123456 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Norwegian F250, 1984, 460, 2wd

Sac79
Seats look great!
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Papelione
The camping looks like fun!  Well done!  

As for the seats, I think I'd swap!  I believe the buckets will bolt right into your truck as they were an option on the Supercabs.

On the starting issue, if I understand what you are saying, the starter will engage but the engine won't start - without pushing the bypass button.  However, once you push the bypass button and the engine starts you can let up on the key and the bypass button and the engine will continue to run.  Right?

If that's true then I'm confused as the engine should catch as you let off the starter but without pushing the bypass button.  Will it do that, at least sometimes?

I say that it should catch as the key comes back to Run as the engine should still be spinning and in Run there is power to the ignition module and coil.  And if it does then the issue is with the wiring from the Start terminal of the ignition switch to Splice 216, as shown below.

If it won't do that then I think we need to figure out what the bypass switch is doing.  Perhaps the previous owner put it there as a safety precaution and took out the wiring to S216?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Those buckets look great! I'd definitely swap also.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
on key it will crank in start, on bypass it will start on start and continue to run this is the way I have been driven it until now.

Going away on work for a week, actuator rod will arrive during that time.

Will install rod and report back after that.

With key fuel pump is operating In run and start and starter is operating in start, have not checked spark with key.

But will do this when actuator rod is in place :=)

Also waiting for Norwegian time correct plates that will fit better, and mounted trifecta 2.0 bedcover, worked great;=) have booked time at the nice guy is helping me with scrathes and dents, and he is to fix the nasty one over right rear wheel arch, and then new chrome will come on, ( see entry post).

Guess good things come to those who wait.

Now it is work time and looking forward to sort this out.

Be safe.

Christian
1984, F250, 2wd, 460, manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Have a safe work trip.  We will be here when you get back.  Perhaps the rod will fix things.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Ok back at it

got the new part LMC calls it "steering lock lever", unfortunately while putting the column together last time turn lights did´nt work after....
pulled it apart again. can't see anything wrong around the turn light switch, hazard lights work.
nothing loose. Could I have broken the turn light switch ?

Best regards

Christian
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Just taking a guess... there are two flashing units. One, mounted on the back of the fuse panel, is for the emergency [hazard] flashers. The one on the front of the fuse panel controls the turn signals. Make certain the flashing unit [round] has not been dislodged.
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Its in place.

Checked fuses , Blue 15A to DIR/BU was bad changed that one.
Not sure what DIR/BU means but it didn't help.

No battery on multi meter....

good news is it looks like I have a tilt column:=)

Guess I call it a day.

Over and out.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
DIR/BU = Directional / Back Up lights
You have a test light? Could use it to check for power and this is what I like to use in this case.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
If hazard lights work all the way round, would I be right to assume that fault is in flasher or switch?
Since fuses, wires and bulbs are in order for Hazards to flash?

Gary used this diagram in a another thread were one was having problem With RH turn lights,
but since I have nothing besides Hazard, I thought testing flasher and if it Clears assume it\s the switch?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, switch the flasher relays (front to back)
Does the situation change?

Does your horn work?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Switched relays

both now only rh hazard is working.

tested with a spare same result, no turn light.

Relays are good, bought test light 5A fuse to inst light doesn't get any power in fuse box.

power to relays and to switch.

Any ideas?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Papelione wrote
Switched relays

both now only rh hazard is working.

tested with a spare same result, no turn light.

Relays are good, bought test light 5A fuse to inst light doesn't get any power in fuse box.

power to relays and to switch.

Any ideas?
If you switched flashers around and only the 4 ways keep working, you have power to both flashers and power into the switch from the turn flasher I would say it is a bed switch.

As for the 5A fuse not having power some fuses don't get power till what ever they protect is turned on.
So turn on the park or head lights and check again.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Ok that's it for tonight, luckily we have midnight sun now so easy to keep going :=)

Disassembly of column is quite a job, was careful not to break or loose anything.

Turnlight switch is out.

Will order new one Monday, probably 10-14 days before its here...

Took tilt function apart was all gummed up and stuck, now its clean and seams to be working fine:=)

But the job started with me wanting to swap the actuator rod lever, which will be done got the part.

But from what I can see a previous owner has made some changes to the wiring from ignition switch and that might be the reason truck will start from bypass and not from key.

In picture below there is a splice into ignition switch were red/lt blue should have been, splice goes to hot side of solenoid were it meets wire from bypass button.

Red/lt blue normal goes to electronic ignition module......

When I get everything back together, and make a soldering and reconnect red/ltblue to its proper place in ignition module, wouldn't you think truck will start from key?

Best regards

Christian

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, when you get things put back correctly I'll bet it starts from the key w/o the bypass button.

And, things are looking good!

Midnight sun!!!!  We'd hoped to make that cruise some day, but now aren't sure we want to go on another cruise at all.

Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Waiting for the turn light Switch, and thought I might as well reconnect red/ltblue to its proper place in the ignition switch, had the right connecter and...........

It will still go to run everything starts up, but in "start" nothing besides the fan goes off. Bypass will turn over but not catch, with the splice from ignition switch red/ltblue to solenoid it would start and catch on the bypass. From what I can see the correct  wires are leaving the ignition switch.

But something must be off since starter doesn't engage with correct wires in ignition switch...

A little dumbfounded just now.

Best

Christian
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Think I will look int the ignition control module tomorrow, that is were red/ltblue goes to.
Could it be failing ? and is that the reason previous owner bypassed it?

To be continued.

:=)
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Ok took a look at the wiring in the engine compartment, from what I can see, "new" wires have been drawn from solenoid to all major components.

Distributor, starter , alternator, wiper motor. Could this be to bypass ignition control module ICM?

Seems like a lot of trouble instead of changing the ICM?

Any thoughts?

Best

Christian
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hard to say w/o knowing how things are bypassed.  But you've gone this far, why not fix it right?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Papelione
All that sounds like nothing is wrong with the ignition module.
And everything is wrong with the previous owner.

Eliminating the factory wiring harness is difficult to make 'improvement', but some people have no idea of their disorder or their ignorance.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
123456 ... 16