My Bullnose Journey - wonderful update!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My Bullnose Journey - wonderful update!

66gtk
I posted here first in 2018 looking for help in finding my Dad's truck, or one similar to it.
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Guy-my-Flareside-story-and-looking-to-find-a-truck-tp18719.html

I knew it was a long shot to find dad's "actual" truck, but I did find it over 2 years ago after I had purchased mine.  I've tried for over 2 years to buy it with no luck.  The truck was reportedly in this guys garage for nearly 30 years in Utah and was untouched.  It had 50K miles on it, and was exactly the way my Dad had it with no modifications or changes other than a bug deflector and chrome trim rings added.

Fast forward over 2 years and many many conversations with the owner and my Dad was able to successfully get his truck back home in late May, just a few weeks ago!  I drove back to ND last weekend to assess what was there and try and rejuvenate the original paint.  My dad has every bit of paperwork on this truck since getting the original brochure and order sheet.  It's all there, including the day 2 mods.  He had Hedman RV headers and dual exhaust, dual glass packs installed.  They are still there.  The smog pump has been disconnected, but the EEC-III system remains with the original carb.  The paint cleaned up nice, and Dad is very happy.  He's going to clean up the wheels since the trim rings left marks in the paint, and put on new tires and other maintenance issues.  He plans to leave it alone and original, including the bedwood that remains.

I'm not sure what the chances are that he got his truck back in nearly the same condition he had it in after all these years, but they can't be good!  Sure makes for a great story and happy conclusion!  Here are pics from last weekend's clean up.
cleaned!

Dad with his truck
3 Kruger boys on first drive

new master cylinder so we can stop!  Rest is 1981!
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My Bullnose Journey - wonderful update!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What a wonderful story!  Wow!  And what a wonderful son!  I'll bet he's one happy father.  Happy Father's Day!  

Truck looks beautiful.  So now you have two immaculate and stock trucks.  Almost twins!  Lets see a pic of the two of them?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Thanks Gary!  Here you go...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Two of the prettiest trucks around!  What a pair!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by 66gtk
Both trucks are amazing! Your style side is an inspiration to my truck. I'm planning to paint mine the same color scheme this summer once I finish the bodywork. Great job!
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Powerman5K wrote
Both trucks are amazing! Your style side is an inspiration to my truck. I'm planning to paint mine the same color scheme this summer once I finish the bodywork. Great job!

Wow!  Thank you.  My truck was inspired by my Dad's (:
Here's another shot for you that shows the color well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Very cool! Love both trucks.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
That is beyond gorgeous, congrats on getting it home
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Good work! Congratulations!!!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Dang! That is awesome!

Nice trucks!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I am speechless, what a nice and very touching story!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Great story, and very nice looking truck.  That truck is a gem.  I am on a similar journey restoring my Dad's 84 Flareside.  It's not as nice as yours, but I am getting closer.  My goal is to have it as close to stock as possible with a few incremental steps in between.

Is that Wimbledon white?  I just sent stock wheels (Thanks to Sac79/Rob!) out to get powder-coated, and the guy at the shop immediately rattled off Wimbledon as the color I would want for an old Ford (which I think is true).  I have a very nice set of hubcaps already waiting....
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Yes, the white on the side of the truck and on the wheels is Wimbledon White.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Awesome story!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by ckuske

I did the same thing with my wheels but went the budget approach and stripped them to bare metal before painting them with Rustolium White Enamal and their clear coat.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.