113 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ford dual tank silliness

Ifitaintbroke
Uh, alligators, Jim?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill is known to say "up to my A-hole in alligators"
...meaning wading through a dangerous situation mired in "muck".

(This is to not trigger Gary or upset the 'family oriented' audience)
As you might believe of a crabby old truck driver with a New York mob background my daily conversation would make a sailor blush
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Yeah I deal with more truckers than any other group of people. Even mechanics. Georgia seems to breed a lot of em. Colorful language they have...
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't know where Bill came up with that.
I assume in the USMC.
But it definitely fit my situation today, with a blown out knee and a blown up rear end.  🙄
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks!
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're very welcome!
I try to use my 'handicap' for good.😆
 I hope it helps!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Hope it's not a Chebby rear axle. I sell a lot of parts for those...
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ford 10.25
I blowed it up perty gud!  

Photos in the Whydtytt if you like.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Oh man, that's Lil' Red ain't it? (I have a rooster by that name)
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yessir!

🙄
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
There is a picture gallery on the site. If you go there pictures of a number of trucks are there including Darth.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Is Darth's pumpkin blown to smithereens?

Mat may be right.
There was some small thing banging around in there.
I didn't see it until I cleaned out my cover.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I need to pry the chunks out of the crown and get a better look at the carnage
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No, Darth's was updated due to the left side wheel inner bearing seizing and galling the tube. I got a used axle from Pete's and used just the housing as it had a rusted 4.10 set in it. I used the guts from the 1990 F250 parts truck as it was a 3.55 limited slip. Due to the axle from Pete's being a 1993 or newer, it had the 3.5" wide rear brakes.

The one I completely rebuilt was my best friend's (we have been friends since 1972) used one he bought from Pete's for his 1995 F350 with the first gen Power Stroke 7.3L. He wanted rear disc brakes installed as he didn't like the stopping power. We took Darth to dinner one night when I was clearing out the house in NN because his had a trailer hooked up and to get his Corvette out involved moving that first. Since he knew the way and I didn't, I just threw him Darth's keys and said "you drive". First corner he nearly put us both through the windshield.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Possibly could have jammed in the gears causing catastrophic failure?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think so.  🤷‍♂️
The Zf shifts well. I haven't blown a shift since I was a teenager (45 years ago)

I noticed a weepy pinion seal a while back.
I checked the lube. Made sure it was topped up and had the seal in hand waiting for a clear day when I wasn't literally exhausted.
Then one day I backed off to coast through an intersection.
Bang!
Skid...
Roll into a lot and look underneath.
Go back to the intersection to see that both wheels locked (this is an open diff)

Xxxx it, I've got to go.
I was very cautious from there on, but at 0-dark-30 one morning doing about 70 on the Parkway....
BOOM!  😳
And the driveshaft is flailing around!...
I dove to the right and rolled off a ramp.
I walked back to snatch the driveshaft from the center lane.
I looked for my hubcap but just went back to the truck, locked the hubs and got out of there before someone showed up.

I'll just keep driving until I can afford the grand worth of parts I need to put this thing back together.  😄
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I didn't know you could drive with just the front that long.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it's not ideal yet if it is not fighting differential from the rear then the transfer case. is just running a front wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
mat in tn wrote
it's not ideal yet if it is not fighting differential from the rear then the transfer case. is just running a front wheel drive.
This....  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Oh ok. What about the turning issue? I've heard the transfer case doesn't like that.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.