Curb Weight of a 1979 F350?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Curb Weight of a 1979 F350?

ratdude747
I know this isn't a Bullnose, but hopefully somebody here knows something.

Some extended inlaws in Kansas are selling an old "ran when parked, sat for 10 years" 1979 F350. RWD, 460, Crew cab.

While I'm pretty sure my 7000lb car hauler could handle it (with fresh tires; it's curb weight is supposedly 1700lb), I'm not so sure my Bullnose would do it. Heck, my hitch is only good for 5000... this was mulled over in a prior thread

Not saying I'm buying the truck... the asked me for pricing info since some loser lowballed them for scrap value. I gave them my best guess and they marked it up accordingly as a "hope to get"... not to mention it's a good 10+ hours away from me (at normal interstate speeds, not slowed down hauling a truck!). But, I'd like to know what my options are here.  

Note: this is not to imply I don't like my bullnose! I'm not in the market for another truck, but many of my projects seem to find me when I'm not in the market!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Curb Weight of a 1979 F350?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill/85lebaront2 said this: "Darth is a 2WD crew cab DRW truck and empty weight on a certified scale a couple of years ago was 6400 lbs."

And the '79 is probably a bit heavier, although maybe not if it is SRW instead of DRW.  On the other hand, Scott/Welderscott has had his '78 F150 over several times and his tie rods are the equivalent of Big Blue's tie rods.  In other words, the '79 and earlier trucks were heavier built than the '80 and later trucks, so have to weigh more.

When you subtract the 1700 from 7000 you get 5300, and that means you'd be 15 - 20% overloaded on the trailer.  But there is also the question of length.  The Bullnose crewcabs have a wheelbase of 168.4", so I assume the '79 does as well.  Can your trailer handle that?

As for your truck, here's a page from the '85 owner's manual on towing.  See the note about an F150 w/a 4.9L and AOD requiring the trailer towing package for towing even 2000 lbs.  

Does your trailer have brakes?  Does your truck have a brake controller?

Bottom Line: Your trailer and your truck are not spec'd to do it.  Can it be done?  Probably.  Will you have problems?  Maybe.  But you would be past the limits all the way around.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by ratdude747
What about renting a truck from U Haul? Or a truck and auto trailer.

Although they probably won’t want to rent you an auto trailer for that big and heavy of a vehicle.

Your trailer and a rented truck might be ok.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The truck is not a dualie... forgot to clarify. LONG wheelbase though.... although the rails are low enough on the trailer that the back of the bed could overhang a bit.

Per the linked thread I have a 5000lb rated (Class III) hitch and a Primus IQ progressive brake controller.  Installed before I bought the trailer.

Pic of my trailer:

Yikes indeed on the suspected weight. I knew the gen 6 ones were heavier but not that much heavier! Then again it is a 350... Duh.

My brother in law has a class 4 truck (1950's Chevy flatbed) he needs moved out of KS as well (inherited from his grandpa, still on grandma's farm) so we've joked about going halfsies on a flatbed semi trip. In addition, my father in law has a 2012 F150 with a higher rating (and a class IV hitch?) and a wider (and longer?) trailer... he sold me his old trailer when he upgraded to the current one. Finally, what about a tow dolly? Do ones with brakes exist? The truck has a flat tire but assuming that could be aired up, All I'd need to do would would be disconnecting the driveshaft and wiring it out of the way?

Honestly as nice as the truck is my toy budget is negative.

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd get my FiL involved.  His 2012 F150 will be a lot like Blue and have much more capability than your truck.  And his new trailer would be what you need.

As for towing the truck, I wouldn't.  You don't know what shape the brakes or wheel bearings are in, and you could easily have a problem and be stuck on the side of the road.  In my experience vehicles that have sat for a long time have lots of problems, including stuck brakes and bad wheel bearings.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Plus I would not trust tires that have been sitting for 10 years. They could suddenly have separated belts and blow out suddenly.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Frank Wyatt wrote
Plus I would not trust tires that have been sitting for 10 years. They could suddenly have separated belts and blow out suddenly.
Amen!  Especially those which have been sitting D-shaped.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
My 78 F250 4x4 with dana 60's weighs in right at 6000lbs. But it is a Flareside bed that is lighter than a styleside. Being a 4x4 VS a 2WD the 4x4 parts might make it a wash on the weight though.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bruce - Your truck is a regular cab, right?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Yes, correct.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Update (or really a statement of "no update"):

My FIL is being less than immediatly helpful. A whole bunch of guilt trippy "I'm conflicted. Care for my daugheter means you should [help RD and his wife with some major house upgrades- Working HVAC). Care for you means find a way to get that truck back here".

He then tried to convince me that my truck and trailer could do it... based on advice his dad gave him 30-40 years ago. I'm not convinced... sure, adding a tranny cooler would help with one aspect... but if my hitch and trailer aren't up to snuff, it's DOA.

Not wanting to turn this thread into personal problem whinefest... but ugh why???

I'm not writing this one off... but it's in God's hands at this point. I have no card to play.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the truck has been sitting there for 10 years it isn’t likely to move tomorrow. I think I’d let things sit a bit and see what happens, but make sure your family knows you are interested in the truck.

As for your truck and trailer doing it, I think it is possible. But I don’t think it has a high probability of doing it without problems.

