Assigned: Gary Lewis at priority
(Normal)
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Huge Brakes now available!

Littlebeefy
I've been working with brake engineers, machinists and Ford owners to design and build significantly better brakes for classic Fords for the last year, and they are finally available for sale. Unfortunately, I don't have a product for TTB (yet), but if you've swapped in a solid axle D44 or D44HP (or if you have a pre-'80s F100, F150 or Bronco) I've got the brakes for you!

Check out our site for details: www.hugebrakes.com

Let me know what you think. I really value opinions from this group.

Thanks!
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Huge Brakes now available!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chad - That's good news!  I hope you get to come to the show and, if so, you should set up an awning to show information on those brakes.  There will be plenty of people there who will be interested.

As for comments, your post says that you have Huge Brakes for "a solid axle D44 or D44HP" but that isn't obvious on the website.  Is there a way to have that as an option?

And if you are working on brakes for our TTB's you could have a selection on there that says something like "Contact us" or "In the works".  The way it is there's no sense of "we are working on it".

Also, my instructors told me not to show graphs that don't start at 0.  Your bar chart starts at 800 which gives me a skewed view of the results, although I'm probably not normal as I watch for those things and most don't.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Great feedback, Gary.

Under the FAQ in applications we mention that it is for SAS trucks, too. I will make it clear in the product description as you suggest.

The graph starts at 800 because it highlights the difference between all the brake packages. If I just had a line for our packages and the stock brakes, it would be obvious, but the nuance between the packages and some of the other options is just harder to see when you start the graph at 0. I'll consider (long and hard) whether to change that. One thing that I found really interesting is that the new Bronco actually has slightly weaker brakes than the T-bird conversion. 45 years later and those calipers still hold up as a great retrofit option on the Bullnose (if you don't mind clearancing for the banjo bolt).

We are working on adding products like a hydroboost kit, TTB and D60 Huge Brakes. Chevy/GM Huge Brakes, Dodge Huge Brakes, Jeep Huge Brakes and master cylinders. I wanted to get the products we actually have available up ASAP and will add some "coming soon" products as you suggested in the immediate future. Anybody got a TTB near Atlanta that they want to donate to the cause? We have to grind the cast caliper supports off and do prototyping with the stock parts to ensure it will work. Likely the kit we build will come with modified knuckles (and you'll have to send your old knuckles back for core exchange).

I'm doubting that I will be able to make it for the show in OK. I did the math and just the gas will cost me $1,800. I'll let you know if I can work it out, though. Maybe I'll just fly and lug my 80lb mockup!
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Question, are there any plans for those of us who do not own 4WD trucks? I have upgraded my rear drums to 1996 12 X 3 1/2 but still have the original front system. A plus would be if they do not have the drag the factory ones have. I wanted to try to fit a later set of calipers, but the later trucks all have ball joints and the 1986 F350 still has king pins.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Is it possible? I'm sure it is. The question is how many people would buy it if we made it? Is there a big market out there for it? That's not a rhetorical question; I'd really like to know.

The kits are not easy or cheap to design. I'm a Georgia Tech engineer and I worked for Porsche for 13 years. I will not skimp on quality or sell something that isn't absolutely perfect. After all, these are brakes we're talking about! It took us nearly a year to design and engineer the 3 kits we have available today. We had to find all the factory parts (spindles, knuckles, hubs, brackets) and go through prototype after prototype to get everything correct within 5 thousandths of a millimeter (I'm not kidding). Our parts are so exact that they won't fit until you clean off the rust (and even then they take some coaxing with a mallet). Minimum 3-4 months to engineer the kit for a another axle.

I'm not familiar with 2wd trucks (the only RWD I've ever wrenched on are Porsches). Forgive my ignorance on your truck.  It seems like your truck has twin 2" piston calipers (or 55mm depending on where you look). That's D60 size, right? You need more than that? Are the caliper brackets cast into your knuckle or is it a separate piece? Tell me more about the stock brake and knuckle configuration (couldn't quickly find pictures in Gary's trove).

Would you consider going to an opposing 4 piston with 14" rotors (would require 17" wheels)? That's what we're working on for the D60 4WD but it would be a pretty spendy kit so we are holding off until we get some more feedback.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
1986 has two piston calipers that slide on special split pins on the steering knuckle. 4 piston might be workable as Darth is a dually, so the wheels have a pretty deep offset. I was looking for a picture of the front hub, but didn't find one. Going up to 17" wheels would get expensive fast as I would need 7, (6 on the ground and 1 for the spare + new tires).

To further compound the issue, the crew cab spindles are different from non-crew cab so the inner front wheel can go about 89° to the frame making the big beast fairly maneuverable if you can set up your turns properly (just try not to run over anything easily broken with the rears).

The spindle design is why the later brakes won't fit, they use bolt on brake calipers.

