classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
185 messages Options
123456 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

grumpin
Several sizes of hose clamps. Knife and or knives.

And of course, a coffee maker!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - I just edited the file to say "Add more" hose clamps.

As for knives, I have a box knife in, but had forgotten my Swiss Army tool set.  I bought it in Nuremberg a few years ago on a trip, and have never really used it.  So it is now on the list.

Thanks!

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, I forgot the coffee maker.  Well, I supposed we could take one, but surely some place in Ouray makes good coffee?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Chris.  I saw that also when I Googled "coffee in Ouray" and that came up as the first hit.

Have you been there?  Do you have a "review"?

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
I would add some sort of tree saw. In our years of wheeling we have needed something more than once or twice. One of the guys now carrys a small chainsaw. You shouldn't need anything in Ouray, but as a thought for the overlanding part. But of course we have a lot of woods around us that we wheel in.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
No, sorry, I haven't been to Ouray since the 1970s.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Dane - I just edited the file to say "Add more" hose clamps.

As for knives, I have a box knife in, but had forgotten my Swiss Army tool set.  I bought it in Nuremberg a few years ago on a trip, and have never really used it.  So it is now on the list.

Thanks!

I looked through it twice and still didn’t see hose clamps!

I like the Swiss Army Knife tool!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bruce - I agree that a saw would be well advised when overlanding.  In fact on the GOAT we found a place where we were just able to get through w/o trimming a tree.  So when we go overlanding I'll take my Ridgid reciprocating saw and some long blades, as well as the battery charger and two batteries.  That thing is amazing and should be all I'll ever need.  But, for the Ouray trip I'm not sure that will be needed.  From what I've seen the trails are well above tree line.

Dane - No wonder you couldn't find the hose clamps.  They, and several other things, were buried in the Sockets section of the Hand Tool Box.    I've moved all of them out from under Sockets, and turned the hose clamp entry red - just for you.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, I forgot the Swiss Army tool.  There's a story with that.  Years ago we were in Italy and I saw one of those for sale in a little shop and thought it would be nice to have.  But I thought the price was too high and surely I could get it back home for less.

However, when we got back home I found that the price here is every bit, if not more, than what they wanted in Italy.  And, of course, I wouldn't have purchased it in Italy so it wouldn't be all that special.

A few years later we went on a cruise on the Danube and started in Nuremberg.  As we always do, before leaving Janey and I discussed what we would be shopping for on the trip, and that Swiss Army tool was my item.  We landed in Nuremberg and started wandering the Old Town and there it was!  And for a good price.  So within 2 hours of landing on a 2 week trip I bought what I was looking for.  

But I watched for it the whole rest of the time and found that I really did get a good deal.  No one else had it for that price, and in most cases they didn't have it in stock.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Very cool!

I see those hose clamps now!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, the hose clamps are visible now, out where they should have been.  And I added the Grypmat to the list.  My son got me that for just this kind of trip, so it'll be in there.

Anyway, this list is great as it lets me slowly think through all of the things that might be needed and I have a good place to keep it so I can get back to it.  And, y'all can comment.  So, keep those cards and letters flowing in!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Bruce - I agree that a saw would be well advised when overlanding...  But, for the Ouray trip I'm not sure that will be needed.  From what I've seen the trails are well above tree line....
For what it's worth, much of the trails start below tree line, so you are in trees a lot (you get above tree line and are out of them a lot too).  But I'd still agree that a saw isn't needed.  The trails get so much traffic that any trees across them will get taken care of pretty quick (I've never seen a tree blocking a trail around Ouray, but it it very common in the Black Hills).

As to your tool box list, it's way more complete than what I end up taking, so I don't know that I can help.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, now that I think about it, you are correct.  Last Dollar Road wasn't above the tree line, for sure.  In fact we went through stands of glorious aspen many times.  And when we left Ophir we were in trees for quite a while.

But there is a lot of traffic and I doubt a tree would stay there long.  However, if I have the room I'll take the saw.

As for the tool box, the "hand tool box" and most of what I'm showing in it went with us to Lake Powell.  And it saved our bacon.  One day we lost both the idle air controller and the shift linkage on the boat - and we were 30 miles up the lake.  The next day my brother and I tackled both problems with what we had, and we got the boat serviceable for the rest of the trip.  So I'm a fan of having as much as I can think of on a trip like this.

I'm meeting him in early July for a family get-together and will give him a copy of the list.  But I need to include his sons as they do a lot of off-roading with RZR's and surely have experience with what tools they've needed.

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Im not sure if I saw ratchett straps on the list.

The other things I never go camping/adventuring without is baling wire and electrical tape.
And I also have a foam yoga mat to throw down if I ever need to get under the truck in the dirt.

And a big hammer.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
You might also want some recovery rope for all those stranded jeeps youll be passing by
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by swampedout
Good ideas!

I already had the ratchet straps in, but not on the list.  They are now.

I always take bailing wire when I take the binders, but they are for tying down loads on the trailer so won't be taking them and didn't have the bailing wire in.  But it is on the list now.

Electrical tape is on the list.

A big hammer wasn't on the list but is now.

As for the yoga mat, I have a roll of marine carpet I always take for the same purpose.  It wasn't on the list but is now.

Thanks!

As for the Jeeps, that's why I have the 12K winch and all the recovery gear, inc the wheel chocks.  Figured I could get two Jeeps at a time with that winch.  

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
I can imagine someone being stuck on a trail and seeing Big Blue coming around the corner. Youll probably make a lot of friends out there!
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
  Yes, that is possible.  From lots of air, and a ratchet strap to aid in resealing a bead, to 'most any tool you'll need, with 110v AC in between he's a rolling workshop.

When he goes overlanding I'll add the Ridgid battery-powered tools like the drill, impact, saw, and maybe even the right-angle grinder.  And the battery charger for the two 4AH batteries I have.  Just fired up the charger on the inverter and it is working perfectly charging one of those batteries, so we'll have lots of "power".  The charger will fit behind the seat in the storage unit and plug into the inverter so we'll always have a hot battery.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Is it time to add welding capabilities?
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins