Easy choice between Blue Top and Redhead steering gear

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Easy choice between Blue Top and Redhead steering gear

Littlebeefy
Unfortunately we won’t be able to argue over which one is better anymore. Blue Top is officially going out of business.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Easy choice between Blue Top and Redhead steering gear

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!  My SiL, TJMac, was just about to order from them.

Here's a screenshot from their website:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
That is unfortunate.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Well that's a dang shame! I was very pleased with both the service and the product they provided me with. Interesting that their reason for closing is an inability to find help. I see that in my own area of work. We pay $18 an hour to answer phone calls and address customer service and also struggle to find help.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
I wasn't planning on purchasing one right now, but it was definitely on my list.  My steering has some slop in it.

I don't want to take my truck off the road right now to do the work and return the core...

Hmm.... what to do.  Well, I guess I should buy one while it is in stock and worry about the core after that...

Ok, purchased.  Sad to hear though.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Littlebeefy wrote
Unfortunately we won’t be able to argue over which one is better anymore. Blue Top is officially going out of business.
I wanted to try a Blue Top as well, but when I finally did get a chance to buy one during a sale...Red Top had Ford boxes in-stock and Blue Top did not. Kind of a sin really.

I want to buy another one now...I was waiting for the fall sales...either Thanksgiving or Christmas they both usually did a $20 off sale...which isn't much, but it is something.

I guess it will be a Red Top again...

Everybody is having trouble finding workers now. It's really bad where I live...there's so much available work now for skilled trades. Our local shipyard has 30+ years of worked booked, and they're doing job fairs all over the world looking for workers.

Our two main suppliers at my work...(one in NC, the other in upstate NY) are both having issues with not enough skilled trades people.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
Think it's bad now - it's only going to get worse.  Once the "boomer" generation starts to retire en masse, there will be HUGE shortages in skilled trade positions.  One reason I told my sons to forget about college, and look into the trades.  You'll be able to name your price for labor costs, as there will be no one to do it.  Two or three generations sold on going to college, and not into the trades is going to leave huge holes in the labor market.  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Everybody is having trouble finding workers now. It's really bad where I live...there's so much available work now for skilled trades. Our local shipyard has 30+ years of worked booked, and they're doing job fairs all over the world looking for workers.

Our two main suppliers at my work...(one in NC, the other in upstate NY) are both having issues with not enough skilled trades people.
I work for a Toyota supplier (as a Manufacturing and Controls Engineer), and we've been having issues finding workers for some time now. Not just the main plant in Madison, IN... all of our satellites in the states and our Canadian plant too. Seems everybody else in town is more attractive; we've lost operators to Walmart and even the Louisville Ford truck plant, but one other manufacturer in town seems to be the #1 beneficiary of our losses.

Not even "skilled" work... heck, we trained a bunch of salaried people from the HQ office who volunteered to run some our lines part time for a week. But we've had issues with skilled workers too (especially forklift drivers, maintenance mechanics, and die maintenance welders/machists).

I won't speak publicly about the causes of our troubles (for the sake of my continued employment)... but if you're at the show in a couple weekends, I'll be happy to tell more!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
It looks like they changed their mind??

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread