Door Hinges

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Door Hinges

rcarlisle
Ok.  I'm still learning on how the forums work here and found it through a search of terms unrelated to year.   When I search for 81 Hinges, the kind with the spring plate show up so it's definitely confusing.   Apparently the hinges and parts on mine are obsolete, except for what can be found on the net.   Ebay has 5 of the S parts available from one seller.  I may get one of those.  

As for the sag, being I just got it this morning and have very limited time with it, not sure what actually shot and what has been done by backyard mechanics.   The running gear was done by a local reputable garage, so I'm trusting on that til proven otherwise.  

Thanks for the help.  Let's see if the signature works...
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Randy, I didn't mean to come off as critical or chastising.  
I just dig into questions here.

I have no early Bullnose to confirm, but if the pins & bushings are shot. As well as the holdover springs, you're probably time and $$$$ ahead to replace them.

But the strikers seem to retrofit from later model trucks (without the enclosed bail)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
No worries.  I'm learning about this truck and the whole bullnose thing.  

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 8:36 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Randy, I didn't mean to come off as critical or chastising.

I have no early Bullnose to confirm, but if the pins & bushings are shot. As well as the holdover springs
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Door-Hinges-tp23561p91536.html
To unsubscribe from Door Hinges, click here.
NAML
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Randy, with the door fully opened try lifting on the exterior handle.
That will give you a better idea of how much slop is in the pins and bushings.

All the hinges I see available say '80-'96 fitment.
Amazon seems to have pairs for just over $40 a side:   https://www.amazon.com/ECOTRIC-Hinge-1980-1996-Bronco-Ranger/dp/B07QRWX2W2/ref=pd_lpo_263_t_0/134-8968951-2387649?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07QRWX2W2&pd_rd_r=87f16785-8aa4-45e2-a3f2-1208579ff2b9&pd_rd_w=Jop53&pd_rd_wg=iMdZc&pf_rd_p=2eae1586-a44a-4b21-997a-1dfc1740e496&pf_rd_r=34XS8F8ZA1EXD3DV7F3B&psc=1&refRID=34XS8F8ZA1EXD3DV7F3B
The lowers are universal but the uppers are handed.

LMC offers rollers, springs, pins and bushings separately:  https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/fd-1980-96-door-components

I know exactly the S shaped spring you say yours have, but current hinges use a plastic roller that rides over a spring tab that is backed with a rubber cushion.
You see that in the product views of that link.

Pins and bushings are a cheap fix if you have a floor jack high enough, a little cut off tool or die grinder and a proper set of drill bits to get the old bronze bushings out.
But, if the springs are gone too, it seems better to just replace the hinge.

This can get fiddly, trying to properly adjust the hinges.
But I'm not a body man with tons of experience.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I'll give all that a look soon.   The list of things that need addressing is a bit overwhelming right this moment.  And I really need to keep the truck running and working while I do stuff, so am trying to select the projects carefully to keep it rolling.   Those may be fairly soon.   Going to have to have weatherstripping pretty quick.  What's there apparently does nothing - it's some sort of white storm door stripping, lol.  

Thanks for the tips, though.   And yes hinges aren't that much more than pins and *might* be easier.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh, they're considerably more than a pin & bushing kit.
Dormant is ~$75, and the dealer was $90+ last time I checked.

But if the springs are shot too why not just start fresh instead of screwing around with garbage?

I would do the hinges and strikers first.
Replacing the weather seals with the doors not hanging right is kinda pointless.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Doing the pins and bushings on my truck was a royal pain. Afterwards I realized the springs were shot.

In hindsight I would have been better off replacing the hinges, even though that is on the surface a bigger job I think the real pain is in removing the fender, the painting of the new hinges and finally the alignment.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can be sure the body shop has an obstruction wrench to change out those hinges without removing the fenders!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Randy, with the door fully opened try lifting on the exterior handle.
That will give you a better idea of how much slop is in the pins and bushings.
Did this this evening. Lifting on door handle with door open lifted whole side of truck.  No detectable slop.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well then I'd say just replace the strikers with later style ones, and check for how the door closed.

I've never seen someone attempt to fix one with duct tape

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Are the later ones the ones with the loop?  That's what's on it.  Or is that the early version?  

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021, 12:34 AM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well then I'd say just replace the strikers with later style ones, and check for how the door closed.

I've never seen someone attempt to fix one with duct tape

Jim,

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Door-Hinges-tp23561p91665.html
To unsubscribe from Door Hinges, click here.
NAML
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The later strikers have a striker bolt that is not permanently captured by the metal bail.
If you can get the bolt out, you can replace the plastic sleeve down the road.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Ok, thanks.   I'll get to that one.   Got to stop spending for a couple weeks and wait for and install parts I have ordered.   So many things...  thanks for the help.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, a newbie that hasn't seen my analogy!

These truck are like onions.  We keep peeling and crying, peeling and crying.  But eventually we have enough onion rings to have a Bloomin' Onion!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
In reply to this post by Dorsai
My door alignment went pretty well for a first timer, somewhat under the gun and outside. I didn't many helpful pictures, but It was easier than I though that it would be to remove the fenders. so much so I would consider it I was to do and engine or head work, it provides so much more accessibility.
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it went so well.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI