classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
113 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ford dual tank silliness

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim won’t have a problem there as the issue arises only when you have both the front and rear axles driving. And that’s because the front tires take a different path thru turns so travel a different distance than the rear tires.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
ever watch someone from behind and see their front tires clear a curb then the back wheel crawl right up on it? or nascar, you know the passenger side goes more than 500 miles in a 500 mile race.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My front axle is open. The truck doesn't get bound up.

The biggest problem right now is my left knee.
I absolutely can't use the ball of my foot without drooling in pain.

I'm borrowing the Altima.
Kinda glad right now that my brother has a car for each day of the week.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I thought we all had one for each day of the week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Now that's something I purely despise: a Nissan! But it's better than nothing.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've got no problem with it ('13 3.5 CVT)
It has tactile controls, good heat and is an absolute rocket  with the CVT you put your foot in it and the tach swings around to its torque peak (about 3,700) and the car pulls and just keeps pulling.
It's also quiet at speed... at least at a bit more than a buck and a quarter.
It's not mine, so I'm not going to push it. 😉
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Yeah those cvt's are great until they break. And there's no fixing them. The entire unit has to be replaced. Just hope and pray it's still under warranty. I cannot tell you how many time I've seen those transmissions have issues. Nissan irritates me on many fronts. They have bad electrical systems, evidenced by the amount of corrosion present on the battery 99.9% of the time. On the 2.5: the spark plug tube seals. You can't replace them. You have to replace the WHOLE VALVE COVER. And those ain't cheap. I sell WAY too many parts for these cars.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The Altima is 11 years old w/155k.
I don't think anything's under warranty anymore.  

The CVT is fine if you actually change the fluid with the proper stuff.
It's about ready for #3.
Nothing's going to help if you just leave it, or let it go too long and THEN change it

Sorry, I know nothing about the 4-banger tube seals.
Can't imagine that someone like Dorman hasn't come up with an aftermarket solution, but I don't know how long lived those engines are.

( I know a lot about tiny aspects of the world I care about, and virtually nothing about things that haven't provoked in interest in me.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
That is true about the fluid change. My main problem is their failure rate and the fact that you have to replace the entire transmission. Dorman does make a replacement, but they're scarce. We usually get them from the dealer. It's just my general beef with anything late model. I hate them.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
I'm not showing it any mercy!  

I have a beef with touchscreens in a vehicle but this Altima is old enough that it still has tactile controls (buttons, levers & switches)

I wouldn't want a Tesla, for example.
But short of all the freaking modules that fail new cars are great.
A friend of mine was boasting about his Mach1 429 Mustang and I had to say that a bare bones 2023 Elantra would kick its ass by any metric.
He was not pleased...  😂
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
That's what I hate about them! They're fast! They make all the classics look bad.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You "hate" that 40+ years of technological advancement has resulted in much better vehicles?

I think you're in the wrong line of work.
Maybe you should ask Mat for a job?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
heyyyy ..... leave me out of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Are you hiring?  🤨

At least you seem to give a damn about your work, and not jerking around your customers.
That speaks volumes in and of itself!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Well, define better. To me, better is simpler. I'd drive a Model A if I could.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I hate computer controls, lack of manual transmissions, check engine lights. Yes, you can still get a manual Mustang, but what about trucks? Ford hasn't produced a manual truck in almost 20 years. It's everything about them. The way they look. The way they feel. And besides, I just sell parts for them. I don't work on them!
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
More efficient, more comfortable, FAR quicker and faster.

If you like bouncing along at 30mph with cold, rain or snow blowing on you be my guest!
If you like getting out to crank the engine to life and managing spark advance, etc while trying to navigate a busy road full of idiots, knock yourself out.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Well that's still better than walking 1.6 miles in the cold rain like I did yesterday just to get some coffee!
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Why do you have an old truck then?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Because it's paid for, cheap taxes and insurance.
 I can fix it with a hammer and a zip tie if I have to.
 I WILL get home!  😆
 Jim,