1 ... 3456789 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hello new users!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Stu - Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Where's home?  I ask for two reasons.  First, maybe someone on here knows of a truck near you.  Second, because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I can add you with a city/state or zip.

As for finding a truck with a 9", they were used the whole way through the Bullnose era.  But the 8.8 was introduced in '83 and was used a lot, so if you had to choose between a 1980 - 82 truck or an '83 - 86 truck to look at go with the earlier one as it'll be more likely to have the 9".

Also, in 1980 and '81 the trucks had "Swiss cheese" frames.  They are plenty strong and a guy I know on FTE has a truck he uses in pulling contests with one of those frames and he's had no problems.  But that makes the truck ever so slightly lighter, so...
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Stu
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Stu
Reply | Threaded
|

Stu
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for the welcome. Zip is 97236. I live in Portland, OR. My wishlist is really just a rust free, 2wd, 1/2 ton truck within budget. Things that will sweeten the pot for me are short bed, automatic transmission, and v8. I plan on doing whatever work it needs to get it into acceptable condition. Nice driving will out weigh nice looking, but I might try a pain job someday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  And you are in the ideal location to find a truck that fits your wants at a reasonable price since the PNW is the best location around.

The guys here frequently post links to trucks they see on CL or BAT or eBay that look nice.  You might want to subscribe to the <a href="https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td28014i6980|a124761">Marketplace folder to be notified when someone posts.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Chuck77
 Evening to all. Just joined the group this A.M. Recently acquired an '86 F150 4x4. She's a project, but has great potential. Pretty much all stock, with just 95K original miles. It's the 5th "Bullnose" I've owned over the years, plus an'89 F250 as well. Been researching YouTube, and other searches the past couple months, looking up various topics on her, and I kept coming across posts form this group. Am totally impressed with the knowledge and info base you've all brought together here, and the willingness to share. As I read in the post on this thread just before this reply, I'm from the "rust belt'. Live in central WI, about 50 miles north of Madison. I'm busying myself with searching through the Faq's and earlier posts on bringing my newest "toy" back to original as possible, but hope I may also bring some knowledge I've acquired over my years, (I'm definitely "Old School"),  Chuck77...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Chuck!  Glad you joined.  

As for "old school", is the "77" your age?  If so, I'm not far behind at 75 and we have at least one that's 76.

Would you like to be on our map?  You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu, and we can add you if you give us a city.

How about starting a thread on your truck and posting some pics?

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Chuck77
Welcome!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuck77
Thanks for welcoming me onboard. Ya got me by a few years. The "77" was the year I escaped high school. Moved to and live in a real small town named Packwaukee, WI, in the 53949 zip. The "new" truck I acquired is an '86 150 XL. Equipped with the venerable 4.9L, automatic, 4x4, with 3.50  limited slip gearing in 9" carriers. Pretty plain jane, with just PS, PB, factory AM/FM, and dealer installed cruise. About the only thing I can find on her not original are what I think are American Racing rims. 95K original miles. Down side is a previous owner started pulling emission components off, and when I got it a few months back, it BARELY ran. Been replacing missing parts and teach'in myself just how the EEC IV feedback system works, and just what all had been "tossed". Got it up and running now with 2 pumps of the accelerator. Choke pulling down normal, but still idling a bit high after warm up. Drivability is not quite there yet either, but it's gett'in close. The truck does drive, and it's great. Engine has great oil pressure, runs cool, shifts right on, steers and goes down the road straight, stops okay, and the 4x4 will pull stumps! Already found a TON of info here from past searches, and I just KNOW I'll find what I need to bring it the rest of the way back. She's not real pretty. The box is rusty above the wheel arches, and she's bruised here and there. She's got that currently popular "patina look" to her too. Frame is sound though. A little scaly, but solid all around. Have some pic's, and will put them up soon. Best part about the truck, I didn't pay a cent for it!!! Swapped a totaled '03 Explorer with 220K miles for it...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahh!  If you graduated in '77 then that would put you about 12 years younger than me, or maybe 63.  Yes, old school but not quite as old.

Sounds like you are getting there on the truck.  And that's a real accomplishment given how complex the system is and how hard the parts are to find.  Well done!  

But the high idle may be due to a vacuum leak, and that can easily be due to a cracked vacuum hose.

Last, you are now on the map.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Chuck77
Welcome, I am the 76 year old on the forum. If you need some help with the EEC-IV feedback carburetor system feel free to ask. It was not the best system, but as many vehicles in that era, the system was a step towards the complete control systems we have on newer vehicles.

Most parts store "code readers" are for the OBD-II systems, but the EEC-IV can be read with a test light and jumper, or if you have a "check engine" light or possibly "emission" light it can give you the codes.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Chuck77
Good morning Bill, and to Gary too. Thanks for the tips. Will try to attach a few shots of the "beast" with this reply, as warned in my earlier reply. I did give all the vacuum lines I could access, and the carb a "spray" with carb cleaner  but found no increase  or change in engine RPM's. I have replaced the original carb with a Ford rebuilt exact match,(same tag ID). However with so many plastic tubes encased in that "shielding", it may have a damaged one hiding. Also, I'll probably try the KOER test this afternoon. Right now, it has no emission or check engine lamps on though. I know it's missing what I believe is an EGR solenoid, and that's probably the issue now. I'll be posting a long and detailed question on the forum, I hope this P.M.
Reply | Threaded
|

jdhvd3
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Glad to be here.  I found some info I've been looking for for days so I'm already a fan.  First truck was an 87 F-150 and have been in love ever since then.  Currently restoring/rebuilding a beautiful '81 Trailer Special i found on the edge of a farmers field.  Couldn't let her go to waste.  I plan to be a regular here.  you guys are great!
1981 F-150 Trailer Special 351M
1987 F-150 XLT 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

As for the Trailer Special, have you seen this thread?

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by jdhvd3
Welcome!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

jdhvd3
Troy, Missouri is home. Thanks for that link!!! I have looked at multiple different emblem and badge remanufacturing places and no one has had the Trailer special badge.  I'm a little ways from needing those but might as well pick a couple up now, and maybe see what else I can find. ;) Buying truck parts is an addiction lol.  An addiction that I love and my wife hates.
1981 F-150 Trailer Special 351M
1987 F-150 XLT 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Better jump on those Trailer Special's quickly as the word is out elsewhere that they are available.

And, you are on the map.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Jon M
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, this forum is outstanding. I haven't seen a more informed vehicle enthusiast website (and I'm a Subaru and Honda convert). I'm looking through digging through the vast knowledge-base here and getting "Jolene" back up and running (and registered again) so she can live a new life.
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Jon!  Glad you joined.  

But, I remember Jolene, so maybe you are "jdavidsmi" that goes by Jon and has a signature of David?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Jon M
No sir, this is a new Jolene. She's more of a parts-truck than anything, boy she needs some work, but I took pity on her because I needed something that could transport lumber and masonry for the house. I couldn't really rationalize spending too much money so I ended up with this old thing which needs a lot of love. She's not going to be registered for a while, I have to completely redo the brake system, re-seal the oil pan, and address some rotting suspension mounts. Thus the name Jolene; she's going to take my wife's man from her a-la the old Dolly Parton song.

Other projects that will need addressing: a rotting floor pan, complete lack of A/C compressor system (was it optional in this generation??), and the air pump was deleted which I hope doesn't affect inspection...
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That being the case then you may have missed the email you were sent asking you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then introduce yourself.  We ask that because we hold everyone to the guidelines, so want you to have had a chance to read them.

Don't worry, many people miss that email.  But can you assure us you've read the guidelines?  Want to introduce yourself?  Show us pics of Jolene?

And, where is home?  We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) and can add you with a city/state or zip.

1 ... 3456789 ... 11