Probably wouldn't be feasible then. Good luck with the brake kits! BTW, I worked with a man who, unfortunately never finished his degree at Georgia Tech, his wife ended up pregnant and he had to quit and go to work. He knew more about strain gauges than most degreed engineers. Damn good school! I never finished my degree, kept failing English Composition and Literature, I would have been part of the first batch of Engineers from Old Dominion University (college at that time).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
FYI we are offering a discount to a limited number of people who will post honest and thorough reviews of our product on this site. Please visit www.hugebrakes.com for details.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
We are in the process of engineering our kit for the TTB Dana 44. I'm looking for feedback and gauging interest.

First question: knuckles have to be ground, so who would prefer doing a core exchange for pre-ground knuckles and who would just grind their own? Knowing that they are heavy and it would cost money to ship both ways what would it be worth to you to simply get the pre-ground knuckles?

Second question: because the components required are essentially the same in cost, is it worth the $1,299+ price to get brakes equivalent in stopping power to a modern F150? If not, what would you get instead?

Third question: Is there anyone, right now, who would say definitively that they would buy it if we offered it (especially if I offered a preorder discount)?

BTW, here is a red powder coated kit that I just installed (on a SAS):
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
If this was 6months ago I would say take my money for Bronco. But I just completed a front end rebuild on it and don’t want to touch it for a while.

Maybe in 6 months time I will be able to say take my money for my F150 as I haul hay and muck with it and extra stopping power would be great, especially how my wife drives.

Wishing you every success and I hope to be a customer not too far down the line.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Chad - Rene is in Europe and is looking for a way to upgrade his brakes, as explained in his 1986 Bronco Break Upgrade thread.  Might you want to discuss this with him?  He should have the D44 TTB.

Rene - I'm tagging you because Chad/Littlebeefy is working on a brake upgrade that you might be interested in.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Thanks, Gary!

@ReneH - I read your recent brake questions (I had also been keeping up with your stroker build!) and I have a little info for you to consider. First off, you are right that light peddle braking for a sustained period will build up more heat than intermittent, harder braking. Second, larger rotors will have more thermal mass and surface area and will take longer to heat and will cool quicker. That’s true whether the rotors have a bigger diameter or if the are thicker (thicker rotors have more surface area in the vanes). Aluminum calipers also bleed off heat better than steel but can get pricey due to the materials and complexity in manufacturing. They have the added benefit of being lighter to reduce unsprung weight but I don’t think that’s important to you.

I would be willing to build a brake kit for you using our massive dual piston calipers and larger rotors. They are comparable to the brakes that come standard in modern half ton trucks. I would need to build it here as a prototype and send it to you in Germany (but would need you to handle the shipping and customs). I would guarantee fitment and you wouldn’t have to pay for it until it’s ready to ship. I would ask that you give all of us feedback on your installation and performance.

If you’re interested and want to work out details you can email me directly at chad@hugebrakes.com.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
The site is one of the ones randomly blocked at work.  How large a wheel do you have to run with this kit?
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
We know it will fit with 17s. We haven't tried anything smaller.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
That's actually really great.  If a ttb kit comes out I'd love some measurements, fitting a 17" alloy usually means fitting a 16" steel wheel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Good news for you D44 TTB owners. We are rapidly developing a Huge Brakes kit for your trucks. It will still use the 13.25" rotors and the massive twin 54mm/56mm piston calipers. It will require grinding the caliper brackets off your knuckles but we will have a core exchange option to send you knuckles that are already modified to fit. I will post pictures here as development progresses, so stay tuned.

We have had a couple of installations on the D44HP already and the braking is phenomenal!
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds good, Chad.

Rene - I'm tagging you given your plan to order parts for the front brakes on your Bronco.

Reply | Threaded
|

ReneH
Thanks for this Gary. What Chad posted sounds very good. I'll stay in contact with him when I start to re-new my front breaks.
René's Profile

Bronco 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 302/347 stroker with 351W EEC-IV and 351W factory cam C6 gearbox. Jeep 1986 Jeep CJ7 256 I6 with T5 gearbox. Buggy 1972 HAZ Buggy 122 Ford Cologne V6
Baron 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 183 V6 4-speed automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

ReneH
Ok...it seems that new front breaks will be needed faster than expected...or at least new pads...

It seems to me, that this pad is broken and some parts are missing...it also seems not in place anymore...

May the have caused by driving down the San Bernadino pass that caused the breaks boiling, what's caused by very, very weak rear breaks?

On the TÜV, the have made some full-stops on the brake test bench...that may have caused over-stress to the already by over-heat damaged pads...so that's my theory...
René's Profile

Bronco 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 302/347 stroker with 351W EEC-IV and 351W factory cam C6 gearbox. Jeep 1986 Jeep CJ7 256 I6 with T5 gearbox. Buggy 1972 HAZ Buggy 122 Ford Cologne V6
Baron 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 183 V6 4-speed automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hard to tell from the pics, but I'll take your word for it.

And yes, getting the pads extra hot can cause problems, not only with the pads but with the rotors, causing them to warp - which gives a pulsing feel to the pedal.

But those pads may work until you can get the larger brakes?