EEC III California Emissions - time to convert it?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EEC III California Emissions - time to convert it?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Have you pulled the codes?  The ECU should be telling you what it thinks the problem is.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by 66gtk
66gtk wrote
Yes, one pump is all it's ever needed and 2-3 seconds of cranking.  Here's a real good old fashioned video to watch on how to start a carbureted vehicle and why it only takes one full pump.  I also run only non oxygenated, ethanol free fuel and put seafoam in the tank for stabilizer and other benefits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTEdWt2V3s
Yes, that's a good video.  And is why *I* posted it on this forum a few weeks ago!

I use ethanol-free fuel in all of my carburetors.

Are you still running the stock mechanical fuel pump? How long can your truck sit before it needs more than one pump of fuel to start?

Lucille takes a single pump and starts immediately if it is driven every day or every other day.  It always has and it starts the same as in the video.  If the engine is warm, it doesn't even need that.  If she sits all week, one single pump is simply not enough and I need to give her 5 pumps of fuel before starting the engine, but then she fires right up.  It works like this every time.

But if she sits for 3 weeks - which is rare - it requires a little more.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Gary, the EEC3 doesn't store any codes.  I've found some videos on how to attempt to get live codes but you have to build a science experiment to read them.  After all that, there are only a dozen possible code pulses and then you need a special breakout box to further diagnose in the manner your posted manual suggests.  
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The EEC-III requires pulling a vacuum on the BARO sensor until it thinks you are on the moon, then it will give you voltmeter sweeps for codes.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
TPS voltage swing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxH0Joc2B8

i can't see how it's possible to remove and replace the TPS on this carb while it's installed.  I don't understand how the throttle shaft is wound through it.

The exact carb happens to be available on ebay now for photo reference
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-84-Ford-Truck-w-171-Ford-2V-Carburetor-w-TPS-Feedback-Valve-P-N-2-816-/223475629928
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You pull the choke and the fast idle cam to remove the TPS.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
This post was updated on .
I have a lot to learn - Not even close to being a mechanic.  I can do simple things like this on my 66 Mustang, but this truck is a completely different ball of wires and hoses under the hood (:

Still looks like I'll need to remove the carb to get that choke assembly off?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you've found your problem.  I don't believe there's supposed to be a dip in the readings.

But I don't know anything about removing the TPS.  Maybe Bill can tell us more?  And I'll look tomorrow to see if I have any other literature that tells.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Thanks - an if there is any "adjustment" to the TPS installation required, how does one go about that?  There doesn't appear to be slotted screw holes for this (which would seem impossible to access when installed anyway) so maybe it just simply pushes on with a guide slot of some sort?  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Probably no adjustment for the TPS, if there is it will probably be a reference voltage like the first EFI engines. Do yourself a favor, try to find a Motorcraft or at least Fomoco brand part, many of the aftermarket stuff is junk.

1966 Mustang, from your screen name I would bet a 1966 GT with the K code HiPo 289. Here's what I used to own:

I had the Shelby-American 10 spoke (10 outer, 5 inner) mags on when I owned it. They were apparently real magnesium as they were super light.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
66gtk wrote
TPS voltage swing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxH0Joc2B8

i can't see how it's possible to remove and replace the TPS on this carb while it's installed.  I don't understand how the throttle shaft is wound through it.

The exact carb happens to be available on ebay now for photo reference
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-84-Ford-Truck-w-171-Ford-2V-Carburetor-w-TPS-Feedback-Valve-P-N-2-816-/223475629928
Compared to those without a TPS, the throttle shaft has a smaller diameter at the location of the TPS.  I think you would need to remove the choke assembly from the carburetor in order to replace it.  Like someone else suggested, I would try to find a genuine Ford/Motorcraft part to replace it with.

And that is *not* the exact carburetor on Ebay.  The difference is in the throttle shaft.  That carburetor has the kickdown linkage for a C6.  The AOD would have completely different linkage to hook the TV rod to.

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
<quote author="85lebaront2">
Probably no adjustment for the TPS, if there is it will probably be a reference voltage like the first EFI engines. Do yourself a favor, try to find a Motorcraft or at least Fomoco brand part, many of the aftermarket stuff is junk.

Would this be it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-CX-798-Throttle-Position-Sensor-TPS-E3TZ-9B989-B/184120101145?fits=Year%3A1983%7CModel%3AF-150%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.0L&hash=item2ade69c919:g:MqQAAOSweI9eFmmQ

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
<quote author="1986F150Six">
85lebaront2 wrote
Probably no adjustment for the TPS, if there is it will probably be a reference voltage like the first EFI engines. Do yourself a favor, try to find a Motorcraft or at least Fomoco brand part, many of the aftermarket stuff is junk.

Would this be it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-CX-798-Throttle-Position-Sensor-TPS-E3TZ-9B989-B/184120101145?fits=Year%3A1983%7CModel%3AF-150%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.0L&hash=item2ade69c919:g:MqQAAOSweI9eFmmQ
That sure does look like it. And it's even cheaper than the aftermarket parts.  

Good job, Chief!  

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Guess I'll have an extra on hand!  Thanks for the link.

Here's the correct carb - yes?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Autolite-2150-1983-84-Ford-Truck-302-AOT-w-TPS-Feedback-Except-ALT/182480681991?hash=item2a7cb23c07:g:3U0AAOSwImRYk5RB

Troy
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Bill - Yes, you nailed it.  Mine is a convertible also with factory pony interior and a Toploader.  Nice GT350!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Yes, that is the correct AOD/AOT throttle shaft and linkage.  Not only is the geometry completely different, but notice that the TV rod connects to the front of the linkage.  By contrast, the C4/C6 kickdown rod connects to the back of it's respective linkage.

I know they made millions of them, but they aren't so easy to find anymore.

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Any tips on how to do this without removing the carb?  Is it even worth trying? It's very busy in this area and from my photos it looks like somebody already rounded off some screw heads trying?? ):

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Carb has to come off.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Today's update - carb removed, new TPS bench tested good.  I installed it, and tested it again while on the carb.  Still testing good.  confirmed again old one taken off was tested bad, and the mounting screws were not even close to being tight allowing the TPS to move a bit.  

I thought for sure this would solve the intermittent issue.  I buttoned everything up, thanked God I didn't break anything and went for a drive.  It's better, but the off idle stumble is still there at times.  Not consistent, but it's there.  I guess the TPS was not my magic bullet, but the truck is still enjoyable to drive and has plenty of power.  For now it all remains stock, just like day 1.  I'll drive it like this for a while.  I also changed out the accelerator cable.  It was stiff and difficult to modulate.  The new one installed without an issue and made an instant improvement all around.  Everything feels better, all with a simple cable change.  It makes it easier to compensate for the hesitation when it happens, too.

STILL STOCK photo (:  Certainly not pretty, but this is what Ford gave us back in the day.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The stumble isn't consistent?  Did the consistency/inconsistency change?

Have you tried enrichening the idle air/fuel mix?