DS I vs DS II conversion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DS I vs DS II conversion

66gtk
I sent an email to Bill, but not sure if he will get it.  Perhaps some of you may be able to help me with this.

I'm about to start my DSII conversion on my CA 83 F150 (302, AT) that is still equipped with all the factory EECIII components.

I'm not a mechanic or an electrical engineer, so this isn't easy for me to digest, but I've been doing a lot of reading on DSII conversions from EEC-IV, and not much info going from EECIII.  One thing I read is that the ignition sequence goes through the EEC-III computer so I'm wondering how to account for that when I remove the computer and if my factory wiring harness will still work at all??

I have already purchased a proper carb, DSII distributor, DSII ignition module and the harness from the DSII module.  The harness is complete to the coil, which I plan to reuse from my existing setup.  The other side of the harness is cut, but I have the plug in/terminal ends complete to the ignition module.

I am wondering if there is a simple to read diagram (maybe even hand drawn) available that will help me figure out how to wire this into the ignition circuit??

Thank you so much!
Troy
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I got it and replied, I will get you some more information, part of the problem is my AllData doesn't really cover much earlier than 1984 in detail. If Gary can dig up distributor numbers for non-EEC 302 engines that will give a good starting point.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Here are the donor parts I was given from a T bird

'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary is out and about to see Ford vs Ferrari, so can’t look anything up until tonight. But it looks like all the parts are there and, if a T-Bird harness will work, it should be plug and play.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 66gtk
Have a look at this simple overview and see what questions you have.

http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/jonknapek/fordv8/duraspark.html
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by 66gtk
Perhaps this can help you:

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.