classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
93 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fog Light Bezel, Switch, etc

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Can't wait!    I love the process of drawing things up that become 3-dimensional items.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, guys, got a new toy for Christmas, a Flashforge 3D printer. If I provide a good sample can someone make me the needed file so I can manufacture some trim clips for my convertible? There are 10 of them NLA from anywhere except one company says maybe, but at $14.58 each that is $145.80 = shipping and maybe tax. Even for a spool of the high priced filament it will still be cheaper.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I'll be happy to draw it up and send you the file.  Most printers I've researched like .STL files, but you should check yours to see what it would like for optimal performance.

How 'bout you start another thread about this?  I've sent you an email regarding when I can do it, but we can do most of the work here on the forum so that others can see what is going on.  And, that may suggest things for the Bullnose trucks that can be made.  Who knows what you can make?

Start the thread and post some pics so I can get an idea of what we are talking about.  I may be able to ask for specific measurements that you can provide and won't have to ship anything.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
what size piece is that printer capable of producing?
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
This is the issue with "consumer" 3-D printers. they are "additive" printer for the most part and don't truly "fuse" resin.
They "spit-out" tiny drops they attach to each other.

I could not find one (under 5K) that had any structural integrity in the piece being made.

They key here is structural and thermal integrity.
Hope you have good success though......
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The machines you are talking about are all filament extrusion machines.
They don't "fuse resin" at all.
They use heat to melt a *polymer* and adhere it to other polymer already laid down.

The Formlabs printer and some other consumer grade printers DO use stereo lithography to fuse a resin (or monomer) with ultraviolet lasers.

I don't know of any consumer grade laser printers that are powerful enough to do laser sintering of powdered metals like Shapeways does.
Probably due to the current required or the liability.
Although there are plenty of CNC *cutting* lasers out there that work in two planes, just like a plasma table does.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hmmm,

It does look like Formlabs is coming out with a printer that laser fuses (sinters) Nylons.  (11 & 12)

https://formlabs.com/3d-printers/fuse-1/
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice machine, but at $10K I could wait a while for someone else to make it and ship it to me.    However, one of these days those capabilities will come down by a factor of 10.  I hope.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And this is why we have places like Shapeways that can give us mere mortals access to printers costing a half million dollars....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  Shapeways just announced their new HP printer that does Nylon.  If we get Bill's retainer nailed dimensionally but it doesn't have the needed strength then he can have them print it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I think all their printers do Nylon.

The new HP has a bigger field (2x the Y dimension of Premium) and is supposed to be faster.
But their development with HP does not seem to be meeting expectations.

Down below that in the 'You May Also Like' on the right is 'Your Questions Answered: Premium Strong & Flexible Nylon Plastic'
https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/35929-questions-answered-premium-strong-flexible-nylon-plastic.html
So 'premium' is just post print burnishing.
Nylon is nothing new and doesn't have to be done in the new (expensive) HP machine
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have an nos switch cover. I could possibly see if the drafting teacher at my highschool could draw one up.
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1989 F-250HD XLT Lariat Super Cab
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - I'm not sure what you mean by "switch cover".  Do you mean a knob or the bezel, like this: