Door Panels & Interior Handle Boots

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
60 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Door Panels & Interior Handle Boots

salans7
Wish I still had those panels to document with. But as mentioned they were from a late 1982.

As we've discovered before, things were omitted in the parts catalogs, like the 1980-only shift boots.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I am near the 82 F250 this evening so checked and it's the same as Shaun's.

Build date: 4/82

Inserts, no studs.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
But, what kind of door panels, Scott?  IOW, the MPC says that w/o woodgrain and w/o bright moulding is a 1981 part.  But with bright moulding or with woodgrain the part number isn't shown.  So I'm wondering if those with bright moulding or woodgrain was the new style w/o studs.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Oh, I think you're onto it. These have the woodgrain panels (manual windows). Pretty sure they have the bright moulding but didn't really notice. Will try and remember to check tomorrow just so we have the data.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  I'm not saying that the MPC is correct, but I think it gives us hints on how things may have happened.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
If there are woodgrain panels, then there are bright moldings too. Bright moldings came standard on all 80-81 Ranger/XLT/Lariat and 82+ XL/XLT/Lariat trucks. Woodgrain panels only came on Ranger Lariat, and then XLT and XLT Lariat after 82. (Unsure of the bright moldings on Explorer package trucks)

So if we're looking for studs in 1982, we need to be looking at "Standard" trim trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good points, Shaun.  That makes it easier.

Edit: I plan on climbing the Microfiche Tower today and checking my 1982 MPC set to see what the part numbers are for the door panels that just have the star.  May tell us something.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll analyze this later, but here are the original part numbers and it looks like there were 1982 parts being introduced amoungst the 1980 and '81 parts during 1982.  Will try to update the MPC later and then update the page on door panels from that.

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Gary.  i still have brutus's original door panels somewhere.  As i recall i dont remember seeing any studs on the back side of the panel.  but if i can find them i will be happy to take a pic for you.  they are the exact same panels as the ones the guy on ebay has.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by salans7
Gary, by the way, would you be interested in the door pockets from the 88 parts truck, they are the same as Brutus, but red
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
George - Thanks, but I think we'll stay with the '85/86 door pockets that we already have.  They are in good shape.  (Now, if the 6x9 speaker thing had worked out that might have been a different story as I'd disable the mid & tweeter and use it as a sub.)

As for checking the other door panels, please do.  We might as well get as much info on this as possible.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
On eBay, there are some green panels, which appear to be from a 1982 [E2TB-1023890-BW] and have no studs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRUCK-F-150-250-350-MANUAL-DOOR-PANELS-GREEN-OEM-1980-1986/154197328179?hash=item23e6e08133:g:mhkAAOSww6lfsnYw
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  Thanks, David.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
Gary, by the way, would you be interested in the door pockets from the 88 parts truck, they are the same as Brutus, but red
George, what do those 88 door pockets look like and do you know if they would swap right in to an 86 without drilling holes?

I have my OEM still but the elastic is wore out in them and the pockets sag.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Dragging this thread back out.   Since I am going to have to replace door panels, wondering how to find these grommets/boots.   I'll be ordering Dennis Carpenter panels, since they supposedly fit the chrome trim best.   MY doors look like the grommets and I don't remember studs on the back.  The existing ones are awfully stiff - I figure they may break if I attempt to remove - would like to have new if possible.  

So can these be bought anywhere?  

Or maybe just slit a piece of inner tube to slide the door handle through?  How to attach that to back of door?  Leave it off completely?  

Is it possible to find the flat carpet panels anywhere?  I don't need or want map pockets really.  These are bound on the bottom and ends.  Driver side isn't too bad but passenger side is warpy/bent - not sure right word there. I don't have any good photos.

Photo of panel in my 81.  I have no idea if it's original or not.   Looks like the grommet

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you are ordering door panels you need to determine if they have the studs on the back.  If not it would be hard to hold the earlier boot on, or even a piece of inner tube rubber.  But I think you can use the grommet style on either door panel.

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
This post was updated on .
Where to find the grommets then?   I may be using wrong search term, but I'm finding nothing yet.   Still looking though.

This thread too.  https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1453585-door-grommets-2.html  If I'm allowed to post - can't remember

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Found these carpet panels:  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lnd-122104  Amazon has a couple in blue as well.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
I think you are looking for 10226A07 as the base #, and the prefix can probably be E2TZ through E6TZ, with the suffix determining the color.  But you can paint them, which is what I did, with SEM and it holds nicely.

Or maybe David has found some?  You might search the forum for that base part number or "door handle grommet".

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
I looked for those "door grommets" when I repainted my door panels but found nothing. Even newly purchased door panels don't seem to come with them.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner