185 messages Options
1234567 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you suggesting those Jeeps are going to need to be put back together?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I have seen YouTube videos where Jeeps needed welding to get back off the trail.  I've also seen French trucks need welding.  So far I haven't seen any Fords need it though!  (and there's no way that's due to the larger numbers of Jeeps and French trucks I see in videos, it has to be due to Ford's superiority)

But seriously, welding can be a life saver in certain situations.  I've seen tie rods, steering knuckles, even leaf springs welded as a trail fix (on YouTube, never in person).  I'm not saying you should add welding capability, but it might be something to consider.  (Full disclosure, I don't have any way to weld on the trail and I have absolutely no plans to change that.)

There are higher end options, like adding a Premier Power Welder.  But one of the old Jeep guys I met up with last year has an ammo can that he carries welding cables and a few welding rods in, as well as some welding goggles.  He takes the battery out of his Jeep and the Jeep that needs welding, hooks them in series and does some pretty amazing repairs.

Of course to do that you need to know how to stick weld (I don't).  It'd be pretty pointless to have all of the equipment and still not be able to fix things.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't realize that with 24 volts, and lots of current, you can stick-weld.  I've done a bit of stick welding, but that was decades ago, before I got the MIG.  Once I got the MIG a friend borrowed the stick welder and when I moved I told him to keep it.

I can see that having welding abilities might be pretty handy when in the back of beyond.  And if I ever get to go there, wherever that is, I'll consider adding welding capabilities.  But for Ouray, I think I'll just pull the broken vehicles out and then take the driver to town to get parts.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
There are many options for onboard welders. You probably have a pretty large alternator on Big Blue so you could add that capability some day.
Its been a while since I was researching it, but some companies do make portable spool guns, so you can flux weld anywhere you go.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I have a 3G capable of 130 amps, so there's plenty of power.  But since I have the 3KW inverter it would seem like one of the little welders would work nicely.  For instance the HF Titanium Easy Flux 125 should work nicely on the inverter as it is said to pull a max of 23 amps, and that times 120 volts is 2760 watts.  The inverter is good for twice that on startup, so it should work nicely - although Jim may know for sure since I got the inverter from him and he has one of those welders.

Anyway, if I do get the urge to have a welder on Big Blue I'll start a thread on that, for sure.  Thanks, for the suggestion.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did more toolbox loading today.  Bill - I've tagged you as I'd like to know your thoughts on what I might need in my "carburetion" toolbox in order to do jet and/or rod changes, or anything else that comes up.  Here's what I have at present:

☒ Carter strip kit with jets & reds

☒ Edelbrock #1487 carburetor calibration kit

☒ Edelbrock #1499 carburetor lid gaskets

☒ Edelbrock #1465 offroad inlet needle set

☒ T25 Torx driver for the screws on the lid

☒ Jet screwdriver - a narrowed screwdriver that just fits the Eddy jets

​☒ 6” steel rule for setting float levels

And I have the Edelbrock manual on tuning the carbs.

Any thoughts, y'all?

Also, I went through my spare sockets and ended up with full sets of 1/4" & 3/8" drive in both SAE and metric.  And since I already had the 1/2" drive SAE sockets in, I think all I'm missing are some of the metric sockets used on the suspension, like 15 and 17 MM.  So I need to do some research to see what is used there.

But, I'd be thrilled if some of you know off the top of your head.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gee, if the EFI system was up you probably wouldn't need anything except maybe a spare TFI module. The Carter stuff looks about right, bowl gasket(s) definitely. Did you forget the step ladder so you can comfortably reach the carb?

As far as suspension, I can't help you there, my rear is about the same, but front is completely different.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, yes the EFI would solve a lot of problems, but that's not gonna happen 'twixt now and September.  Hopefully this winter.

Anyway, I'm glad you think I'm taking the right tools.  But the step ladder might be a good idea.  However, I can stand on the bumper and get there, although I don't like to do that since the chrome is quite thin.

My plan is to go back in my thread and see if I documented what jets and rods are in the carb.  If so then I'll work through the tuning guide and see what jets and rods I might need at 8000+ feet and then make sure I have them in the kits.  So I might ping you on that to see if you agree with my thinking.

And, thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I've never had my lunchbox welder trip a 20 circuit.  
Though I've never seen a need to run it maxed out either.
The duty cycle takes a big hit, and I consider a 1/4" beveled fitup enough.
It does get better penetration once your bead gets some heat into the work.

I definitely think that inverter could run it, but you would probably want the alternator charging.
I don't have dual batteries, and certainly nothing with the capacity of yours.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know, Jim, thanks.

Yes, if I were welding I'd probably have the engine running.  However, I will say that I've run the compressor several times with the engine off, and it lights most of the LED's on the inverter.  So I know that the battery can handle it for a while.

Anyway, the HF Titanium is an option - if I want to carry a welder.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've never considered doing the overlanding/rock crawling scene, or what I would want to bring.

I can see where the little Titanium would be really handy on a farm or ranch where you might need to build a gate or something.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sure you know, but for the others, overlanding and rock crawling are two very different things. The true overlanding vehicles I've seen don't have nearly the capability of Big Blue for going over difficult things. They seem to take fairly late model vehicles and add gear for camping in the back of beyond. Sleeping facilities, serious ice chests if not refrigerators, dual battery systems and many times solar charging thereof, etc.

Big Blue is a mix of offroader, albeit not "serious", overlander, and work truck. And we all know that a jack of all trades is a master of none. But, he should be capable of doing what little overlanding and offroading I want to do. However, he probably couldn't come close to rock crawling.

But the ability to repair things when in the back of beyond might come in very handy, so the Titanium could fit into both an overlanding as well as a work truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I included both to say "the back of beyond"... as in straying far enough into it that I might have to facilitate my own rescue nor pushing hard enough to break something substantial.

Bringing a welder is an order of magnitude beyond enough water, a winch or high lift jack in my mind.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, I haven't found a 17mm nut on my truck.
All the crossmembers, suspension and bumper brackets are 18mm.

You might want a 15 deep for the fuel tank straps.
Those threads are too long for a short socket.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, "the back of beyond" is far enough away that getting out might be up to you.  Hence the need for any possibly-needed tool.

Good points on the suspension and tank straps.  I doubt the straps will come loose as I double-nutted them, but I do want to be prepared in any event.  And the suspension could be critical.  Deep sockets are in order.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I was trying to think what else is 15mm???

Horrid Fate deep impact socket sets are cheap as chips.
Just make sure it comes with 18mm

It might be worth it to just grab a set. They come on a plastic rail holder.

Edit: 10 can work for 3/8, 11 for 7/16, 13 for 1/2, 14 for 9/16, 16 for 5/8, 19 for 3/4 and 22 for 7/8.

Though there are really very few metric sizes fastener on these chassis.
.... Then you have the 7mm fasteners in the dash and radiator support.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have a whole lot of extraneous sockets so may have a set of deep metrics that I can put in.  But if not, I know where HF is.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm sure you know, but for the others, overlanding and rock crawling are two <u>very</u> different things....
But the ability to repair things when in the back of beyond might come in very handy, so the Titanium could fit into both an overlanding as well as a work truck.
The most serious rock crawling usually happens pretty close to the trailers, so trail repairs are so critical.  Where it gets more critical is on a trail like the Rubicon that takes 2 days or so to traverse.  One or two nights isn't very serious as overlanding goes, and from what I've heard, the Rubicon isn't anywhere close to the hardest rockcrawling trail out there.  But when you're a day in and break the arm off your steering knuckle, a trail welder is one of very few options available.  Because getting a tow truck in to retrieve a truck that won't steer might not be an option, and if it is, it won't be cheap!  (We were warned that tow charges on the trails we were on in Canyonlands National Park will exceed $1000!)

But again, I'm not saying that's anywhere near necessary for Ouray, or that it's something that I expect you will eventually need.  I'm just enabling!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Aw shucks!  You mean I have no "good" reason to run out and buy a welder?  

Having said that, I am wondering about taking wire nuts.  I know they have no place in a vehicle's wiring - long term.  But, I'm thinking about short term.  What if we tear up some wiring?  With wire nuts we could use the ~25' roll of #16 I'm taking to effect some temp fixes that I'd replace when we get home.

Yes, I could take a soldering gun, solder, connectors, crimpers, heat shrink, heat gun, etc to make a permanent fix.  But that would take a lot of time and I'd rather be running the trails than making repairs.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you're at Horrid Fate (looking at welders or socket sets. ) just go grab one of their small assortments of crimp connectors and terminals.
A butt, eyelet or spade terminal is going to help you a lot more than a wire nut in most cases.

Edit:
Vigrue (on Amazon) has a nice little kit of marine shrink terminals.
 Jim,
1234567 ... 10