so that's got to help a lot.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
The floor thickness is 6". The sidewall is 12". Due to the barn being built on an incline, one side is higher. The side already completed is 16' wide with 10' in height. The rest is 34' and 12'. The 12' wall will allow me to install a two post lift. The barn is 40x50.

I went with this cam as I want to be able to stop when the time comes. Anyone who has ever ran a big came knows what i mean. I ran a 360 SBC (350 at .060 over) with a .650 lift. Ran down in the tens at the strip. That was the engine with the Demon 750 and TCI TH 350. The cam was great on the track but, awful on the street. The main problem was vacuum. Power brakes detest big cams! This cam should allow for good vacuum without having to install a vacuum canister. I want to be able to run this truck at the track and still be able to cruise it at a car meet.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thank you for the reply!

But Hydroboost brakes don't care one bit.
Astrovans are everywhere.....

Gary can offer some insight into how firm they are, although his 460 doesn't have a radical cam.

How many inches do you have at idle?
My only experience with Cleveland's is in Panteras.

Very nice garage BTW!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
The engine is still on the stand so, I can't sat say for sure. I hope to be above 15". The .650 in the Chevy barely pulled 10" on the gauge. The TFS heads and Air Gap manifold will probably add to the lack of great vacuum. Worst case scenario, I'll add a canister to assist the brakes. Canisters are a cheap fix.
Thanks for the heads up on the hydro boost . Just now reading up on them. Looks like it could be the way to go... I mean stop
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sure sorry to see that you have cancer.  That's awful!  Sure hope the treatments and the surgery solve the problem.

As for the brakes, I'll second the hydroboost suggestion.  Big Blue has never stopped this well.  You don't push on the brake pedal unless you want action NOW!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But it is easy to modulate, no?

More like modern brakes in a 35 year old truck...
 Jim,