New Member Introduction - 1984 F250

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Member Introduction - 1984 F250

swampedout
It takes me 20-25 minutes to drive 4 miles to the main road.
I have one truck that Ive hit 20 mph on our road but that was for a 1/4 mile between a wash out and a rocky hill.

Somebodys 4runner busted a ball joint last week. I left my number to see if I could help.

I took a video last week when I was driving home to show the guys at work why I dont come in when its snowing. Ill try to figure out how to post it.

This road is one of the reasons I think Id prefer a 4.9l 300. I never rev over 2.5k even loaded with water and most of my driving is 1k-1.5k. From my understanding this would be more in the power band for the 300.
Even on the main road, I barely ever hit 3k rpms.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Did you host your video on YouTube or something else like that?
It's not difficult from windows or iOS, but you can't imbed from Android.

Consider an RV cam. That's too low even for a 460.
Besides, you'd really be beating on the engine and tranny if you didn't have an automatic.

I can't begin to tell you the noises my Zf makes when lugging.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To put a Youtube on here, get the "embed code" from the video.  Then click "Message is in HTML Format" right above the Quote button above, and paste the code in.

But if you are typing anything to go with it be aware that a carriage return/Enter does not give a line feed.  To do that click Formatting and then Line Feed.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

Gary we've already explained multiple times that we don't get an 'imbed code' on an Android device.

Maybe, on a Chromebook, IDK.
But definitely not from a phone or tablet.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
But is Sam on an Android?  I thought he was the one wanting to know how to do it?

Also, I recently learned how to take a video from Facebook and embed it on here.  Had to do with changing the URL from //www. to //m. for Mobile.  That gives different options.  I wonder if you changed from one to the other if it would give you different options?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Can't say.
But far less than 50% use Apple.

Making a blanket statement like that had MANY of us scratching our heads.

Preface it, or something.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't embed using Apple.  I'm sure it can be done, but I use Windows devices.

Anyway, if someone wants it here's supposedly how to get the embed code while using an Android.  I don't have an Android so cannot say if it works.

But since 34% of our audience use Android, perhaps I need to put this info on the Embedding tab in the Bullnose Forum FAQ's?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It might help.

Interesting to see that ratio in comparison to the use of mobile devices here in the US.
I guess a lot of people still have a PC?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I'll add it to the list.  As for ratios:

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I am on Android and I can use all the help I can get!
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have this to-do on the new list.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 11:29 AM swampedout [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am on Android and I can use all the help I can get!
Sam
1984 F250. 460. MSD Ignition. GVR Overdrive. 4x4. Airbag rear suspension
1980 Toyota pickup
1993 Suzuki Sidekick
1997 Toyota T100

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Member-Introduction-1984-F250-tp41091p48494.html
To start a new topic under New Members Start Here, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Nothing to report yet..I turn the key on and the engine eventually cranks over and the trucks still getting me from one place to the other. Often with 300 gals of water.
On my to do list:
Wiring 12v outlet in the cab from cig lighter wiring.
Plating that hole on front of transmission housing.
Front leaf replacement some day
Headache rack before firewood season
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Seems like things are going well.  I think everyone has a list, but if you are using the truck you are well ahead of me.  

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
I wouldnt say im ahead of you, Gary. I wont list all the reasons why because your build thread lays out the argument thoroughly.

Theres tons of things Id love to do with the F250 but I have neither time or money.
I have one project truck right now that I dont have time for. Hopefully I can catch up to that one this summer.
I have to say, even though this F250 wasnt the exact truck i was looking for at the time of purchase, it might actually fit the bill more than anything else I might have found.
The only issues are the rough ride and low mpgs which keep me from driving it more. But the carrying capacity justifies the expense of having it sitting in the yard most days.
Im really looking at new front leaves for sometime this year. Rockauto has a heavy duty set im curious about.  Id love to go straight axle but i cant see it happening anytime soon.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Even without the straight axle the SKY RSK kit is said to work, if you use a set of drop pivots.

I've considered it...

Anything for more travel and springs that work with bumps.
Usually any kind of lift will mess up the alignment.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
I know sky has a good reputation but im not familiar with their ford stuff. Ill look into it.

Unlike a lot of truck people, I like to keep my trucks as low as I can while maintaining travel and clean shock absorption. The f250 already has 33s so shes sitting high enough. I Especially want to avoid raising the front that much if possible.
The alignment is a big hesitation for me also because i dont know any shops who can for sure align a ttb. Id be a tad more than annoyed if I start wearing out tires from a bad alignment.

It takes me forever to decide on suspension set ups. So i appreciate the input.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, look at the bump stops on the reverse arch springs on your truck.
There's no way to have a supple spring with an inch of travel.

AND, every time your truck hits a bump the axle has to go forward for the shackle to work.
There's no good answer to that.

I think Gary and Shaun have posted that the least lift you can get is about 1 1/4", but don't quote me.
Gary goes into a lot of detail (surprise!  ) with his SAS RSK in Big Blue.

It's hard to find a shop that really knows what to do with a 250.
I'm blessed with having two multi generation alignment shops near me.
At least you don't need them to torch and bend kingpin beams into spec.....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know what the least amount of lift you can get with a solid-axle swap is.  Mine also has the SuperDuty spring swap, which raises it a bit more.  And since I don't yet have all of the weight in, it isn't as low as it'll get.  I still have the exhaust, t-case, radiator, and all fluids to add, which will bring it down some.

But Jim is right about the F250 front suspension.  Leaf springs and TTB's shouldn't be used together in my book.

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Good points. Im not against lifting the front but im not ready for the cascade effect that will come from it.

The day will come. Ive done minimal reading on the options so far
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by swampedout
swampedout wrote
...The only issues are the rough ride and low mpgs which keep me from driving it more. But the carrying capacity justifies the expense of having it sitting in the yard most days.
Im really looking at new front leaves for sometime this year. Rockauto has a heavy duty set im curious about.
I was trying to address the bold.

The ride isn't going to get any better with stiffer springs, and with no travel there's nothing you can do to keep from jarring your teeth.

Of course the alignment issues go away with a straight axle, but -as you can see in Gary's thread- that's a big nut to swallow.
 Jim,