Fuel Vapor Separator?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel Vapor Separator?

Cbarnes
I have looked everywhere that I know to look for this.  P/N EOTZ-9N176-B.  I haven’t been able to find one, mine is leaking.  Anyone have a spare they would sell, or know of an easy fix to delete it?  

Thanks,
Carl
1984 F-250, XLT, SuperCab, 460, C-6, 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel Vapor Separator?

kramttocs
Administrator
For some more information on these, check out the Hot Fuel Handling tab here

If previously tested pressure at the carburetor was below 3.5 psi., install one of the following vapor separators to increase the fuel pressure.
E3TZ-9N176-A gives 1.0 psi. increase at the carburetor (RED DOT).
E3TZ-9N176-B gives 2.0 psi. increase at the carburetor (BLUE DOT).

If the fuel pressure at the carburetor was too high or the concern still exists, replace the vapor separator with vapor separator E0TZ-9N176-B.
If the pressure is still incorrect, check the fuel return line for blockage. If the return line is clear, it will be necessary to replace the pump/sender assembly.
After service is completed, recheck pressure at the carburetor to confirm correction of the concern
As for an easy fix to delete, I've never removed one from a truck with electric pumps and tried it without (that would be a good Bill question). If you had any plans to switch to a mechanical pump, that would be an option but not one I'd consider on a leak alone.

Where is it leaking?

I went with stainless fuel line from the separator to the carb feed line and had to really crank it down hard, let if off, then crank it down hard again to get mine to not leak at that fitting. This is more so a problem with stainless though as it doesn't seat as well but have you tried reseating it, assuming it's leaking at a fitting?

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I never had mine leak, but unfortunately it and all of the other stuff is long gone after the EFI conversion. It is nothing more than a crimped cylinder with 3 inverted flare fittings. If it is leaking at the crimp, or where the fittings attach I would imagine it could be soldered or brazed.

It is a necessary component of the hot fuel handling package on F series with the 460 and AC as the engine heat will cause vapor lock on the mechanical pump in hot weather in traffic. The vapor separator serves to return gas vapor from the heat to the source tank.

One thing you have to understand, this was to fix a problem that was caused by a decision to drop the 460 from the "new" downsized truck body in 1980 and just having the 400 as the biggest V8 available. After Chevy/GMC with the 454 V8 was killing Ford in the towing market, Ford had two choices, concede the towing market the GM or bring back the big gun, the 460. Since the 1980 truck frame and engine compartment were designed around the 351M/400 as the biggest engine, the length and width or the 460 presented a problem as did the radiator opening. Once installed the 460 pretty well fills the entire space available, even the water pump hub is extremely close to the radiator. Everything from the front crossmember on the frame up and around is pretty well 460 specific. Ford also made a running change in the exhaust system in 1984 from a single system to a dual to the muffler system.

Bottom line, there were a lot of running changes as Ford corrected problems resulting from stuffing an engine they never intended to use into a chassis that ended up with an 18 year run (1980-1997).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Cbarnes
I think I have the vapor separator I took off Big Blue.  I replaced it with a return-style pressure regulator, and that worked quite well, so should be an option for you.  

But if you'd like to have the spare vapor separator it is yours for the shipping - assuming I still have it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Thanks guys,  it is leaking at the fitting on the carburetor side,  I tightened it pretty good, but didn’t back it off and reseat it.  I will try that.  

Gary,

What regulator did you use?

Carl
1984 F-250, XLT, SuperCab, 460, C-6, 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used a Holley 12-881 as shown here on Summit.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
But, you do have to change fittings IIRC.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Cbarnes
Cbarnes wrote
I have looked everywhere that I know to look for this.  P/N EOTZ-9N176-B.  I haven’t been able to find one, mine is leaking.  Anyone have a spare they would sell, or know of an easy fix to delete it?  

Thanks,
Carl
https://www.rearcounter.com/E0TZ-9N176-B-parts2218302.html
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
E3TZ 9N176-B is the same isn’t it? For some reason I know of that part number.

Doesn’t get many hits either in a search. Rear counter as David posted has info on it.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Mike Fawcett
Has anyone ever checked fuel pressure at the carb?  Factory service manual says 4.3.  Mine is only at 2.2 so I've just begun diagnoses, but I'm leaning toward fuel pumps,, partially because the sender portion of both senders has always been off so I'm thinking they are simply worn out.

Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not checked the pressure there, but bear in mind that there are three different orifice sizes, so it isn't likely that one PSI rating would cover all three.

Reply | Threaded
|

Mike Fawcett
Understood,  but my issue is like some others here I think,  and like you I put an adjustable regulator with a return in it's place.  I still only can get 2.1 psi,  so I checked pressure before the regulator, and still only 2.1 psi.  So now I'm working back towards the switching valve to check pressure on both sides to see what the pumps are actually producing.

And just to check my sanity,, the 460 setup does not have a 3rd pump on the frame,, right?  I ask this because there is a "splice" of rubber hose in the hard plastic factory fuel supply hose from the switch valve leading up to the motor and I cannot figure out why it's there, unless there was some damage to the line of some kind in the past and this was a quick fix.

Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not seen a 3rd pump on a 460.  Perhaps Bill has?  I'll tag him.

Reply | Threaded
|

Mike Fawcett
Thanks,,  After doing more digging here, I found TSB showing how and where to check fuel pressure before the separator/regulator.  It says the psi before the regulator should be at least 5.5 psi, and if not then replace the pump/sender.  That's where I'm headed now... but I'm gonna check it right outta the pump, even before the switch valve.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you found that.  Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have seen a 3rd pump on a 460, 1988-89 models had the same 3 pump system all the pre-1990 EFI engines had.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  I figured if anyone had seen it you would have.

Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hello Gary, my bull-headed octogenarian dad has an '87 F250 with the 460 that won't run, ostensibly because the vapor separator is clogged. I can't find E3TZ-9N176-A (.06 red dot), or B (.04 blue dot) anywhere. You had offered yours from Big Blue to another gentleman for the price of shipping. He was able to fix his leak so my hope is you still have it. Dad's "Portable Raised Bed Garden" doesn't really roll off the tongue, but it IS descriptive. Can Big Blue help her realize the "Portable" part again?
Nelson Eddy '87 F-250 460
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
E0TZ-9N176-B

One Found at NOS Only Parts in San Jose Ca. (408) 227-2353

----------------------------------------------

E3TZ-9N176-A

No one has any used or New Old Stock.

--------------------------------------------

E3TZ-9N176-B

"High Buck" Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park, Kansas Has One: (913) 381-2999
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by eddynr53
I will have to see if I still have it.  But before we get to that we need to discuss the guidelines.  The email you were sent asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder and post an introduction thread there.  And in doing so you would have had a chance to see the guidelines, which are posted there.  Since we hold everyone to the guidelines we want to ensure you've had a chance to see them.

Don't worry that you missed the email as many people do.  But please confirm that you've read the guidelines.

And tomorrow I'll look for the separator.