How Comfortable Are The Low-Back Bucket Seats?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How Comfortable Are The Low-Back Bucket Seats?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've considered getting a pair of low-back bucket seats for Big Blue as I think they would be a more secure seat for offroading than the bench seat.  I recently was discussing that option with someone else and he said his are not comfortable at all.

Having said that, he did admit that his might be badly worn.  Maybe the lack of comfort is due to mashed foam?

So I'd like to hear from those of you who either have those seats or have ridden long distances in them.  How comfortable have you found them?

And, how hard would it be to rebuild and recover them?  Might there be something like memory foam for them?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How Comfortable Are The Low-Back Bucket Seats?

grumpin
I have bucket seats in my truck. Are those what you’re calling low-back bucket seats?

I’ve driven 4 or so long trips with my truck and a lot of what I’d call medium trips.

They are comfortable enough, I’ve never thought man I need new seats.

Interestingly though, the other day I noticed my left leg felt like it was hitting a bar or brace. And I wondered too if the foam isn’t flat or worn or compressed, however one might explain it.

So I schooched over a bit!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - Ford had two seats: bucket seats and captain's chairs.  On the left, below, are Jerry/Ozark1's bucket seats, and on the right are the captain's chairs for Dad's truck.

I was confused when I started into this on Dad's truck and didn't realize the difference and wound up with captain's chairs.  And after having them rebuilt, twice but don't ask, I found that the top will hit the rear window unless I somehow tilt the seat forward.  So I'm thinking that bucket seats would be better.

Anyway, my use of the term "low-back bucket seat" was to differentiate between the actual bucket seats and the captain's chairs.  So, is that what you have - buckets?  And they are comfortable?  And more "supportive" than a bench seat?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In the chance that I'll get these seats I'm going to use this post, updated as I find things, for documenting things like seat covers, etc.

Stock Interiors: I sent them an email as I didn't find anything for the Bullnose trucks, but did find it for the 78-79 buckets, but my understanding from FSB is that those buckets are the same as ours.  Stock Interiors said they don't have the covers for the F-Series buckets.  Which is interesting as the MPC doesn't show the bucket seats in the F-Series, just the Broncos.  F-Series show to have the bench seat or captain's chairs.  

Profit Auto Interiors

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have the captain’s chairs. Of course no problem with hitting the rear window with a super cab.

I tend to think buckets are more comfortable than bench seats. But I spent a lot of time on bench seats. 68 Chevy 1/2 ton had a bench and the 74 Ford I had, had bench seats I believe.

Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've toyed with the idea of bolting those red captain's chairs in for one of the trips.  They are completely rebuilt and are ready to go, but are obviously RED.  (Although not Retired & Extremely Dangerous as that's me.)  I have the base that bolts in and the bases that bolt to that.  And, I have the console that bolts to the base.  It is all ready to go.

That might give me an appreciation for at least the captain's chairs, if not the buckets.  And surely one trip won't damage them.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I have a similar size seat in my Ranger, except mine have headrests. They came from a 2001 Explorer Sport, and I LOVE them. The bolstering is incredible, and they hold me in the seat well. I don't offroad my truck much anymore, but when I did, they always kept me planted.

Anyways, I like the low back style of seat, but you need to make sure the bolstering on the bottom cushion is up to par or they will be no better than a bench seat.

My Explorer seats shown below in my F350:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Need-opinions-on-possible-seats-tp52403.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Shaun.  I like the look of those, without the headrests, and they do look similar,  But yours, on the left, and the ones I'm looking at, on the right, are different in the bolster area of the seat bottom.  Yours has a lot more bolster than the buckets.

I wonder if that is something that can easily be changed?  I wonder if I should contact the people that re-built and recovered the seats for Dad's truck and see what they have to say.

And speaking of Dad's seats, Janey seems to agree that bolting them in for a trial is a good idea.  So perhaps for our trip in January we'll do that.  That will probably help me think through what they'll look like.  Or maybe I should day, what the storage unit behind the seat will look like.  The bench seat covers it neatly, but the buckets won't.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
No experience with the buckets, but back when I had my '85 F-250HD (from '84 - '98) I thought the bench seat in it was one of the most comfortable and secure seats I'd ridden on.  There actually was a pretty decent bolster on the outside.  I can't say I've ever had a seat I like better since that truck.

Of course that seat was brand new when I started with it, and no where near as old as Big Blue's is now when I sold that truck.  And I was a lot younger 30 years ago too!

I don't know what (if anything) that means to your question, but that's what I've got.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Big Blue' seat doesn't seem to have the bolster on the sides.  But it is fairly comfortable.

Oddly enough, John/Machspeed went to see a guy about having his new bed bolts chrome plated and the guy has an '86 and might join.  In addition, he has a blue seat from it that he says is in "excellent condition" that he wants to unload.  

Which then begs the question of what seats he put in it?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The bolstering is what makes the difference if you're looking to stay planted in the seat. A flat bucket seat is no better than a bench seat. You're still gonna slide around because there's nothing to stop you from sliding. The original low back buckets in the Broncos do not look to have the best bolstering, so I can imagine you will slide pretty easily. That's one of the reasons I went with a cloth seat in my F350, because the cloth will help keep you planted.  

Any experienced upholstery shop should be able to add the bolstering pretty easily.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree, Shaun.  Which is why I'm going to call the outfit that did Dad's captain's chairs and see what it would cost to have them build a pair of buckets with plenty of bolstering.  And maybe use some really good foam.  I think that would be far better then having me do the recovering, not knowing what I'm doing.

And I agree that cloth is better.  The factory used velour, and that might be a good choice.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Sounds like a plan!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Let us know how that goes Gary. Is that shop local to you?
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the shop is local-ish.  It is in Tulsa so might be 25 miles away.  But as it is now Christmas eve and lots of places are closed through the end of the year it'll be at least next week, if not next year, before I can talk to them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary, I'll keep you advised on the gentleman's seat I spoke to you about. It is a bench seat just like mine. I have no comfort issues with my seat but of course what works for me does not work for others. I'll tell you this, I sat in Scott's truck at our truck show this past Summer and the seats in his truck were some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. As I recall, they were OEM high back buckets but knowing Scott, they were likely MODIFIED internally..... 
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Just got this in from Scott:

Merry Christmas sir!  Haha the original factory captain's chairs :) They are ridiculously comfortable. The guy I bought if from said he'd rather take it on a road trip than his new Dodge and I believe him.

So I guess I’d better try the ones I have for Dad’s truck in BB. With the later base I have they’ll bolt in.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Well there you go!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, let's use this thread to continue the discussion on seats.  I've found a pair of 2011 Navigator bucket seats for $295.  They are in black leather and are said to have been taken out of the Navigator when new so are in perfect shape.

I'd like your thoughts of what these seats would look like in Big Blue. 

It cost $1000 to have the captain's chairs rebuilt and recovered for Dad's truck, and that was several years ago.  So these seats would be a lot less expensive than having to rework used seats.  However, I don't know how easy it would be to mount them.  I have the base from the mid-90's Ford truck that bolts into our trucks, but it remains to be seen whether these will be easily adapted to that base.

Does anyone know anything about 2011 Navigator seats?

Here are the pics I got of them, and yes they are folded.  The guy said they can't be unfolded until installed, so I've found some pics online of the same seats.  However, most of those pics show seats with arm rests and these don't have them.

And here's a pic from the internet.  Again, these buckets have arm rests and those for sale do not.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I believe they will look good and I have confidence in the fact that you will be able to find a way to install them in such a manner that FORD would approve.