Fuel Vapor Separator?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fuel Vapor Separator?

eddynr53
Thanks for the tip, but neither of those suppliers answered calls.
Nelson Eddy '87 F-250 460
Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary, the email was a little confusing, partly because I was really focused on a solution, partly because the priorities aren’t reflected in the auto-reply, and partly because the site is a little cumbersome. I think I filled out my profile. What else is needed?
Any luck in finding the separator?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, haven't been out to the shop very many times in the last few days, and when I was it was to get the truck and/or tools to do work at our church building.  And today I've not felt well, so Janey encouraged me to rest up.  Given that, I've not had a chance to look for the separator.  Sorry.  

Having said that, a bunch of things come to mind.  First, while I'm happy to help out, I'd really like to make sure I'm really helping out and not sending something that is to be flipped for cash.  Toward that end I asked in this post that you show us some pics of your father's truck.  Yes, I know that you could grab a pic anywhere and post it, but was hoping that you'd play along.

Another was that my remembrance is that the vapor separator can be disassembled and cleaned.  Or at least cleaned with brake cleaner and compressed air.  That would certainly be faster than me finding mine, if I still have it, and shipping it.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get out to the shop tomorrow after church and get my A/C running, or maybe I should say the drain flowing.  And then as it starts to cool I can look for the separator.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
Gary, sorry you're not feeling well. I tried acetone in an ultrasonic cleaner. I can blow any of 3 orifices in the improper replacement O'Reilly provided and air comes out the other two (L in photo). Not so with clogged original. It looks like fittings are pressed or braised in. A dozen different auto parts, friction, and hose folks say it can't be disassembled, that the part is discontinued, and they don't have inverted flare brass fittings to adapt the improper part. I could not find the part on car-part.com. The truck runs when spraying brake cleaner in the carb so hopeful I can find the part and save the truck from its final tow to the scrap yard. After futzing with this forum system for over an hour, it looks like the image size limit is 1M and you can only crop a square from the original landscape photo for the profile. I chose the "bullnose" rather than the bed for the profile photo. All my photos are ~3-5M. Hopefully this link with photos of the truck and fuel system works: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqK2PSUw97GVgp41UyxSz_FmPsYBaw?e=outXfp
What else do you need to make sure this part will be used for other than nefarious purposes?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm feeling much better this morning.  I think it was something I ate.

On the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's we have instructions on how to upload pics.  But I downloaded two of yours and then uploaded them to the forum, as shown below.  All you have to do is to click the Big button for resizing and it'll reduce the file size.

However, as you can see, the vapor separator pic is rotated.  That issue is also written up on that page.

As for the vapor separator, it doesn't look like it'll come apart.  And if acetone in an ultrasonic cleaner didn't clean it up it is not going to work.  I'll see if I still have mine later today.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
Gotcha, thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Those retailers have business hours, so that might be why the call didn't go through or why they did not answer.

I'd try again tomorrow (6/26/23) if Gary doesn't have any luck.  Between 8:00am and 5:00pm their local time.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've had good luck emailing them rather than calling.

Anyway, we had an A/C drain leak at our church building this morning so I've spent all afternoon vacuuming up water and then troubleshooting to find that the drain pan is rusted through.  

Just got home and looked where the separator should be, in the 460 bin, and it wasn't.  So I need to do a more thorough search and hope to do that tomorrow.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sorry, but I turned the shop upside down today and still haven't found the separator.  I will keep looking but doubt I'll find it as I have looked pretty much everywhere.

If it was me I'd put fittings on your separator and then put air pressure in in a reverse fashion.  In other words, I'd see if I could blow out whatever is in there.  Obviously it isn't something you are going to get to dissolve.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
If you find another and have the means, before you toss yours it'd be great if you could cut lengthways down each side and split it in half. I've always been curious to know what's inside beside the screens and a hole of a certain size.

(Meaning, can it survive some time in the oven...)
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
Left messages in the middle of the day and emailed. No response.
Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Oops, wrong thread. To answer your question, great minds think alike. I'm dying to know what's (not) in there that is causing me so much hassle. Will update if I ever get the bloody thing running.
Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
Thanks for looking. Tried blowing out numerous times. Beginning to look like unobtainium. Going to try bypassing with simple fuel line. Reserve tank isn't working anyway.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What will work is a return-style fuel pressure regulator like this one from Holley.  I used the chrome version on Big Blue for several years with no problems.

Because the electric fuel pump is supplying more fuel pressure than needed for the carb it'll return some fuel all the time and therefore you won't have vapor lock.

Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
In reply to this post by eddynr53
Back to the drawing board. Mechanic friend (who mostly works on fuel injection engines so not real familiar with carburetor quirks/hacks) bypassed the separator and it appears not enough fuel is getting through as it won't keep running after the brake cleaner in the carb runs out. There's some fuel coming through, but ostensibly not enough for that thirsty 461. Any checklist/tips/advice on how to troubleshoot upstream?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure you've said what carb you are running, but I wouldn't put brake cleaner in a Holley.  My worry is that the power valve won't survive.

Anyway, it sounds as if whatever clogged the fuel vapor separator has also clogged the fuel pump, or at least the sock on the end of the pickup.  The old-school trick of blowing the sock off the end of the pickup by placing compressed air in the line coming from the pump would be my next trick.  But that was usually done on a system with a mechanical pump and I don't know what it'll do to an electric pump.

Also, you should have a selector valve on the frame below the driver, and it is possible that is part of if not the problem.  So I'd pull the fuel supply line going to the selector valve and turn the key on to see what happens.  You should get a good supply of fuel, and if so then the selector valve may be the problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The in-tank pumps are centrifugal so carefully blowing back through it should be possible. The other possible problem with these is the 6 port motor operated selector valve next to the front tank. If it is not moving into position completely it may be causing a problem.

Pressure spec is 5-7 psi. I thought I had the flow rate also, but can't find it right now, it is probably only in the service manual.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I posted the volume in another thread.  It is a quart in 15 seconds {or 60 gph)

Gary has it in the documentation

Right column, page 37 of TSB 84-24-14 found here:   https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/460-fuel-systems.html

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

eddynr53
Great info for us to try, thank you!