New member - Atlanta

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New member - Atlanta

dsstephens
Greetings!  No idea how I didn't find this forum before, but this is a great resource!  Live in north east Atlanta area (Johns Creek).  I have an 86 XLT that has been an on again/off again project.   I'll give a brief history:

Bought the truck about 4 years ago to get work on with my son and get it running for his 16th birthday (he drives a pickup now since this thing has been such a bear)  .  We spent a good bit of time cleaning it up and fixing random maintenance items.  However, the "simple oil pan leak" was anything but simple and resulted in a rebuild.  below is a mix of doing it myself and working with a couple of different shops to various degrees of success.  so now we have:

86 XLT
347 stroker (302 original, but new block since the one we rebuilt grenaded)
SD converted to MAF (fiveology racing kit with 94/95 mustang EEC-IV)
4" superlift
superlift superrunner steering
35" Dick Cepek MT's
4.56 gears
new gauge cluster with autometer gauges

current problems
Priority 1:  Just developed a no injector pulse situation that I can't figure out.  truck was running great...then just no start.  the wiring is an absolute mess and repeatedly a problem, so I'm going to order a painless harness (60511) and start over with it.
Priority 2: need to replace dash panel (not pad), since the previous one cracked in half, and the junkyard spare I found didn't have A/C vents on passenger side.  Now found one with the vents, so will replace that again.
Priority 3: A/C doesn't work anyway
Priority 4: paint and body work

Hartwell, GA, 86 XLT, 347 (302 original), MAF converted using fiveology kit w/95 EEC-IV), 4.56 gears, 4" lift.  Wiring is a disaster.
Non-Ford -
1971 Land Rover Series IIa 88"
1986 Land Rover Defender 110
1988 BMW 535is
2004 Land Rover Discover II
2020 Land Rover Defender 110  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member - Atlanta

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  So glad you found us!

We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if you want.

That's a neat truck!  And, I love its story, especially the part of working with your son on it.  

Welcome!!!!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by dsstephens
Yes, welcome to the forum!  

Matthew (Dorsai) lives in the Atlanta area (yeah, I know it's huge)

Steve83 and Bill (82Lebaront2) are both well versed in efi.

What's up with your AC?
I only have vent Windows up here, I can't imagine steamy Georgia in the summer.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome! I used to live in Powder Springs [west Cobb county].
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Welcome, I just found this forum not too long ago myself, and so glad that I did. It's worth infinitely more than I pay to access it! LOL

But seriously lots of great references, and the people are super quick and accurate with the responses.

I'm pretty courious what else that you added to the internal of your stoker engine.

Enjoy,
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Bulletproof250 wrote
Welcome, I just found this forum not too long ago myself, and so glad that I did. It's worth infinitely more than I pay to access it! LOL

But seriously lots of great references, and the people are super quick and accurate with the responses.

I'm pretty courious what else that you added to the internal of your stroker engine.

Enjoy,

Gary can provide the details, but the following link [Gary's engine] will act as a teaser:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Gary+Lewis+Tim+Meyers+dyno+400&view=detail&mid=9937D16FFCEA80CEC5039937D16FFCEA80CEC503&FORM=VIRE

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think he's asking about dsstephens 347 in the powder blue Bronco, but I could be wrong.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Wow. I am out of step... Gary has referred to his engine as a stroker. Thanks and have a good day. The link is still enjoyable to watch!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary's 400 is essentially a 'factory stroker' of the 351M.

The same way a 302 and 351W share bore and c-c distances. (Block and crank are different)
And 429-460 share everything but the crank & compression height of the pistons.

347's are also stroked 302's but rely on a 0.030 overbore for some of that increased ci.
They have a 3.400 stroke

ETA.bore.& stroke detail.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I think he's asking about dsstephens 347 in the powder blue Bronco, but I could be wrong.

You are correct Jim, But I did check out the link, and that's some pretty big inspiration there!

I'd still love to hear about dsstephens 347
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Buddy of mine has a HOT 347 in a Factory Five Cobra replica.

Nascar heads, Carrillo rods, titanium valves, and on and on...

I think the last time he had it dynoed it was 480/480!  

You can make a lot of power with a small block.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You can make a lot of power with a small block.  

Yes, just let it rev!
Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
Catching up on the thread!  thanks all for the welcome.  I will try to spec out the motor. and forgive me, I can't for the life of me find the specs for the parts, and since I basically just paid for it to be done, I can only partially recall details.  I have the specs somewhere... the saga of this motor is a fantastic story on how to part someone with their money to the point where they have no choice but to just dump more into it or explain wayyy too much to the spouse. :)  oh...this is the second motor.  I'll have to find the pictures of the first one.  #MetalIsWeakerThanWater

block was cleaned up, bored and decked
new Eagle rotating assembly
comp cams extreme 4x4 cam, have to find the specs
main cap girdle
aluminum heads from a brand I can't recall, not the highest end
edelbrock performer intake
bbk throttle body
can't recall where we ended up on the injectors
MAF conversion

Hartwell, GA, 86 XLT, 347 (302 original), MAF converted using fiveology kit w/95 EEC-IV), 4.56 gears, 4" lift.  Wiring is a disaster.
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
ArdwrknTrk - thanks for the replies

posted some info on the internals in another message

looks like @dorsai lives within same burb I do, so big city...small town

I definitely need the EFI help.  I am an accomplished parts changer.  the debugging...and anything electrical...is mostly voodoo to me.

w/o AC is NO BUENO.  I imagine it all needs to be replaced, the vacuum lines are shot, the duct work behind the dash I know has a crack...so I have replacement parts for it all.  just have to do it and charge it.  "just".

I'm also rebuilding another truck at the same time.  and working more than full time.  so nothing gets done fast.
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Welcome!  So glad you found us!

We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if you want.

That's a neat truck!  And, I love its story, especially the part of working with your son on it.  

Welcome!!!!

Thanks!  happy to be on the member's map.
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
dsstephens wrote
 #MetalIsWeakerThanWater
Ouch!
Since you live in Atlanta I'm going to assume you hydrolocked the rods, or bent the crank.
If it was up here *it would have been* that the block froze and cracked.
dsstephens wrote
aluminum heads from a brand I can't recall, not the highest end
Procomp maybe?
Edelbrock?
They seem to go into a lot of budget builds.
Ford Racing Performance Parts and Trick Flow seem to cost a little more but need less work to make them right.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Start a thread about your efi problems in the main section of the forum.

I saw that Bill was posting a few minutes ago.
Steve is more of a drive by guy with lots of tech pages on SuperMotors.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
ArdWrknTrk wrote
dsstephens wrote
 #MetalIsWeakerThanWater
Ouch!
Since you live in Atlanta I'm going to assume you hydrolocked the rods, or bent the crank.
If it was up here *it would have been* that the block froze and cracked.

Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ooof!

That's one for the wall of shame.  
We all keep bits and pieces to remind us how expensive not paying attention to every little detail can be.
 Jim,