classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Project 83 F100 mutt

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the brakes are easy to modulate.  I'd put them in the same league as those in Blue, my 2015 F150.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
So, what I’m seeing, I remove the stock vacuum booster and replace it with the hydro booster. I then plumb it to the the power steering gearbox eliminating the need for vacuum?
“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes.  We have some info about it on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then the Master Cylinders & Boosters tab and then the Hydroboost Upgrade tab.  There are some pics of my installation here.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
Looking at Hydratech's website. Seems pricey but, a small price to pay considering what's at stake. Looking at this and thinking, "I could had gone with a BIGGER cam  "
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, you don't even have the heads on yet....  

I don't know what your guide clearance is, nor your installed spring height.

I've never used a Hydratech unit, just swapped F-450 & Lincoln boosters.
Have helped modify a few Astrovan booster mounting flanges for trucks too.

The Saginaw pumps come up freshly rebuilt (with pulleys) on U-techcenter for ~$50 all the time.
Though I don't know what bracketry you'd need for a 335 series engine.

I think Gary intended to put one on his Dads Truck 400.
They might use the same mount as the C?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
Yup, with the engine not yet completed and running, I'm getting way in front of myself. Probably going to be fine as the engine builder said. Much ado about nothing
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
In reply to this post by MarkF100
I haven’t been around much although, I have checked the site from time to time. Everyone’s projects are looking great 👍 That model T, WOW!!! Just to darn cool.
Anyway, I have made it through the surgery (resection) and, radiation treatment. All 27 of them. Cannot say it was painless. Quite the opposite. Hoping to get a release from the doc tomorrow so to get back on the rails. Enough about that. On towards my mutt truck.
I haven’t really done much. I have gotten my intake manifold. Edelbrock Air Gap. MSD distributor (mechanical advance) will be here tomorrow. If I get back to work, I’ll have the Trick Flow heads and rockers by spring time.
It’s not much yet, it’s better than nothing 😁
Air Gap on Cleveland
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mark - Wow!  27 radiation treatments?  That is scary.  I sure pray you get the release tomorrow.  

But the engine is looking good, and it is going to well worth waiting for.

Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
Finally, back on the rails. Good thing as we (she) bought a new (used) truck. Railroad retirement sick benefits helped but, just not enough. What we (she) got is a 2020 Ranger XLT with 5500 miles on it. Beautiful truck.
I have gotten a bit further on the engine. Got the manifold. Edelbrock air gap. MSD mechanical advance pro billet distributor. And the Trick Flow Power Port 195cc heads 62cc combustion chambers. I have a few more parts to get to finish the engine. I have a 750 Speed Demon that I plan on using but, have considered a 750 Quick Fuel. The Demon served me well years ago so... might be just fine.
Next on my list is the transmission. The cam I'm using is best with a four speed and 3.50 or lower gearing. So, I am thinking 3.70 in the 9 inch and a Tremec 5 or 6 speed from Modern Drive Line. I think I'm getting close to being half way through the most expensive part of this build. Good to be back on the railroad.

Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
Question for Gary or anyone else. I believe you’re running a 351m in Big Blue. I recall seeing TFS heads on it. Are you using 1.73 rockers and 8” pushrods?
Also, is anyone using a Tremec? I did find a thread on Ford-Trucks forum that is about 6 years old by EffunFiddy on installing a Tremec. I’m just wondering if anyone on this forum as done this swap.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary has a Tim Meyer built 400 in his dad's truck.

Big Blue is a Scott Johnston built EFI 460 with a carb adapter (for now)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mark - I think she'll like the Ranger.  I've heard good things about them.

And your engine is looking good.  But Jim is right, my engine is a 400, although the block was originally a 351M, and it was built by Tim Meyer.  I don't remember what rockers he used on the TFS heads.  Sorry.

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
Haven’t posted in awhile. The build is still going on. I got the cab stripped out and about ready to lift it off of the frame. It’ll be ready for paint, come spring. I ran the VIN the other day and this truck was born a flareside. I was told that it was a styleside until it got hit. Someone probably put the styleside on before the last guy had it. The paint under the black is white, on the bed. On the cab and fenders it is maroon. Also, The VIN shows that it was a 300 six, as he said. However, VIN shows it had an AOD and not a 3 speed manual. I’m putting a Tremec 6 speed in her. Found a good clutch pedal assembly for 179.00 on eBay. I saw a thread on another truck site about swapping in a Tremec. Looks like an easy job. Also, seeing that it is getting a new harness and dash from Classic Dash, power windows should be added. Has anyone here done this swap? Anyway, I’ll post a few pictures when I get a chance. I’m down in Houston right now waiting to sit on the rails. One more thing. I got my barn finish. Sure makes working on the truck and bikes a lot easier.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you are making progress.  

But what is this about sitting on the rails in Houston?  

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
Sitting on the rails? Putting my rail flaw detector on the tracks so to perform a nondestructive test of the steel.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

A few pics of the progress from last weekend. I’ll have some parts for sale sometime in the future.
The two cutouts on the hump are curious. So is the small hole in the firewall near the broke pedal assembly mount. I’m just not so sure that this truck ever had a manual in it as the previous owner stated. Looking at the assembly mount, it does show that something was mounted there. The small hole does align with it. There very well may had been a clutch in it. Regardless, my new used one will be at the house before I get out of Texas.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think that cab is from a pre-83 truck so it would have had a mechanical clutch linkage.  Which is why there aren't holes for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder in the firewall.  And it was probably a 3-on-the-tree and someone put a floor shift in, which is why you have the small hole in the tranny hump.

I would want to put a firewall brace on it before installing the pedal assembly.  The firewall wasn't designed for the hydraulic mechanism and many of them cracked, which is why Ford came out with the brace.  You can read about that on the Clutch Linkage tab on the page at Documenation/Driveline/Clutches & Linkage.

As for "sitting on the rails", I forgot what you do.  Given that you may like the picture I saw yesterday in a Holiday Inn Express in St Joe, MO:

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100

Another decoder shows the same plus it having an AOD. Someone probably did swap in a stick and a mechanical clutch. I’ll be going with hydraulic. I do know of the issue with cracked firewalls. I’ll be ordering the brace and a few other items soon.
The same VIN is on the dash tag.
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson