Gas leak, occasional power loss

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gas leak, occasional power loss

JG2020
Thanks Dave! Correct, there were no leaks until I started loosening the carb hold down bolts. I used some Permatex Aviation Gasket sealer also on that manifold connection to the blue stand off thing.

I installed a good used coolant/washer fluid tank and the hose goes to the bottom of the coolant tank. I had filled it to spec and it is gone from the tank and the coolant is about 2 inches low in the radiator.

I noticed this before I added the coolant tank also that it was slightly low in the radiator. Nothing crazy but needed to be topped off.

I don't see any leaks anywhere and the radiator looks pretty new also.

Josh G
1984 F-150 Inline-Six 300
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My experience is that the later reservoirs, like yours, do a better job of keeping the radiator as full as possible. But after several hot/cold cycles the level usually stabilizes at 1 - 2” below the radiator cap.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks. That’s about where I am at. Should I keep adding to the reservoir? Or if the radiator is topped off that’s fine?
Josh G
1984 F-150 Inline-Six 300
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I try to keep the cold level in the reservoir at the middle where the windshield washer side takes off. It is a handy reference point and if the level starts dropping from there I know I have a problem.

But it doesn’t hurt to fill up the radiator either. Yesterday, getting ready for the big trip, I filled the radiator to the brim and filled the reservoir to that level. I suspect that when I check it on Sunday after driving it tonight and Saturday around town it’ll be a bit higher than the mark, but not much. And I know it’ll be full.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI