53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Facebook, Pinterest, etc Menu

Rembrant
Jon,

What are you using for a phone?

I haven't see this pop-up personally, but I rarely visit the forum on my phone and have never used diagrams and info...

I must go try it now and see if I can find what you're talking about.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Never mind...

I tried it on my iPhone and I see what you're talking about.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Cory, I am using a iPhone X.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I, too, see what you are talking about.  

But I'm out and about today so will have to wait to see what I can do about it later today/tomorrow.  

Sorry.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
No apologies needed Gary. I think that promoting this site on social media is a great idea, because that seems to be where all the activity is at these days and this site could help so many people if they only knew about it...

At first I thought the pop ups were just a little annoying, but the more I tried to look stuff up on the site the more it bothered me. It is SO persistent and NO way to dismiss or get rid of it. At some point it just feels like malware promoting social media... and I know you have gone out of your way to avoid advertising that interferes with the user experience. It may be a necessary evil but I thought it should at least be weighed with the benefits we are seeing.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan, and all others - I can't find all that many controls on the package, but I've made a change that may help.  Now the buttons seem to disappear in ~5 seconds from when you stop scrolling.  At least on my iPhone X.  But try it for yourself, please, and let me know if that is better and, if so, is it acceptable.

Meanwhile I'm still researching the issue.  Perhaps I can make more tweaks.  But, in the end I want it to be easy to use for us, and if it means we take the buttons off then so be it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, it is an improvement but it would be nice if they disappeared sooner. You have to know that it will happen and be patient. If you scroll, zoom, or touch the image it comes right back. On a page with multiple snipets or page scans it’s still pretty annoying but at least it will go away eventually unlike before...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I've turn off "image sharing".  Let's see what that does.  We can toggle it back on and try other options if we want.  Let me know, please.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I like this much better Gary. The menu bar to share the page is still there but the pop ups over the images are gone. It would be nice if image sharing could be a right click or press and hold option for mobile users, but unless you think there was a lot of individual picture sharing going on I think I’d leave  it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think there was a lot of image sharing going on, but I can't tell that directly from the Sumo reports.  However, I can see the total number of shares and by checking on some of the popular pages it looks like they shared the page itself instead of the image.

So let's leave it this way.  Thanks for speaking up.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not sure how many shares we had on Feb 1st when I added the new share feature, but there weren't many.
 And here we are not quite two months later and look at the count - 1K.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That’s a good number Gary! It would be neat to know where/how the pages are being shared... to groups... to individuals through messenger... etc., and how many shares result in a web visit.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it would be good to know who the shares were by.  But I can figure out which pages are getting shares by going to the page.  Here's the pages I was tracking before with data from Feb 2 and today: (Note that you frequently have to refresh the page twice to get the #'s to pop  up.)

Bullnose FAQ's: Feb 2: 44 Today: 44
Calibration Info & Part #'s: 43  43
Electrical/Alternators: 59   59
Engines/385 Series: 38   38
Interchange/Air Conditioning: 17  37
Specifications/Towing: 2   2
TSB's/TSB Index: 29   29
Year-To-Year Differences: 18  18

So, those pages aren't getting shared much.  But the forum sure is!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary does this program track likes and shares separately? Not quite sure what I’m looking at. I took this screen shot a couple days ago and the little number in the Facebook box has already changed from 953 to 965... I assume that rounded off that’s where the 1K is coming from? If so, it’s all FB traffic and no other media?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, likes and shares are the same, I think.  I have an option to determine what that says, and I could make it either.

But I do get some reports, as shown below.  However, the info is highly suspect.  

The first screen grab is from Feb 3rd and it says we have "All Time Shares" of 20.  The second grab is from today and it says all time shares are 113.  So, there were 93 shares in that timeframe but we went from almost no shares showing at the bottom of the page to 1K shares?  

And, as a freebie user I can't change the start and end dates in the report.  You have to upgrade to do that, and they want $39/mo for that.  But if that info isn't any better than this info I don't see a reason to pay.

Am I missing something?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Good grief don’t pay for that! Out of curiosity it’s nice to know what’s working to spread the word but I don’t think those statistics are going to help a whole lot... not like writing the posts that you do in the groups to announce new pages and resources.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree with all you said.

And while we are on the subject, I have several sources of info for traffic to the site and to the forum - which are two separate things.  (The forum is embedded on the 1st page of the site.)  One is Weebly that hosts the site.  Another is Google, and another is Sumo, the outfit that put the social media buttons on.

But, those sources do not agree with each other, and one could easily go crazy trying to reconcile them.  So, I don't.  But I do watch all of them because each has different bits of info.  However, Weebly is the one I like the best.  And it certainly shows up the results of posting on FB.

Here's a grab of the last ~6 months traffic from Weebly, and on the "unique visits" chart I've circled several peaks.  (A unique visit means that you get counted once per day, no matter how many pages you view.)  And I'm sure I could go back to FB and correlate those peaks to one or more posts I've done there about new content.

But there are several things to note from that chart.  One is that 6 months ago we were running around 300 unique visits per day.  And now we are pushing 600/day.  Another is that the peaks are around 800, but you see how much smaller the peaks appear since the base is increasing.

And that doesn't even speak to the posts on FB where I point someone to the site to answer his/her question.  Those generate repeat visitors as well.  And, several of those have started answering other people's questions with links to the site.

So, in some ways we are the best-kept secret re Bullnose trucks.  But, the word is slowly getting out.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I should have said that we have a page on the website (Metrics in the menu) which shows usage for the last ~9 months.  Anyone can view that and it is updated automagically.  But, it doesn't exactly correlate to any of the other sources.  Close, but no cigar.  Perhaps different cutoff times, but I don't know.

Having said that, it just occurred to me that there may be a way to add social media shares to that page.  So I'll be doing some research on that.  But, at first blush there is and it may actually change how/where/by whom the buttons are presented.

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
I actually found you guys through word of mouth on Facebook when I joined up about 5 days ago or so.  I think your website layout is pretty perfect.  It is minimal, easy to navigate, extremely informative, and simplistic.  I actually build websites occasionally and people lose the point of their website to extensive modification, overuse of big flashy applets, too many moving items, java plugins, etc.  Also you guys have a very good community on here it seems.  When you begin to over reach into facebook integration you can easily find trolls trying to flood in.  Obviously not everyone out there is bad, but when it concerns social media, it really is just a bunch of kids who love to talk trash on the internet because there is no chance of them getting throat punched.
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the .  We've tried to make this simple, clean, logical, and w/o adverts, and it is good to know that we are achieving that.

And, we do have a very good community.  Or family.  And, we try to be "family friendly", which is important to me.

In fact, on Facebook I have a rule that someone that uses the "f" word gets blocked.  I don't just hide the comment, I block the user.  That sure is cutting the number of such posts that I see down on the FB pages I follow.

But, you have a very good point - a lot of the poor manners that happens on FB is because there are so many people on those pages that some think they are anon.  Here, we get to know each other and behave like friends.