Old School Cool

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
130 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Old School Cool

Jacob84
Thanks all for the kind words! I’ll keep y’all updated on the headlights and upload some more pics soon for y’all.

But unfortunately I have another issue that I need some advice on. I’m starting to understand why Gary and those like him like to use Ford factory parts. Namely when it comes to fuel injection and the like. I’ve been having a lot of trouble lately with my ignition system and my fuel injection, both being aftermarket. For instance, the computer that controls my ignition has gone out twice. I can’t have that, this is my daily driver. The fuel injection, no matter how much I mess with it, drowns the motor in fuel under WOT. I can’t have that either as it is so rich it’s causing the motor to knock.

I’m not exactly looking for tech advice on what I have in the truck right now (it would be difficult to try and explain the why/how/what of it all but I’m open to it) but rather I’m trying to formulate a plan B if I cannot get these issues sorted soon.

My plan B would consist of converting to a factory 1995 or thereabouts fuel injection system with the factory controlled timing. I have the majority of what I need to get it done, I have the entire donor truck sitting next to the shop and parts inside the shop. A couple things I do need to sort out 1) the engine harness had been chewed up by squirrels so I need a new one of those. 2) I need to make sure my cam will play nice with the factory efi. 3) I need to figure out if I need a speed sensor although I’m currently running a C6 trans. 4) everything else, lol.

I’m really just wanting this truck to be reliable and run right. Do I like being able to control every aspect of the motor from the front seat and being able to do performance upgrades to my motor with no issue? Of course, but I’d rather have a mild motor that runs great and reliable all the time than a high performance motor that runs great and reliable 25% of the time.

I’d really like to hear from some of y’all that have done factory/factory-ish efi conversions or have good experience with Ford’s 90s EEC systems and what they require to function correctly. Again, this is just a plan B but I want to be ready if I have do it.
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Hey guys, I was able to put some new wheel bearings in the rear. More importantly I was able to put in my new third member as well. The third member is nodular iron, has extra ribbing and material around the rear pinion support, Yukon coated gears, a beefed up and more aggressive clutch style limited slip, Daytona front pinion support, and more I’m probably forgetting. It’s a pretty stout unit, good to 650 horse according to the company I got it from.

Now that’s way overkill for me but it was cheaper than a stock unit when I bought it. A win win for me. And I’ll never have to touch the rearend no matter what motor I put in front of it. Next time I go through the 351w I got I’ll build a 393 with gobs of torque and mid range power. Not that I’ll touch that 650 horse limit but you never know what might change in the future and I like things a little overbuilt

Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
That's NICE!!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
In reply to this post by Jacob84
Here are some things I want to get accomplished soon. This can serve as a bit of a checklist for me.

-fix holes in floors and rockers using the good metal from the parts truck

-find a new seat since mine is quite literally falling to pieces

-install carpet and sound deadening

-install 95 f150 underhood ac box and refresh the system so it’ll be ready for summer

-paint the turbine wheels

-come up with a budget friendly bed cover (have a good idea on this)

-also fix up my grandpa’s camper shell. He passed away when I was young but the one he bought for his 69 F100 (which he drove from new till the day he passed away, we still have thankfully) fits my truck perfectly. I’ll use it from time to time.

-fix the wobbly column shifter and put in the correct shifter levers

-get the radio working at some point

-detail/degrease everything under the hood

-come up with a behind the seat storage system (I really like the canvas style systems that have storage for a rifle and other pouches for whatever else you might need). I keep a fire extinguisher behind the seat and a first aid kit so I want to find a way to secure them as well

-install a trans cooler from the 95 f150, much stouter unit than what I’ve got right now

-get the anchored sun visors in so I can get those floppy ones out

-figure out if my extra BW1356 will be a direct bolt in other than the tail shaft so I might install that. If not I’ll sell it

-sell all the other parts I’ve got from the parts truck and scrap the rest. E4OD, cruise control unit maybe, upper and lower efi manifolds, trans crossmember, rear end 8.8 (needs a total rebuild but has a provision for the vss), power distribution box unless I decide to keep it, one door, blah blah blah. There’s a lot.

-eventually I’d like to find some sort of overdrive unit but I can’t find anything I really like. But that’s way on down the road, I’m not dropping money on that for awhile.

I just want to fix the things that would make me more comfortable and save me money in the long run. Thankfully, I have almost everything I need that I’ve already mentioned in my list.

I love my truck but it’s almost too important to me and I’m constantly looking at what I can do to make it better. But as of now I don’t plan on any really big upgrades but I’m gonna try and hold myself back and only do whats necessary and makes good sense. The third member needed to be replaced so I jumped on that and did well I think but after this it’ll be pretty standard stuff. Trying to make some better decisions as I go forward with it and not go crazy with the “upgrade” bug. And like I said, I have 90% of what I need in parts just laying around just need the time and maybe a little help. There are more important things I need to worry about than all the new fancy upgrades. Y’all can help me with that if you’re so inclined
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
That's NICE!!

Thank ya thank ya I’m almost done with the break in period and will change the fluid soon, hopefully all is well. No weird noises to report either. I can tell a huge difference in the “on road manners”, especially in wet weather
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's quite a list, but by keeping a list you can work through it and see progress.  And, it is important to be able to see results so you can feel good about your progress.  Keep on truckin' and you'll get there.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Yes sir! One step at a time
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Life is easier when the weak link in your drivetrain is a $16 U-joint rather than a ring and pinion!

Be careful in the snow with a tight clutch in that rear.
It can be fun, but it can get hairy if you're not expecting it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
It certainly looks stout!

What sort of bed cover are you looking for?
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Jim- Most definitely. We don’t get snow here very often but it does happen. We’re on a sort of dividing line, just north of us got a ton of snow a couple days ago. We got cold rain. We usually end up with sleet and freezing rain when a storm system moves through. That’s ten times worse IMO. Kinda hard to drive on ice and it usually takes a ton of limbs out and knocks down power lines. People also lose their minds and forget how to drive their cars in inclement weather where I’m at. Even in the rain.

One of the big problems I had with the last limited slip was that it was worn out but every once in a while it would catch. I’d pull out onto a wet highway and get some one wheel peel. I’d feather the throttle a bit, counter steer and I’d be fine. Until the clutches would bite a little and upset the rear of the truck and the differential wouldn’t decide which wheel it was gonna send power to so the rear of the truck would dance back and forth. Pretty scary when you’ve got a big rig coming over the hill all the sudden. Much pucker factor.

Rob- Thank you! it sure does look the part, and that’s 90% of what matters right? Looking cool and tough? Lol

I’ve kinda thrown a couple ideas around for the bed cover. A hard bed cover is most ideal for security, looks, you can put stuff on it etc. But I really need something I can remove or tuck away quickly. The two ideas I had were either a roll up cover (quick, simple, cheap) or something that had slats I could slide in or out and tuck them behind my toolbox. The toolbox shouldn’t get in the way, it sits just at or below the top of the bed

The main reason is to keep things a little more protected and dry. I know most stuff isn’t 100% waterproof but if it comes a flood like Noah and the Ark I’d like things not soaking wet. It also adds some concealment to what you’ve got in your bed. I haven’t had anything stolen out of my bed yet but there’s always a first time.
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
If you decide on a roll-up, look at Truxedo. Very reasonably priced, but appears well made and it fits well(an issue mentioned in a lot of reviews for other brands). Can't speak to how long it will last, it's only been a few months and my truck is parked inside...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
I’ve seen those and I saw some pictures you posted of it on your truck. It looks slick! I’ll definitely keep it in mind. I’ve got a pretty good idea of how to make my own using some marine grade canvas and a sewing machine. But I’m still throwing around the idea of a hard top of some sort.....maybe. I won’t make up my mind until I start working on it.

