classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ford F250 chassis from the 80's ?

Olaf
Hello
I'm from Germany and I need help, I need a new kingpin because it's knocked out. Unfortunately I don't know which chassis I have, because the vehicle is made up of several unknown parts.
I think it's a Ford F250 or F350 chassis from the 80's.
The engine installed is a 460.
Can anyone tell from the pictures and the part numbers what kind of chassis this is (and year of manufacture)?
Thanks
Olaf
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ford F250 chassis from the 80's ?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Olaf!  Glad you joined.  

You may have missed the email I sent you asking you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an introduction there.  We ask that because we hold everyone to the guidelines and since they are posted in the NMSH folder ask that you first post there to ensure you have a chance to read them.

Don't worry, many people miss that step.  But have you read them?

And, what part of Germany?  I've spent some time there, and we have some members there - which you can see on the map at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.  Happy to add you if you'd like.

As for identifying the parts, do you have a VIN?  Or a certification label on the driver's door jamb?  If so can you post a pic of them?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Olaf
Hello Gary
Thank you for your quick response.
I'm from near Berlin.
Unfortunately I don't know which vehicle the chassis is from.
It's a Ford chassis with a Chevy body.
Here is another picture of the problem.
My Chevy on Ford chassis (with my Dodge in tow:))
Olaf
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, please read the guidelines here and confirm that you have.

Second, do you want to be on the map as if in Berlin?  Having been there I'm aware it is rather large, but we aren't trying to get very precise either.

As for the vehicle, now I understand!  '57 Dodge?  And a '53 Chevy panel truck?

But let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.  In the illustration below I've circled the king pin in red.  Is that what we are talking about?

If so we need to get some of the guys involved that know more about king pins than I do, but I can look at the part numbers.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Olaf
Usually somewhere on the frame there would be a VIN stamped for US and Canada sales and possibly for overseas sales From your pictures you have the forged axles. If it is like my 1986 F350, the king pins have screw in end caps. If you have them and you can get one of the top ones off you should be able to measure the king pin diameter (bottom might work too). It looks from Rock Auto's catalog that it is most likely the same as the F350, a 1.054 inch diameter pin almost 7 inches long.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
1959 Dodge, neighbor's 15 year old son has a blue and white one with the 326 ci Poly head V8.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  I'm not au fait with king pins.  Nor Dodges in the late 50's I guess.  Drove a '54 Plymouth a bunch, but didn't drive a Dodge until the Bee in '69.

As for the VIN, which might tell us a lot, Ford stamped them on the top of the frame roughly under the right front passenger's feet.  You can see where it is on Dad's truck in this post and also in a post a couple of notches further down.

Reply | Threaded
|

Olaf
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Wow, you're fast.
Gary I have read the guidelines, but where do I have to confirm them?
I don't have to appear on the map (I don't have a real Ford either)
Yes, it's a 1953 Chevy panel on a Ford chassis. I use this for dirt track racing.
The 1959 Dodge (Mayfair) was completely restored by me in 1997.
Yes, it's about the King Pin, since I have to order it, of course I have to know which vehicle it is for.
Thanks for the tip with the VIN, I'll see tomorrow if I can find it on the frame as described.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, since it is 5 PM here it is midnight there.  When do you sleep?

But, you are now on the map, albeit in the middle of a busy street so that's not likely where you live.

As for the ChevFord, that looks like fun!  Do you win much?  You said you have a 460?  What transmission?

Don't miss Bill's posts.  He's done a lot more with king pins than I have.

But I have been to Berlin.  My wife and I stayed there for several days a few years ago and really enjoyed it.  However we've been to several other parts of Germany more times - especially Bavaria.  (Might have even seen a large parade there.  )

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok what year is the Chrysler in the dirt track picture? We had a 1953 Custom Imperial when I was growing up, 331 Hemi and "Tip toe" shift semi-automatic transmission.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Just because I had a 1958 F100 I put king pins in, a 1993 GMC 3500 HD I have done two sets in and had two other Ford trucks with king pins a Packard and a couple of Mercedes-Benz 111 body cars with king pins.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe 1986 was the last year for kingpins on F250 and F350 4x2 trucks.

The 460 was first offered in 1983, so that would make the frame/suspension 1983-1986.

Hard to tell, but the rear axle looks to be a Sterling 10.25, which would put the frame a little closer to 85-86 although I don't remember the first year for the Sterling 10.25.
Reply | Threaded
|

Olaf
Hello folks
Thank you for your answers.
Gary, our dirt track races are all about having fun, not winning (most of the time).
ChevFord is a good name, but when it comes to racing, my nickname is the white elephant.
Bill, unfortunately I don't know anything about the other vehicle (Chrysler) in the picture.
salans7 thanks for restricting the year of construction.
I found the VIN on the chassis and I hope I read it correctly as it was hard to reach (only with a small mirror).
VIN: 22254BN0
Can you relate to this?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's see if I can translate 22254BN0.  (There might be more of a VIN elsewhere on top of the frame, Olaf.)

First, I don't see the "1FD" that I'd expect, which means we need to figure out what part of the VIN we have.  There are only four positions in the middle that can have alpha characters: engine code; check digit; model year; and assembly plant.  But there's no "O" in the assembly plant list so that really must be a "0" on the end.  Which makes the "N" the assembly plant, and that's Norfolk.  Which would make the "B" the model year and that's 1981.  But that would make the check digit the "4", which probably works.  However that makes the engine code a "5" and there's no such animal.

So, what am I missing, guys?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Shaun - I forgot your post about the rear axle.  If we could figure out what it is, and assuming it is original, maybe that would help us.

Olaf - Can you post pics of the rear axle?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
So, what am I missing, guys?  
If this frame/suspension were from a truck destined for a foreign market, would it have followed the same rules considering the frame stamp was required by the US government and not necessarily foreign governments?
Reply | Threaded
|

Olaf
Hello Gary
I found a way to photograph the VIN, it looks completely different than in the small mirror (and no longer inverted).

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Shaun - Good question.

Olaf - Any idea how the frame got to Germany?  From what I've seen that usually happens when a US service member has a vehicle shipped over, and when s/he comes back the vehicle gets left.  There have been some imported into various European countries by Europeans, but I wouldn't have expected one of those to be parted out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Olaf - That makes more sense: GNB45222.  If B45222 is the assembly number then N is the plant, Norfolk, and G is the year - 1986.

And that axle sure looks like the Sterling 10.25 that's under Big Blue.  Plus the 5-leaf spring pack says F250 or 350.  Shaun?

Reply | Threaded
|

Olaf
Gary the complete vehicle has been imported from the USA.