classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Our Forum Moved - And There Are Problems

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sometime this morning Nabble moved our forum - as anticipated.  But, that has had some unexpected results.

First, I cannot log into the embedded forum with Chrome or Safari.  Only Firefox.  So I've had to take the redirect out so the email notifications we get don't take us to the embedded forum.

And I'm sure you are asking "What do you mean by the embedded forum?"  Here's a brief explanation:

Embedded: The simple way to explain it is if you have a bullnose icon on the browser's tab, that is the embedded forum.  And on the embedded forum view you'll also have the menu up above to get to the rest of the website, meaning Bullnose Forum, Documentation, About, etc.  And this is the version of the forum I cannot log into via Chrome or Safari.  But I can using Firefox.

Direct In: This is when you go directly to the Nabble server w/o going through the website.  And in this case you'll have a big N on the tab of the browser.  This is the way in that isn't redirected to the website, so you won't have the menu above allowing you to get to the rest of the website.  And this works with all browsers I've tried.

The email notifications you get now should take you directly into the forum so everyone should be able to log in.  And we'll have to run in this mode until Nabble fixes the problem.

Also, I think some posts got lost in the move.  For instance David/1986F150Six sent me an email regarding a post he made and I cannot find it.  So check out your posts from last evening until this morning around 5 AM CDT to make sure they "took".  If not, please post again.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Our Forum Moved - And There Are Problems

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, it has been a trying day.  But we may have made progress.

Not only has our forum been moved, but they turned security (https) on, which caused a number of problems.  But once I figured that out and made some changes on Weebly, I think everything is now working.  And on top of that the top of your browser should no longer say "Not secure!"

So, you tell me.  Are you now able to log in with any browser you try?  Are you having any problems?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
No change on Chrome.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - What do you mean about "no change"?  Are you not able to log in via Chrome?  If not, which OS?

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Can't log into the embedded forum.

Chrome, Windows 10 Pro x64.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, how are you getting in?  Firefox?

I'm on Win 10 Pro 64 version 21H1, and my Chrome is Version 92.0.4515.159 (Official Build) (64-bit).  And that combo is working fine.

So, what versions are you on?

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I couldn't log on for a while at work (Chrome, Windows 10) but was able to around 4:00 PM.

I didn't try at home until now and got in with Chrome / Windows 7.

And I guess I'm in the embedded version because I have the bull nose, not the N
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Opening threads in a new tab, which pulls them up in the non-embedded form. Funny enough, it already showed me as logged in... which tells me it's a cookie/status issue, not a login issue per se.

I am able to get to the embedded version (logged on) in chrome on Arch Linux x64... but it's an old version since I haven't installed updates in a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - Yes, around 4 I was still battling with things.  Nabble turned https on w/o telling me, which caused all sorts of problems.  When I realized what they'd done and fixed it (embed code and Weebly) things started working - for me.  But now we need to know if it works for everyone.

Larry - You shouldn't be able to get directly in to the forum as it is redirected to the embedded version.  Are you still able to get in directly?

And you can get in to the embedded version on an old version of Chrome but not a new one?  

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
No problem in Dissenter browser.

No problem in Brave browser.

Both are Chromium variants, Dissenter forked off Brave a couple years ago.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, thanks!

This is like Catch 22!  People that can post tell me what works.  People that can't post don't tell me what doesn't work.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Once I refreshed the cache, at least on my garage computer (Chrome, Windows 10 Pro x64), it's working correctly. When I get to work, I'll see if my work laptop agrees...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!  But please let me know from work.

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I'm in on the work PC.   Win 10, Chrome.   Site has the new decal logo at top.   I just used whatever came up when I started typing Gar.... it auto filled and I hit enter.   And here I am.   I'm not even going to pretend to know what is going on.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Randy!  That's good to know.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
It is...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ratdude747 wrote
It is...
Yippee!  PROGRESS!

Now, back to my decoding, climbing, etc.... (You'll see in a moment.)

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Gary Lewis wrote
Not only has our forum been moved, but they turned security (https) on?
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Gary! This is important in today's world IMO.

~~

Thanks for the explanation about Janey & your brother, I obviously don't read everything....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - I'd planned to add https when we move to the new AWS servers.  But I was holding off 'cause I expected it to be a hassle to change certificates in the middle of the move.  However, we had no choice as Nabble apparently decided that was the way to solve the log-in problem.

I'd probably have more hair and fewer ulcers had they told me they were doing it instead of letting me catch that one more character, "s", in the the URL.  Fortunately I finally did and then worked out what changes that required on my end.  And now it appears that everything works.

Oddly enough, I suspect that making that one change would have solved the problem with our TEST forum on the AWS servers and we'd have been off of Nabble's servers a few months ago.  That would have mean two less forums to move and less traffic on their servers.

Now we are awaiting Pedro becoming available to help us in September and then maybe we can move.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
I'm with Opa Randy on this ... just hit the icon on the desktop ...
rcarlisle wrote
And here I am.   I'm not even going to pretend to know what is going on.
have the new logo

Since you're wondering about how various systems are working:
Noticed that Jim @ ArdWrknTrk hasn't signed in but then he uses his phone all the time.
Might be an issue, or maybe not.

Edit, may be of interest: Running Safari Version 14.1.2 (15611.3.10.1.5, 15611)
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"