Here’s how the truck sits now. Everything sits at or below the bedsides. It looks nice and clean from the side or rear.

Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My buddy Martin has a DNA motoring tri fold cover on his Silverado.
I'm not sure if they make one for our trucks but his has held up well and he likes it.

(Not an endorsement, just anecdotal evidence)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I’m sure you’ve seen the soft topper , but thought I’d mention it.

https://www.softopper.com/softopper

And,

https://www.bestop.com/supertop-for-truck/
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Jim- Those look pretty nice and they’re a resonable price for a hard cover. I like it

Dane- I have seen those and I really like those too for the functionality. A camper shell top would do me well. I’ve actually got a camper shell it just needs a ton of work. Here’s a picture of it when I had it on a couple years ago.

This belonged to my grandpa and he ran it on his 69 F100, you can see the roof in the back. I’m gonna fix the shell up (yes and the F100) for sentimental value and it really is gonna be nice when it’s done. It’s got real glass windows, locking latch, and ready for for new clearance/marker lights. It comes in handy. But for normal day to day I like an option where I can quickly cover and uncover the bed in a matter of minutes rather than having to ask for help to remove the camper shell. Which is why I like the options y’all pointed out.

I’m also looking for an option for a spare tire. I have a bed mount bracket that came on the truck but I took it off to put my toolbox in and I have bigger tires now, 33x12.50. I don’t want to mount a tire to the bedside that is that heavy without some bracing and I’d lose the flush bedcover option unless I got creative. I also value my bed space. A 33” tall tire takes up a ton of space laying flat in the truck bed. That leaves me with having to mount it on the rear bumper in some way.....
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Just a thought about the spare tire mounting. What about a swing away tire mount from the same era Bronco? In my mind, it solves all of your problems.

Again, just a thought.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I like the topper! That’ll be great fixed up.

LMC has a mount that would stand up the spare where you want it. Their part number 38-3196-F. (Man they need to do something about their website!)

I had a canopy (topper or cap) on my truck, one thing that happens is I want to keep it clean and then I don’t use it as a truck. It’s also hard now for me to get in under the canopy and do anything.

I like my big Weatherguard toolbox, my buddy looked at it and said good thing you have a long bed! So that would be tough if my spare wasn’t mounted below.

Edit, Steve’s idea on the Bronco swing away is a good one to consider.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Steve- I’d love a swing out carrier like the Broncos have. It’s real hard to find one though and they’re not cheap. And I also wonder how well the rear corner of the truck bed would support the tire. I think Broncos got some sort of extra bracing? But yes, that’s a really good idea and it would look really clean and factory

Dane- You’re right, they definitely need to do something about the website. I really dislike navigating it anymore. I saw that mount and I’m definitely keeping it in mind. It’s much better than laying the tire down in the back. I’ve got a long bed too but even when I had a 31” tire laying there it didn’t have much room. Then if you haul something you’ve gotta wedge the tire in somewhere or leave it

On the topper, that’s one thing I don’t like either. If I want in my toolbox I’ve got climb in and waddle to my toolbox when the shell is on it. I’d limit it to camping or trips only if I needed it. I’d love to keep it on there but I get into my toolbox too much and I’m not dropping $1k on one of those bed drawer systems and lose all my cargo area.

This is perfect, but I’m sure that bumper $800+. I think this one was on the BroncoGraveyard website

Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
There are three 80-86 Bronco's here at the local U-Pick it. I was going to look into going up there this Saturday to find stuff I am missing. I can look and see if there is anything different on the rear fender of a Bronco that is not there on an F150.

Keep in mind that there is a latch in the center top of the tailgate that holds it closed and supports it when it is closed.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jacob - You might want to take a look at this thread: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Rear-Bumper-Spare-Tire-Mount-Thoughts-td15331.html.  I'd start at the back and go forward.

I still haven't gotten it built, but plan to do so.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI