575 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dad's Truck Build

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today was a good day.  Several steps forward and none back.

First, I broke the driver's side ball joints loose and went through the tightening procedure from the shop manual.  And it worked.

Next, I slipped the powder-coated brake shields on the knuckles and secured them with a nut each.  I also looked up the nuts to secure the spindles to the knuckles and cleaned them in prep for media blasting and then powder coating.  (And I also found two windshield trim pieces off of Huck and put them aside for media blasting and powder coating.  )

Then it was time to take the ball joint tool back to O'Reilly's.  But before I went I pressed the studs out of the hub/rotor combo's and took the rotors with me to have them turned.  They'll be ready tomorrow so I'll pick them up then - before the ice and/or snow hits.

And, while I was at O'Reilly's I picked up some Ultra Black so I could install the D44 in front.  (More of which in a mo.)  But, as I attempted to leave in Big Blue the starter relay didn't pull in.  Read how I fixed it in WHYDTYTT.

Ok, so back home and I cleaned the gasket surface on the D44, applied the Ultra Black to the diff, added two locating studs, slipped the gasket on and pressed it into the goo, and then applied more goo to the face of the gasket.  And then the fun began.  I carried it to the truck, intending to lift it to eye-level and slip it into the back of the left axle.  But, somewhere along the way I got old, and that chunk wasn't coming up to eye level.  

Ultimately I rolled a chair under the truck, dropped the truck as low as I could get it and still sit under it, and then was able to pick the chunk up and get it in there.  

The bolts are now snugged up and tomorrow I'll torque them down.  And, I also hope to media blast the hubs, spindle nuts, and the center of the locking hubs and powder coat them.  The hub and nuts will be black, but I'm planning on coating the center of the Mile Marker locking hubs in red so they look like the original Warn red plastic units.

Oh yes, I also ordered new Timken bearings and seals for the front.  I got to looking at the bearings that were in there and while they looked good, they were not the originals.  In fact, there were at least three brands of parts in four bearings, and several of them said "China".  So I decided it was time for new ones.

As said, it was a good day.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That Ultra Black is heavy!

Looks good!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it certainly is!

Thanks!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
You are making mine look like I am just throwing it together with out cleaning or painting anything.
Keep doing that
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If I do another anything, I'll do it your way.  This way takes WAAAAAAAAY too LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Nice progress Gary! That chunk is a heavy turd, and terribly awkward.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Your truck looks wonderful!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.  It feels good to be getting things done.  And, at this point the suspension is DONE!  Now we are into the front driveline, with the D44 being the first piece.

But no one mentioned my plan to PC the hub center red.  Was that because you missed it?  Or don't like it and didn't want to hurt my feelings?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I think the red centers is a great idea Gary. My crew cab still has the original hubs, but they are very ashy by now, almost hard to tell they were ever red. The hubs on my ‘81 are aftermarket. They look good (not weathered) but I prefer the more original look. If you can make them original looking + durable that would be a nice win!

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  These are Mile Marker aftermarkets.  Chrome or stainless outer, and a brass inner.  So PC'ing the inner red would make them look close to original, and with the red center on the rear aluminum wheels it'll come close to matching.

Here's kinda what I'm thinking:

But, the original ones were all red - right?  Would it be better to make the whole center red?  It would be easier to PC it that way.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Why take the easy way now
I like the red centers and if the brass was polished they would look sweet.
Black in the center of the M M?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Okay, that is a little different tan I imagined. The mile markers don’t really lend themselves to the original theme because the cross bar is connected to a ring that rotates when you lock the hubs. The originals don’t have that, and it would look different (odd?) if that were red also. The originals you pretty much just see the red cross bar. The red background behind it is subtle.

Given the different shape of the mile markers, I think I like your idea of making them look like the rear center caps. It is attractive and gives some consistency. That would be my vote, if it’s not too hard to pull off

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator

Forgot to add this pic for comparison...

(Maybe it’s a phone thing, but I can’t edit a post and add a picture. The text box crashes when I double tap the photo icon and I go back to the forum home page)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ok guys, I'm headed out to a dental appointment, but will re-read your posts more closely when I get home - hopefully before the snow and/or ice hits.

Anyway, for your consideration, we do have an option.  Both Dad's truck and Big Blue had D44's, so the hubs should swap - right?.  So, Mile Markers or Warns?  And then, what polishing/powder treatment?

Lots of options, including polished brass with red in the recess and/or lettering.  Red in the recess and black lettering.  All with a clear coat of powder.  Black over the brass with red in the recesses.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary,

I like red, and I like your idea to make them consistent with the rear centers.

The F-250 has a D44 HD.
Iirc when I got my Warn* premiums from Amazon in 2015 they were different from the regular D44 lockouts.

Maybe you should look into that before you jump.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Just looking at the pic of the two, I’d say the Warns are bigger than the MM’s. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ahhh, mine ARE Warns.
I have to go back and edit that.  

I think it's probably the axle stub that differs.
But I will look at my purchase history to try and get an item number.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Just had a look at Warn website.
The 20990 kit fits all Ford 1/2 ton from '59-'96.

I think what had me confused was the additional nut kit (#32720) required.

You should be ok unless Vernon installed a D50 axle that only came stock on 250's with extended cabs or plow packages.
Those hub spindles have no taper, just like the D60 found on an F-350.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Compatibility aside, I like the look of the mile marker hubs slightly better. I would vote to PC the recesses red, and make the lettering black. I like the “antique” brass look that it has now, but I don’t see how you can preserve that while prepping for PC.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I measured and the OD of the cap is the same.  The Big Blue's hubs are larger in OD, but apparently not in ID.  And the gaskets that Vernon had fit the D40 on Dad's truck perfectly, so I think they would interchange.

Jonathan - I think I'm with you, the MM's get the nod.  And I agree that preserving the antique brass look is going to be hard.  But they would eventually turn to that if I didn't put a clear-coat over them.

All - How would they look PC'd black with the recesses red?

1 ... 3456789 ... 29