First, will the truck even fit on your trailer due to the wheelbase?  Second, we know the trailer will be overloaded. And the front axle is going to be the most overloaded since you need ~10% of the weight on the tongue.

Speaking of that, what will your truck think of 800 lbs of weight on the trailer hitch?  I think it’ll squat badly.  And that hitch isn’t rated for that either.

And then there’s the tranny. The AOD isn’t a heavy duty tranny. It was usually only used behind the 302, which doesn’t have a lot of torque. You have it behind a 300, which does have torque, and you’ll be using a whole lot of that torque moving that 8000 lb load. Will the tranny make it?  I don’t know, but you won’t be doing it any favors.

Do I sound negative?  Good!  That’s my intention. I don’t think it is a good idea as it isn’t safe and you have a good chance of tearing something expensive up.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ratdude747
BTW know most states DOT, if not all state you need trailer brakes on anything over 3,000 lbs and some are at 2,500 lbs.
Is the truck & trailer set up for brakes?
That may be your out, look up your state(s) law on that and if the truck is to big Uhaul will not rent you a transport trailer.

I dont know how the 2 wheel dollies Uhaul has work for loads or if the truck will fit on one?
Dont know if they have brakes or not?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Sure is. Rear axle has brakes (to which I added a breakaway battery when I bought the trailer as part of a full rewiring). Truck has a Primus IQ progressive controller.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Sorry for the long Hi-jack.

I just re read your first post. Saw it was a crew cab. My cousin bought a truck just like it, 460 crew, it was in good shape, no rust and a one family type deal. Running and driving. He put it on ebay and was getting offers of over 15,000$. He ended up taking it off and working another deal with a person that wanted it terrible. My cousin is doing a frame off on a 78 F250 with the dana 60's like mine. My cousin had it all apart and everything bought new and ready to go back together, frame powder coated etc. . But he was worried he could not put it together as he has not had a lot of dealinigs with that year truck. The person that wants the crew, rebuilds those years of Fords. He is going to put the rolling chasis back together with everything done other than mounting the body and bring it back to my cousin. Then give him 15,000$ for the crew and haul it home.

So I would get the crew however I had to do it. You didn't say how far it has to travel. Maybe some of use can help.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
No worries on the hijack. the original topic is dead (I had to haul my scrap with the trailer today due to someone whining to the city about it ; yep, no way in heck I'm hauling another truck with it!).

But, let's talk about that truck and my current situation. Warning: this gets slightly personal!

It's at my cousins-in-law's house in Junction City, KS.

The short form of the story is they contacted me through Facebook asking for a rough pricing. Based on Haggerty's estimate ($5000 fair) I told them "at least $1000" due to the "ran when parked 10 years ago, may have rodent damage to wiring" condition. Some loser offered them $500 on a cold call... Hence why they asked. The asking price is higher but that was based on my estimate (their decision, not mine).

They do know I'm interested...  but may be logistically skewered. I also don't have $2500 I'd feel ok spending ($1000 is pushing it, but prime opportunities can justify flexing the budget #).

Complicating matters is a father-in-law who is trying to be supportive but at the same time (unintentionally?) Guilt tripping me: "I'm conflicted. Caring for you means seeing what I can do to bring the truck back here. Caring for [my wife/his daughter] means [helping upgrade my dead central A/C to a heat pump]." Other than switching the subject, how in the heck am I supposed to reply to that?  That said he almost seems to think that truck ought to be mine... I guess I'm the old Ford guy in the family now?

One final note: my brother-in-law's inherited class 4 Chevy farm truck is all the way out in Quinter, KS (the family home/farm where said father-in-law grew up). Talk about heavy trucks!
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Had a brief chat. Told them if no interest locally I will find a way to get it to Indiana... Even if (assuming I get one) I burn my entire December bonus check on having it delivered somewhere and getting it to my/my FIW's house.

Also it has an auto tranny... Presumably a C6?

After this week's fun with hauling scrap with my bullnose and my car trailer, if I want to move anything more than a light sedan with it, I'll need a bigger truck. If it works out, I think this 79 would solve that problem. Of course the bullnose stays... After all the support I got for rebuilding it after the deer incident, it's a proven keeper!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it’ll be a C6. And an F350 crew cab may have 4.10 gears. But even it they are 3.55’s it’ll pull about anything - from one gas station to the next one. 😉

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Yeah.

According to the scrapyard I was at 6700lb going in and 6000 heading out (only 3000lb extra capacity on the trailer?)... and that was, um, "noticeable". Nowhere near the 9000 I supposedly have. AFAIK I don't have brakes sticking on the trailer... so just that much added weight and rolling resistance I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let’s see, 6700 lbs going in and 6000 going out, so you had a 700 lb load on the trailer. And since the trailer weighs 1700 lbs the truck must weigh 4300 lbs. Right?

And you “noticed” the ~10% change?  I think you’ve proven that you shouldn’t be pulling that crew cab, which is ~10 times heavier than today’s load.

Doing some math, 4300 + 6400 + 1700 = 12,400. That’s more than what Big Blue is rated for, although I wouldn’t worry about doing it. But that’s not the kind of thing you’d want to do with a light F150 w/a 300 and AOD. That’s the kind of load a crew cab w/a 460 would be good for. 😉