585 messages Options
1 ... 252627282930
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Nothing Special's '71 Bronco

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Man, what a pain!  This is because you have the smaller tubes with the bigger axles?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Not exactly, but yes.  I think the tubes on all Bronco 9" axles are the same, but at the end of the tubes the later ones (after about '75???) expand out.  So the earlier ones (like mine) have a smaller OD bearing (2.83") and the later ones have a larger OD bearing (~3.14").

The shafts are also different, with the small bearing axles having a ~1.38" diameter through the bearing while the large bearing axles have ~1.53".

But I'm running axles even larger than that.  Mine are 1.562" at the bearing.

Stock axle shafts in both the small and large bearing axles have 28 splines.  I'm running 31 splines.  The guy who wouldn't sell me the bearing I need said it is possible to run 31 spline axles in a standard ID "small bearing."  Obviously that would require new shafts.  But I don't really think the OD of the splined section is less than the 1.38" of the bearing ID.  So maybe I can get a set of spare shafts that will take a more common size bearing???  Or maybe not???

Anyway, for now I just want to get it running with the axle shafts I have.  And hopefully I'm getting the parts I need to do that.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's hoping it works!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
The parts came today, and the look and measure the same as what was on there, so I think I've got what I need!

Tonight I cut off the old parts.  A 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel made quick work of the outer race and the locking ring.  I cut most of the way through with the wheel and then whacked it with a chisel to crack it the rest of the way.  The locking ring slid off after it cracked, but I had to cut the outer race in a second place because it wouldn't slide over the balls.

I couldn't get very far into the inner race with the angle grinder.  The large dia wheel was going to bite the axle shaft if I did.  So I used a 1" cutoff wheel in a little air-powered die grinder, with the chisel finishing the job again.

Cleaning the shaft up wrapped up tonight's efforts.  I'll bring it and the new bearing and locking ring to work tomorrow so I can put them on with a hydraulic press.  Then with a little luck I should be able to put it back in tomorrow night!

I was surprised how good the old bearings look.  Not that they look good, there's definite wear on both races and on the balls.  But nowhere near as much as I expected for the amount of slop in them.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - Those balls and races aren't "gone", but sure don't look good.  And particularly the balls.  

Glad you are replacing them.  Hope you get things together today.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Yeah, they've been making noise for at least a year, and the surfaces are clearly shot.  No question it was past time to replace the bearing.  I just expected it to have a lot more missing material for how much slop was in the bearing.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
It's back together and it's quiet!

Pressing the new bearing and ring on was pretty easy with a 25 ton hydraulic press.  The only challenge was getting a good support under it as I didn't have a thick plate with a 1.6" hole, but it worked out in the end.

Getting the shaft back in the housing was easy.  And I even had enough gear lube on hand to refill it (barely)!

It is funny driving it.  I hadn't realized how much I was accustomed to the bearing noise.  It almost sounds wrong without it!  I'm sure I'll adapt!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Glad you had some good luck to close out the repair!  

Of course now you'll be able to hear some new troubling sound. (I suggest you turn up the radio)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
ArdWrknTrk wrote
....  Of course now you'll be able to hear some new troubling sound. (I suggest you turn up the radio)
We all tend to collect more tools as we go.  Unfortunately a radio isn't one of the tools I have available in Pluto.  Maybe I need to address that???
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - You may not be serious, but if I were driving a truck by myself mostly I'd be tempted to use Airpods.  Our son got me some recently and I'm finding them quite useful.  The bass from them is amazing, they are comfortable, and you'd have music, hands-free, and navigation all in one.

But you probably don't drive Pluto by yourself all that much, save for when you are wheeling, and then you'd want to concentrate on the task at hand rather than music.  And you need to be able to hear the spotters.  So they'd probably not work out well for you.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
[..] I'd be tempted to use Airpods.  Our son got me some recently and I'm finding them quite useful.  The bass from them is amazing, they are comfortable, and you'd have music, hands-free, and navigation all in one.
Gary, if someday you come to drive in Quebec, just remember that it is strictly prohibited to drive while wearing headphones or earphones in both ears.
Same fo bicycles.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This is pretty common (at least here across the northeast)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pretty common to do or pretty common to be illegal, Jim?

Jeff - It is probably illegal here but is not enforced at all.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Against the law to wear anything over or in the ear (except hearing aids)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
There is at least one policeman watching this here.
A friend of mine got a 100$ about that.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
A quick Google search says "You are not permitted to wear headsets in Alaska, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Washington."  By implication, in the other 35 states it's not illegal.

And in Minnesota Google says the law is "No person, while operating a motor vehicle, shall wear headphones or earphones that are used in both ears simultaneously for purposes of receiving or listening to broadcasts or reproductions from radios, tape decks, or other sound-producing or transmitting devices." California seems to be similar according to Google.

Take that for what it's worth.  Neither I nor Google are an attorney!

As far as applying it to Pluto, I currently have no blue teeth in my life and I certainly don't see old-school Pluto being my first application!  Pluto does actually have a stereo, but the seal at the bottom of his fold-down windshield leaks and water eventually renders the stereo inoperable.  That's happened to him twice now, and I haven't got around to replacing it this time.  I drove him down to Missouri in 2020 (600 miles each way), and have taken him on a number of hunting trips (a couple hours each way) since losing the stereo.  So obviously I'm not one of the "gotta have my tunes" sort of guy.  And while I do now have a cell phone , it rarely leaves the dining room table, so obviously the hands-free phone use isn't a factor.  And I hate listening to a nav system.  So I'm good with what I currently (don't) have!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I guess I'm just used to seeing them frequently here so had forgotten that they might be illegal in other places.

But I now remember reading an article about the flawed theory behind those laws.  The idea was to ensure that drivers hear sirens, but none of the laws prevent either the auto manufacturers nor owners from "sound proofing" the vehicles.  Manufacturers have gone a long way towards making the high-end vehicles as "quiet as a tomb", and some have applied active noise cancellation.

Which brings me back to the Airpods, which do have noise cancellation.  It isn't so effective that I couldn't hear a siren, but I do understand that it could be a problem if I drove with my Airpods in and my 3M Workmate headphones over them, which I do when I'm mowing.  That combo makes my JD commercial zero-turn so quiet I can hardly hear it, and would probably render a siren so quiet it would never be heard.

So I do understand the reason behind the laws and withdraw my suggestion.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Even these ricers with stereos so loud that the body and trim rattles.
That's a big reason that all police and fire apparatus around here have whooping bass speakers along with their sirens.

Not sure why CT isn't on that list. My little brother is pretty knowledgeable about regulations, having 27 years on the PD.

SO.... how much soundproofing do you have in your truck, Gary?  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not THAT much.  There's one lay of sound deadening and a layer of foam, but that doesn't kill the road noise of the tires nor the nice sounds that emerge from the headers & Magnaflows.  So even with that, listening to the "radio" gets old pretty quickly as you have to crank it up.

When I'm by myself on drives I often do crank it up, but when someone else is in with me I don't bother as they either don't appreciate the combined loudness or want to talk - or both.

And then there was the issue with the Garmin Montana insisting on hogging the Bluetooth and the Sony couldn't connect to my iPhone.  I finally figured out how to turn BT off on the Garmin so now I can use the Sony.

1 ... 252627282930