Door Hinges

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Door Hinges

Gsmblue
Both my vehicles as per my signature have some door sag.

On the F150 I did replace the hinge pins last year and that made no bloody difference! I have messed around with the strikers (which are new and have good bushings) and have it as good as I can, but as the doors close they still lifts up as they "seat", as such it needs a good firm push to close or it won't close properly.

Is this a candidate for replacing the hinges? If so how hard is it? any advice?

The Bronco has not had the hinge pins replaced yet, but I am thinking about doing them as it is pretty cheap and not a bad first step, thoughts?

Thank you.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Door Hinges

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did you just replace the pins?  Usually you need to use something like this kit that comes with bushings as well as new pins.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Read this post (which I might also move here):
http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?6884-Door-Alignment
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - We have a section here (Interior/Doors) where I could add a page on hinge replacement.  But that seems counter-intuitive since I would have guessed that hinge pins are exterior, and your write-up gets into fender alignment.

So, perhaps the better thing to do would be to put up a new page for Doors in the Exterior section.  And on that page we could have various tabs, including one for alignment, which would be your write-up and pics.  But another might be a tab for hinge repair?  Perhaps Gsmblue could take pics and give us the words (in the Queen's English?  ) from when he does it?

Anyway, Steve, give me the word and I'll create a draft page.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary - That is the exact kit I used on the truck and so the bushings were replaced.

Steve - thank you for the links, I have never removed the fender before and I will admit I am a little nervous about doing it.  I will look through the info and then come back with my questions/concerns..

Thanks for the input chaps!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
When I replaced my pins and bushings I ended up aligning the door.

After doing that, if I do any hinges again, I may just buy the whole hinge.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Gsmblue - After you used the kit did you adjust the door?

Steve - I've sorta added your page here: Exterior/Doors and on the Alignment tab.  But, until you approve I've hidden it in the menu.

Also, it isn't a perfect replica as you have things in some of the captions I can't replicate.  And, I'm sure there are errors.  But see if that is a reasonable start.

Oh yes, I couldn't find that Rockon gif, so found something else as a placeholder.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
I'm just about to do a Hinge Pin replacement on all 4 Hinges in my 250, has this page been "approved"? so we can all see the tips and trick that Steve has for us?

Thanks,
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
I'm trying to get the nerve up to start messing with door and body panel alignment on my truck, I'll be interested to see how your work goes.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
I don't know that any of us have gone through Steve's instructions step-by-step to "approve" them, but Steve usually knew what he was talking about so I'd bet they are good.  Give them a shot and let us know, please.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What, the 404 error???
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I hadn't seen my link, which does go to a 404 error 'cause there is no Documentation/Exterior/Door page.  It apparently got merged into Documentation/Body/Door Hinges Checks & Weatherstrips?  

But I was talking about Steve's writeup here: http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?6884-Door-Alignment

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, I did see that write-up.

TBH, I'm not interested in completely disassembling my truck because the bushings are worn out.

I'll use a floor jack and a piece of 4x4 to support the door while I mess with hinges by trial and error.

Do you honestly think a body shop replacing a oilcanned door is going to pull the fender (and therefore the headlamp, grille, radiator support and hood... which all attach TO the fender) to get the door aligned?

..... I didn't think so.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That is, IF I have a door bottom to rest my door on the 4x4 with.

This will be another saga in Li'l Red's big adventures.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I know this older thread but...

Just got my truck.   Doors close smoothly.   Opening not as smooth.   Ands whatever limits the travel is non existent.   There is a little star wheel in there.  Should be some sort of pin that riedes against to give it "stops" right?  What do I need to look for in there?   I really need to have some time to look at truck.

Dang work and less than beautiful weather is slowing me down...

Randy
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There is a little metal spring tab that breaks off.
Dormant sells a replacement.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
From what I see, mine has the S shaped wire/rod that rides against the star wheel - like the Ford passenger cars of the era.   Not the flat spring piece.  I need to see if hte passenger door is same and what's in it.  

So many things that need to be done.  Not even sure where to start.   Fortunately, most of them are cosmetic and convenience items.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What year is your truck Randy?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
81.  See photos.  Drivers side looks like upside down version of pass side which does have the S part.

Also note striker...WTH???   I think that is a duct tape wrap.   And the weatherstripping is completely ineffectual.   Another project.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You don't have a signature with truck info and this thread didn't start about an '81.  

You call replace the strikers with later style ones that have replaceable  plastic bushings
But if your door is sagging that bad and the holdopens are shot, I'd probably just replace the whole hinge.
 Jim,