Hello All - 1986 F150, 2wd, base trim, 300 engine, 4 speed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
65 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello All - 1986 F150, 2wd, base trim, 300 engine, 4 speed

shosh86
Hi folks, here's my introduction, very glad to be here.  

I picked up a 1986 F150, 2wd, base trim, 300 engine, 4 speed a couple months ago.  I'm the third owner, and the previous owner had it since 1990.  It's got some body panel rust but the interior is in pretty good condition.  I'm new to auto mechanics but am slowly getting my feet wet.  So far I've swapped in a new power steering belt, replaced my leaking heater core, replaced window rubbers and felts, re-sealed the horizontal cowl seam, and added a new radio head unit, speakers, and speaker wiring. When I did the audio stuff, I also added some jute door insulation.

Projects on the horizon are LED gauge cluster lighting, replace burned out cluster indicator lamps, and add a relay harness for the headlights. Those parts are on the way. Down the road, I also plan to reupholster my bench, add new carpet, and add new headliner.  I'll also either repair my dash or get a cover.  At some point, I'll have the truck painted and get new tires, different wheels, and a chrome rear bumper. My current rear bumper is gray-painted steel.  Finally, I want to fix or upgrade my exhaust.  Half of my tailpipe is eaten away by like 10 inches.

Thanks and look forward to posting.

1986 F150, 300 engine, 4 speed, 2WD, base trim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello All - 1986 F150, 2wd, base trim, 300 engine, 4 speed

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the intro.  And, glad you joined.  

Where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

Sounds like your truck has good bones.  And your plans seem sound.  I'm anxious to ride along as you upgrade it, so I hope you'll start a thread to tell us what you do as you do it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

shosh86
This post was updated on .
Thanks, Gary.  Home is Atlanta, GA.  It does seem to have good bones.  I picked it up from a mechanic who I understand handled the maintenance for my seller.  It seems to run pretty well, although I do notice random hiccups in the idle.  Also, I should have mentioned, the mechanic removed the feedback carb.  Not sure what kind of carb is on there now, but it no longer has the computer controlled feedback anymore.  
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
not sure about the hiccups but the eec and ignition may not be advancing the timing without a return from the tps on a feedback carb.
Reply | Threaded
|

shosh86
Interesting, thanks.  How do folks who have gone non-feedback deal with that?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
shosh86 wrote
Interesting, thanks.  How do folks who have gone non-feedback deal with that?
First welcome

I would guess the carb with swapped for a non-feed back one but if the feed back dist. was not swapped for a non feed back then the job was only half done.

Now this is not a bad thing but we need to know if it still running the feed back dist. or not.
Dose the dist. have a vacuum hose going to it from the carb or a bunch of wires only going in the side with a flat plug?

Once we know we can then let you know how to go with the swap.

The truck looks like a good start.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
best answer
Reply | Threaded
|

shosh86
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I've got just a bunch of wires going in the side with a flat plug.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, you are now on the map.

Second, as as has been explained, someone only did 1/2 of the conversion.  The EEC-III system requires all its inputs or it goes into limp-home mode and locks the ignition timing to the initial timing, and w/o the feedback carb you are there.  No advance means poor power and MPG.

The cure is to replace the distributor with a DS-II dizzy and add the DS-II ignition box on the fender liner.  But you'll need the proper wiring harness to do that, and it can be hard to find a factory one.  However, Painless makes a one-size-fits-nothing harness that can be used.

We can talk you through it, and it really does need to be done.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary is right on the feed back undo only being half done.

But on the fix he only gave 1 way it could be done.
The DSII uses all Ford parts and would look factory stock pre-feed back.

The other way is using a HEI dist. that only uses 1 - 12 volt wire to work.
The hard part is finding one that is not junk.
As they say you get what you pay for so check them out before buying.
Dave ----

ps I dont have issues with a HEI on the 300 six motor but having that big thing sit out front on a v8 just is not right. The other thing is because it is big setting timing on v8's can be tricky.
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, Dave, an HEI distributor might be the easiest way to fix the problem in this situation.

We have some info on that approach on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Simplification tab.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
what about just putting a feedback carb back on it? anyone?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the system had been working correctly then I doubt the feedback carb would have been removed. So if it were to be put back on the other problems would have to be fixed.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I don't assume any of the reasons earlier work was done. we all deal regularly with the results of someone fixing something which was not broken. modifying something without knowing the whole results. etc.
 all too often, when something does not work correct, we should look at the last thing touched.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
mat in tn wrote
all too often, when something does not work correct, we should look at the last thing touched.
Amen to that!  My nephew, a mechanical engineer now working as a mechanic, called me yesterday and in the course of the conversation said he just fixed a Honda that was running very poorly.  Noting the Sharpie-scribbled note on the timing cover that the timing belt had been replaced 40K miles ago he asked the lady that brought it in if it had been running poorly since then.  Yes!  But she thought it was coincidental.  

Sure enough, the timing was retarded 14.5 degrees.  Sure made a difference when he fixed it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

shosh86
I'm thinking an HEI distributor makes the most sense in my situation. Easiest for me to install of the three options (feedback, DSII, and HEI), pretty cheap, and most importantly to me, it's likely going to fix the issue with minimal fuss. Famous last words, I know.

I'm looking at this kit: https://swperformanceparts.com/product/hei028bl-spw014bl-170072/

Amazon reviews are pretty decent: https://www.amazon.com/Team-Performance-Distributor-Compatible-Installation/dp/B07PMC41CM/

If anyone has a different model recommendation, I'm all ears.

Also, interesting that the seller has three models of what appears to be the exact same distributor on their page. One of them for $116 and the other two for $110. I can't tell any difference at all. I've reached out to them for clarity.

https://swperformanceparts.com/product/hei028bl/
https://swperformanceparts.com/product/hei028bl-1/
https://swperformanceparts.com/product/hei028bl-2/
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That kit looks pretty good.  And the reviews are good as well.

But like you, I can't see the difference in those three different part numbers.  All three seem to say they have an adjustable vacuum advance as well as 65KV coil.  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Gary, I read the part about the nephew aloud to my wife. we both laughed, a lot!
we see this type of thing almost daily. this forum is something I have appreciated and have come to enjoy because I still learn every day. and I learn from others here and hope I add value in kind.
ironically, we are simultaneously dealing with another with alt issues and trying to teach through text is a challenge also.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - You certainly do add value. For sure.

And I, too, learn daily. But sometimes I learn the same thing I did last year.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by mat in tn
I'm interested in how the hei works. I know how they work. I have used them a few times on 5.0 engines.
 I don't use them on restorations for obvious reasons. my 86 4.9 has all stock system. same as yours except it's a c6 auto. it has been my daily driver since 1991. bubba is "ole reliable" and for that reason alone it is still all stock. I have no complaints! feedback, thickfilm dist, etc.