Gas leak, occasional power loss

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gas leak, occasional power loss

FuzzFace2
On the carb rebuild before you got it you dont know if anyone messed with the needle / rod for the high speed do you?

Someone messed with mine before I get the truck, carb was a mess with wrong screws used and others missing.
I have to find where I found the starting point is on it, it is not in the rebuilt kits paper, it may be a day or 2 before I can look for it.

You may not know if it is out of adjustment with out looking at the plugs and a AFR meter.
I have a AFR meter to dial in my carb.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Oh, I didn't take it that way at all. I should take some more detailed pics. The mosquitos were feasting on me also.
Josh G
1984 F-150 Inline-Six 300
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
The carb I got on e-bay. It was from an old auto parts store and was sitting on the shelf in a box that said "rebuilt" and the box was pretty dusty. The carb looked nice and clean and I put it on and had no issues after adjusting. It could have been 20 years old for all I know. The box was a Carter box and looked pretty vintage.

I got the rebuild kit from Mike's Carb when I purchased the electric choke , just to have one. It came with full rebuild directions in a PDF so I can follow those.

Thanks!
Josh
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks Dave! The idle was set to about 675 rpm.

I will post some better pics of the manifold and the carb stand etc tomorrow morning.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the help, Dave.  I knew you did the hot water bit on your carb and had plugged that hole.  Do you remember what plug you used?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Thanks for the help, Dave.  I knew you did the hot water bit on your carb and had plugged that hole.  Do you remember what plug you used?
I don't remember the size IIRC I took the intake I to the parts store for the right size.

On the idle speed it sounded good guess a good cleaning and rebuild can't hurt.
Dave  ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
I am guessing this is the cause of my mysterious antifreeze loss also.

There is definitely a small pool of liquid in the intake manifold under where the carb sits. Smells like a watery mix of gas and antifreeze.  Since the carb was supposedly already rebuilt maybe I should plug that hole and reinstall the carb and new spark plugs and see where that gets me.

It would seem obvious that the fiber gasket wouldn’t keep antifreeze from being sucked into the intake . At least that’s how it looks to me.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a reasonable plan and won't hurt anything.

But I still think you have a problem with the accelerator pump on the carb.  Don't forget that you said the engine runs better if you close the idle mix screw.  That screw is supposed to control all of the fuel going to the engine, so if you close it and the engine runs, much less better, then there's another source of fuel.

And, Bill/85lebaront2 said "The Carter YFA is a fairly simple carburetor, which has one major weak point - the combination accelerator pump and metering rod control. This is a diaphragm with manifold vacuum on bottom and fuel on the top side. When this diaphragm fails the fuel is drawn directly into the intake."  That fits your symptoms perfectly as it would be another source of fuel.

If the carb sat for years it is possible that the diaphragm got old and cracked.  So while it won't hurt to plug that hole and put the carb back on, antifreeze won't burn so it isn't the source of the extra fuel.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Makes sense! I guess I have the rebuild kit and the carb is off so I shouldn’t be lazy.  I’ll get to work on that and see if the local auto parts store has freeze plugs as well.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you'll be a lot happier if you do rebuild the carb while it is off.

I'm not a fan of carbs that use fabric below the fuel line.  Eventually the fabric fails and you have a problem.  I'm not saying you need to change to a different carb, just saying that this happens and it has to be fixed or you'll have an overly rich fuel mix.

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Good morning,

I rebuilt the carb yesterday. The accelerator pump diaphragm looked ok but was folded over on one ear where the screw goes through it. It definitely had lost some flexibility. The transfer tube in the bowl had a small hole in it. One came with the kit.

If you look at the photos the needle assembly on the right is what came with the kit and is correct. The 2 piece assembly is what was in there.  The plastic container has what came out of the bowl and other orifices' after I cleaned it out.

I adjusted the float and metering rod to specs. I could not find a freeze plug that fit at a local store. I found 1/2 inch but I think it is 5/8th.   Any other ideas to plug it off?  I am not sure I need to with the blue old adapter plate the carb sits on now?   I could not go back out to another auto parts store because we got hit hard by the storm.

I need the truck also today so I am thinking about putting in the new plugs and carb for now. I posted some better pics to get everyone's thoughts on this and also if all that plumbing is even needed? Looks pretty bizarre. The hole in the blue carb mount  looks like it matches up with the hole where the antifreeze was coming out of when I loosened the carb bolts.

I am hoping with the new plugs and rebuilt carb the truck will run much better.  

Thanks,
Josh

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Josh - If you need the truck today I say put the carb back on and try it.  Won't be that hard to take it off to plug that hole.  And you might if you continue to have a mystery coolant leak.

But you might do your best to measure the hole so we can help you find a plug for it.  Or, maybe you have and it really looks like 5/8"?

As for the rebuild, that was a whole lot of yuk for such a small carb.  And the different needle and seat might have been an issue.  But I'll bet the culprit was the folded corner on the accelerator pump.

But I'd leave the plumbing alone at this point.  Once you get it running correctly then you could seen about removing it and determine if it has been helping or not.  But if you pull it today it might not run right and you won't know if it is the carb or the lack of heat.

Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks Gary! The 1/2 inch plug looked like it might just slip through the hole so I am thinking 5/8ths might fit.

I will button her back up and see what happens.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
And....I have a new Truck! The difference with the new plugs and rebuilt carb is basically unbelievable . Idles very smoothly, no stumbling on idle, power when driving is much better and smooth.  I saw a little bit of smoke on startup but seems to have dissapeared at idle from what I can tell so far.  

This makes me much more motivated to do the front end work , steering stabilizer and cosmetic work.

I will fill the overflow tank and radiator and see if I still lose anti-freeze. Just need to get some enjoyment out of it first for all the work I put into it.

Thanks again everyone!
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
JG2020 wrote
And....I have a new Truck! The difference with the new plugs and rebuilt carb is basically unbelievable . Idles very smoothly, no stumbling on idle, power when driving is much better and smooth.  I saw a little bit of smoke on startup but seems to have dissapeared at idle from what I can tell so far.  

This makes me much more motivated to do the front end work , steering stabilizer and cosmetic work.

I will fill the overflow tank and radiator and see if I still lose anti-freeze. Just need to get some enjoyment out of it first for all the work I put into it.

Thanks again everyone!
That’s great! Good job!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JG2020

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks! Team work! Big shout out to Mikes Carbs.  Answered any question in 5 minutes when I was confused about parts. Also sent me the tear down and rebuild manual with troubleshooting.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by JG2020
Josh, I'm so happy for you!    

Glad you took the time and reached out for help.
Both you and the truck will be better off now.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks Jim! Very satisfying.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Nice job on the carb.
Yes drive & enjoy it then do the next thing you want.

As for the coolant hole in the intake.
It only leaked when you removed the carb right?
If it was not leaking before and if the gaskets are good it should not leak now.

When you say it was losing coolant how were you checking it, level in the radiator?
Or in the over flow tank and it was low?
The hose to the over flow tank dose it go to the bottom of the tank or just into the tank?

Some parts stores have tool rentals and they have a coolant pressure tester you could use to see if you have any leaks in the system.
Dave ----
Dave G.