Clutch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clutch

Ol whitey
Hello, I have a 1981 f-250 custom 4.9 four speed 4WD. The timing cover cracked so I replaced it and followed a YouTube video and where the gasket was supposed to go into the oil pan I just cut it off. And didn’t get enough permatex in the corners so it leaked, ended up pulling the pan off, but to get it all the way off had to remove transmission and transfer case. Installed a new clutch and it’s all back together, but now the clutch pedal just  falls to the floor. There is no slave cylinder just a block below the master with lines going to front brakes and master. Can anyone give me some guidance?  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clutch

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Glad you joined.  

However, you probably missed my email asking you to go to the New Member Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an introduction there before posting elsewhere.  That's frequently done, but we ask that because we hold everyone to those guidelines and they are posted in that folder, so that gives you the best chance to read them.

But after you post your intro I'll bet we can help with the clutch.  In fact I'll give you a hint - in '81 the clutches weren't hydraulic.  Instead they were mechanical.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey
Thank you so much. I knew I came to the right place. I’ll get my intro done.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Ol whitey
Welcome to the forum

I know 1 of the admiins well ask you to got to the new members area and read the rules.
Start a post there to intro your self, your truck and maybe where you are from and if you want to be added to the members map.

Now being you have a 81 you should have clutch linkage.
From the pedal there should be a long rod that goes thru the floor and hooks to the clutch Zbar, it runs from the frame to the motor.
Then you have a short adjusting rod from the Zbar to the clutch fork.

There are also bushings that go bad the 2 biggest are at either end of the Zbar.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hopefully I got the intro right. Looking forward to getting started.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I do believe you're looking at the brake proportioning valve/safety switch.

Dave recently had issue with the Z-bar pivot in his Flareside so he'll be able to answer your questions.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, you did good on the intro.  

How 'bout posting some pics of the clutch linkage?  That might help us figure out what the problem is.

Go to Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's to see how to post pics.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Jim
I gave a little run down on the linkage but if he starts at the pedal and follows it to the fork and all the bushings and no broken pivots (motor side) then the issue has to be inside the bell housing.

If the plastic bushings were missing on the Zbar I think it would still work but just not have the needed pedal travel.
I can tell you without the block side pivot nothing will work

BTW you want to make sure you treat that block pivot with kit gloves as you can not get then any more.
Last one I seen on Ebay, think a year ago, was $70 IIRC or was it more?
It was to much to get as a spare.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Thanks Dave.  

It seems to me that if he installed a new clutch and has "the pedal drop to the floor" it is more likely a release* fork that is not refit properly to either the throwout bearing or the mushroom pivot in the bell housing.

But it's hard for me to say without seeing it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Thanks Dave.  

It seems to me that if he installed a new clutch and has "the pedal drop to the floor" it is more likely a shift fork that is not refit properly to either the throwout or the mushroom pivot in the bell housing.

But it's hard for me to say without seeing it.
Same here not being able to see it
Hope it is a rod that fell off and he dose not have to pull the transmission again
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey
Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey
Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey
From what I can tell everything seems good on the outside. I can try to get better photos when I get it pushed into the garage. Trying to get everything buttoned up before the snow starts to fly around here. I’m pretty sure it’s in the bell housing so looks like I’ll do it again. Was tough the last time because I couldn’t get the transfer case separated, so had to do them at the same time. Hope that doesn’t happen again. Thanks again for the information. In the information, it has been a BIG help. Seems like the chiltons manual lacks some information. Did they used to have more information in them? Seems condensed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm with Jim.  I'll bet the release lever hasn't captured the shift fork.  Been there, done that.  And the fix is fairly easy w/o taking the tranny out.

But let's see some pics and then we can advise you.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I probably should have said that the release* fork hasn't fit the collar of the throwout bearing, or the bearing itself is wrong way around, or that the fork isn't clipped onto the mushroom pivot ball (in the back of the bell housing)

"shift fork" makes me think of parts internal to the gearbox. So I'm using the wrong term and have edited my post above.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And my terminology was wonky as well.  Glad you caught that.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey
Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey
Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey
Hello, this weekend was the first chance I’ve had time to work on it, could the boot be the reason that I was having problems?  The bearing has a set of clips that attach to the fork so I’m pretty sure it is installed correct. Hard to get photos
Reply | Threaded
|

Ol whitey