classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
60 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Door Panels & Interior Handle Boots

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's have a discussion about door panels and the boots that go on/in the door panels and surround the interior door handle.  I'm looking for info to help us nail down some differences I've seen.

Basically, I believe that the door panels from 1980 through 1982 had studs to hold the door handle boots, and for 1983 they changed the boots to a grommet style that mounts in the opening instead of on the studs.  I don't know when the studs were dropped from the doors, but by 1985 they apparently had been dropped as none of the 1985 panels I have include the studs.

I come to this conclusion by looking at the part numbers for the boots/grommets, shown below  Note that through 1982 they mixed and matched E0, E1, and E2 part numbers, and since the early boots mounted on studs, apparently they all did through 1982.  But, in 1983 the earlier part numbers were no longer used, so I think that's when the boots became grommets and mount in the opening in the door.  In fact, note that the black E0 boots were replaced by E3 boots, which can be popped into the opening of the door panel with or without the studs.

So, I'm asking y'all if you can help figure this out.  Do you have original door panels and boots?  If so, what year and what style of boot do you have?  Do your door panels have studs?  

Here are the details:

On Dad's 1981 truck the boots are flat and mount on a stud on the back of the panel like this:

And they look like this from the front:

But the door panels I have from 1983 and later trucks don't have those studs, and the boots are actually grommets that go into the opening in the door panel and look like this:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door Panels & Interior Handle Boots

kramttocs
Administrator
The panels I have handy aren't from middle years so not that helpful...

80 - studs
85(x2) - insert (no studs present)
86(x3) - insert (no studs present)
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - But at least yours fit with my theory.  So good data points.  Thanks!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
My Bronco, built in Feb of 86 also has the inserts and no studs.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

Hi Gary, the E1 part number medium duty NOS door card that I am holding for you looks like it has the rear mounted boot. So it fits the pattern.

On a more anecdotal note, the door cards in my F150 came from a 1983 Bronco. That was the last year for black interior, and the Bronco appeared to be very original. It has the grommet type of boot. I can pull a door card later and verify the lack of studs, but I have no reason to believe the boots are not original. Your black weave bezel set also came from this Bronco.

Funny thing, I didn’t realize the boot type changed. I just thought the early trucks had an additional inner dust/noise control boot and that the outer color-coded grommet type boot must be missing 😅. Learn something new every day ha ha...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Steve - Thanks.  That fits the pattern.

Jonathan - If your grommets are pliable you might be able to pull one w/o pulling the card/panel and reach inside to determine if there are studs.  You can see their position in the pic above, and the one at the bottom of the angle where it starts back up should be easy to reach.  But don't break the grommet!  I have two blue ones that are as hard as a board and would surely shatter if I tried to remove them.

On the medium duty one, that fits the trend.  Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David - Excellent!  Fits the theory perfectly.  Now if we had an '82 door panel we might be able to nail it down as it should have the studs.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Recent one David found:

E1 but an insert - assumes package is correct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1980-1986-FORD-F100-F150-F250-F350-BRONCO-LH-DOOR-HANDLE-OPENING-TRIM-BOOT/392964586758?hash=item5b7e83bd06:g:MPwAAOSwIrNfdYDo

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I seriously doubt that is the right package.  Dad's truck, a 1981, has the studs and the black rubber piece that mounts from the back.  I'm willing to bet that's an E3TZ-D.

Unfortunately the matching ones I have don't have any numbers on them that would help us solve this, other than the "L" you can see in the pic above, and an "R" on the other one.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
This is not scientific [not NOS with identification], but is "claimed" to come from a 1982 F150. On the back of the panel, the seller found this identification: E2TB-1023890-BW. This has the boots. Unfortunately, one cannot see the back to see if the studs are present.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-86-Door-Trim-Panel-FORD-PICKUP-F150-RH-PASSENGER-USED-OEM/112929510997?epid=4018091760&hash=item1a4b1f9655:g:knYAAOSw2cVazP~q
Reply | Threaded
|

Jason2215
In reply to this post by kramttocs
My 84 has the grommet style you show in your last picture...if that helps any!
1984 Bronco XLT
351W HO/C6

Jason, Ocean Springs, MS
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Interesting.  I sent the seller this note:

Could you do me a favor and show me a pic of the back side of that door panel?  I'm not interested in buying it, but I am doing research (http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Door-Panels-amp-Interior-Handle-Boots-td78520.html#a78542) and your door panel would help us answer a question.  Specifically if there are studs on the back side where the door handle pokes through.

Thanks,
Gary

Note here that what I think is the grommet, an E3, is the replacement for the E0 boot.  So it is possible that the panel has the studs and someone replaced the boot with a grommet.  Or maybe 1982 was a transition year?

And here's the panel on ebay:

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
86 no studs, press in type boots that I'd like to replace.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, John.  That, too, fits the theory.

And I got this back from the guy who has the '82 black door panel that David found: "This panel is in my off site storage warehouse, next time they go pickup parts I'll have them photo it."

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Well, guess I'll be the one with the 1982 panels. I pulled the entire interior for my brown truck from a 1982 F250. I know for 100% fact that those door panels had the grommet style boots. I also know that the truck was a later 1982 as it had the splined shift knobs, however I don't know the exact build date. So like most other things, these were most likely a mid-year or late change in 1982.

*EDIT* Those door panels look soooooo good. I want them back.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Those do look really good. I didn't realize the pad above the armrest was still around in 82. For some reason I was thinking it was only an 80 year thing.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Do you know if the panels had the studs?  I'm wondering if they changed over to the grommets in '82 but if maybe the panels still had the studs.  Or if some of the panels did.

And, like Scott, I didn't know the pad was still used in '82.  Interesting.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
There were no studs, just a grommet.

The upper pad was not available after 1980, I added the woodgrain trim and the 1980-only upper pad after I found them in a Ranger Lariat at the local junkyard. Those are the aluminum version woodgrain panels. These pictures were taken before I converted the door panels to slide locks (Yea, I was crazy back then).

The door panels themselves were XL trim, so they only had the chrome trim when I picked them up, shown below.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting, Shaun.  So the '82 panels, at least the ones you have, don't have studs.  But, according to the MPC all of the '82 door panels had an E1 prefix.  But Dad's 1981 door panels have studs.  

EDIT: Wait!  There are two whole rows of panels that don't have part numbers, just the black star that says they were all discontinued.  So, is it possible those had an E2 prefix and didn't have the studs?