classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dual Exhaust Idea

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I think it was Scott.  Let's see what he has to say...
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Never could get that thing to seal properly

I just did a flush/refill a couple days ago and actually pulled that cap with the anode out of the box and back onto my workbench to look into again.

So sadly I can't really say if it is being sacrificially consumed or not.

Edit...
I guess since my second filler neck port is now filled with the Water Weld, I could tap it for a small, long bolt.
Install the bolt with sealer (or permanently with more WW), remove the anode from the junky cap and hang it from the bolt.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That port we filled with epoxy would almost work - except that the coolant is usually a bit below that point.  And it may be too small to get the anode in there and still insulate it.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I think I was editing at the same time you were posting
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  But your idea of hanging it from the bolt would work.  And, of course, you know that an 8mm tap cuts threads nicely in there.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
UPDATE:

I tried removing the bolts via welding nuts on, Nuts and washers on. I was able to get ti down to the 2 long bolts through the timing chain cover.  I had one break off inside the cover, and the other I didn't go any further with.  I began pulling the timing cover way from the motor, and got it to lift a bit, but used all of my leveraging skills I could muster, everything short of breaking off that last bolt (which would have most probably broke flush with the block), and i did not want to do that, so I chose to destroy the timing cover and get a new one. Once the old onw was off I had enough sticking out and got ride of the fuel line so I could heat the block a bit with a propane torch. It took serval tries but I got ALL of the bolts out of the block without drilling or tapping. As I think about it now I realized that the drilling and tapping isn't the issue it's the level of stress during the slow tedious process that makes me resistant to use that most of the time. The worrying if,
1. I'm on center
2. Drill too deep
3. Break one of the drill bits
4. Worse yet, the tap

ah....The agony!

Replaced the Timing Cover, Water Pump, T-Stat, and Hoses, added a Used 3-Row Radiator, and I went with Aftermarket 12-Pt Stainless Fasteners for re-install (I'm not going to have this issue again since I see some motor work in my future) It'll be easier in the long run.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

I do have another problem regarding fuel, or the lack of it, that I'll Post later today
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it worked out, Alex.  I think the stainless bolts are a good idea.  However, did you use something on the bolts to prevent them from seizing in the aluminum of the timing cover or the block?  Something like the  Loctite 56747 PST?

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I used these inserts to seal the thermactor holes in the back of my E7 heads:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400265?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnNyUBhCZARIsAI9AYlESOh8If1K7Jj6PMVapri9VduTaLI4V7cTMF3Rw-_z8yY5fYrQJVpoaAlz0EALw_wcB
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.