55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intermittent no crank issue

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The battery is still providing lots of current.
I said *the SOLENOID* (on the starter) requires 13A to stay engaged.
The starter itself?
I think I have to go back to FTE for that..

So the Ford solenoid on the fender only needs 13A to pass through.
Iirc, the starter draws around 150?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Doh!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe Matthew can do a PMGR upgrade at the GTG and you can document it for the site?

I'd be willing to pitch in a few.
Heck, when I went to DB I saw the manual 460 starter was only $47
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Wow! Was I wrong...

ArdWrknTrk wrote
 ArdWrknTrk , 10-19-2015 06:26 AM

When I installed a pmgr starter back in 2012 it came with a test sheet showing a bit over 500A under load.
Of course it has a solenoid attached, and this showed 40A to pull and 13A to hold, so this is the only load my fender mounted relay sees anymore
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yipes!  YIPES!

I wonder how much torque it puts out at that current as opposed to the old style starter?  That 500 amps is surely stalled, and with the gear reduction it won't be stalled long.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Maybe Matthew can do a PMGR upgrade at the GTG and you can document it for the site?
Negative!

As much as I'd love to make a contribution to the site like that, I won't be making mechanical changes to the truck in the middle of a 2500 mile trip.  I'm heading down to Texas after Oklahoma, and they have more banjos than Arkansas...
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dorsai wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Negative!

As much as I'd love to make a contribution to the site like that, I won't be making mechanical changes to the truck in the middle of a 2500 mile trip.  I'm heading down to Texas after Oklahoma, and they have more banjos than Arkansas...

David/1986F150Six has had similar responses to some significant changes that have been proposed.  And I can fully understand.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm pretty sure I had posted a pic of the graph there as well but I'm not looking any farther.
Iirc it was 512A.
Yes, that was 'Max' draw.

Those starters spin pretty fast.
I posted pictures of the guts (planetary reduction) in my starter woes thread.
I'm sure the reduction could be figured at a glance (count)

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
A road trip isn't 'an adventure' unless you take some uncalculated risks!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm pretty sure I had posted a pic of the graph there as well but I'm not looking any farther.
Iirc it was 512A.
Yes, that was 'Max' draw.
The standard starter I purchased today has a similar peak amperage figure.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, yeah!    

It's doing the same job, isn't it?

Watts are work.
VxA=Watts
Or more commonly, W/V=A
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Well, yeah!    

It's doing the same job, isn't it?
Well, sort of.  The starters have the same function, of course, but if the PMGR starter is really spinning the engine faster and harder it's going to have to pull more amps at some point.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But at least it's not through the fender mounted relay.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Dorsai wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Negative!

David/1986F150Six has had similar responses to some significant changes that have been proposed.  And I can fully understand.
"If it doesn't smoke, don't fool with it!" 
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
I won't be making mechanical changes to the truck in the middle of a 2500 mile trip.
Sounds like a regular month around town for me.  *shrug

Doesn't keep me from going to work (or futzing around with my truck)

Jim,