New Member Introduction - 1984 F250

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Member Introduction - 1984 F250

swampedout
Ok, I understand the main issue is travel. Im all for more travel and I know the way to get it easiest is increasing ride height.
The reason I mention the rockauto leaves is in hopes theyd keep the force of a big motor more stable as the body bounces. I will look into them more.
Lifting is going to be a slippery slope. Raise the front, then I have to raise the rear. If the lift is the way to go, Ill do it. This is all hypothetical for now anyways until the time and money equation shifts.
Ive actually come across some of your other posts from a couple years ago on other forums, Jim. What do you think is the way to go, if I were looking for more travel out of the ttb?

Thanks for your interest! I appreciate it
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't really have an answer to more travel without some kind of lift, there just isn't any space.

Look at the diameter of a D60 axle and then look at the depth of a D44 or 50 beam...

And if you add height at the wheel you need drop pivots to keep the geometry close enough to stock that you can get it in spec with offset bushings.

It's a catch 22.

I mean, I understand Ford's desire for 4wd IFS, but the execution is bass akwards.
It is a book smart solution to keeping costs down, but it's so hobbled by its own design it's a liability in the real world.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Well she's back on the road as my DD again.

My wifes suzuki developed a motor knock this week and it will be sold, hopefully soon.

Im looking at buying a midsize truck in the next few months but until then the F250 is back on the road.

The first thing I had to do is a little wiring. Bad connection coming out of the main starter relay, causing the electricity to cut in and out. Fixed it up and did some other small stuff.

Still baffled by the nest of wires under the hood and dash. Its like learning a new language for me.

But for now, the motor starts up instantly. I used to have to crank on the ignition a couple times to get it to fire. A small victory, but satisfying.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Also, still trying to figure out the wiring for 12v outlet in cab.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The cigar lighter, or do you have some other power point, Sam?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Cigar lighter for now. I see a white wire and a black wire with female spade connectors that look like theyd be for the lighter but I dont get 12v when I test between them so I will dig deeper tommorow
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The cigar lighter should be a yellow / lt blue wire with power at all times.
20A fuse at position 16.

I love the fact the lighter is powered with the key out.
I can leave my phone charging while on the job.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Yellow wire it is! Thanks for the hot tip

I have a dual battery setup but Im not too big on the constant 12v. I know a tiny usb charger doesnt draw many amps but Ive killed enough batteries that it makes me a little nervous
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
As a general rule for Ford's of this era, yellow wires are going to be constant power.
The main power wire to the ignition switch and the un-switched portion of the fuse panel is a hefty yellow wire.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout

Im working my way through it.
Need to sit down with a diagram sometime soon.

Theres a lot of aftermarket stuff and a lot of connections that look like they went to relays.

It also looks like the dual battery was installed after a lot of the wire was done so instead of cutting wires to length, the excess was just rolled up and left dangling.

Cant say I love messing with old wires but it beats crawling around under the truck getting all greasy on a hot day.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wow! That is a can of worms, Sam.

I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out in due time.
 Jim,