classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Camping Gear Needs for Big Blue's Overlanding Trip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My son and I think we are finally going to get to take our first overlanding trip in January or February.  So I'm now thinking about what camping gear we need in order to do this well.

I don't want a repeat of the first camping trip Janey and I took with our brand new 1972 F250 and 9 1/2' self-contained camper - we forgot a can opener and dinner was in a can. I'm pretty sure dinner won't be in a can with my son as he's quite the cook, but I do want to think through what will be needed, and want the help of y'all.

We have a tent, sleeping bags, pads, cook stove, ice chest, flashlights, headlamps, string lights, camp chairs, and an awning in case of bad weather.  Plus my son will ID all of the cooking gear we will need as that's his forte.  But here are some of the things I know we need, and if any of you have recommendations on them or ideas of other things we need please chime in:

Table: We need a table to hold the Coleman propane stove, food prep, etc

Lantern: At least one, if not two, rechargeable lanterns.

Water Container: We need something to hold water for drinking, food prep, dish washing, face washing, etc.  But that may be a bit of a problem in Jan or Feb as it'll probably be below freezing so the container will have to be amenable to that.

Plates, utensils, cups, etc: And we will need these things, but can probably make do with ones from our kitchen.  However, if there are suggestions...

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Camping Gear Needs for Big Blue's Overlanding Trip

grumpin
Are you staying in a campground or in the boonies?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Boonies, we think.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
A portable toilet.

I think that because I can’t go dig a hole in the woods anymore.

I use the Double Doodie bags. You can get a seat for a 5 gallon bucket.

https://relianceoutdoors.com/collections/top-sellers
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good idea, Dane.  I saved a brand new chemical toilet from the boat we sold but my son doesn't want to take it, suggesting we dig a hole.  But I'd rather sit down to do my business.

This page at Reliance has the bags awa several toilet options.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I know they make a toilet seat that slips into a receiver hitch, the Bumper Dumper.  🤔
I usually end up leaned back against a tree so my heels are out of the 'drop zone'.

For camping I like those melamine plates and bowls that were so ubiquitous in the '70's. Easy to clean, fairly heat resistant and near indestructible.
Cheap  stainless real flatware, and a Mora knife (basic 4", stainless blade, plastic handle and sheath) something like these.
Stainless insulated tumblers or mugs.

Or maybe a whole set like this....?  28PCS Wheat Straw Dinnerware Sets Stainless Steel Cutlery Adult Set / 4 Large Plates, Bowls, Cups (16oz), 4 Stainless Steel Cutlery Sets / Reusable Reusable, Microwave & Dishwasher Safe https://a.co/d/885MHcL

I try to keep it basic and limit myself to the dollar store or big box.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.  Janey has some plates she says I can take, so we may be able to piece something together that way.  But we will need cooking utensils, pots, etc.  Hmmm, guess I'd better make a list.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Bumper dumper! That’s great!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Our local Menard's (big box hardware store) has folding tables with 3 height position legs in 4, 6 & 8 ft lengths. We use one with our camper.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I thought your son was in charge of all the cooking gear?

I will say that I have a plastic 6' folding table I keep in the bed of my truck.
I use it on the job as a workbench, saw stand, horses... It's very versatile. I think I got mine at Walmart.

Keeping water from freezing is going to be an issue (depending on where you go)
For bulk water storage Spectre has poly Jerry cans, 50l I think. But one of those cube shaped containers with a handle and spout is very useful set on the tailgate so you can fill a pot or rinse your hands.

If you want a pot, pan, kettle or utensils just go to an estate sale or a church thrift shop.
They don't need to be fancy or new. Old stuff is much higher quality.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Whisler - We don't have many Menards around here, but did in Chicago so I'm familiar with them.  But we do have some places around there that should have adequate tables.  I'm thinking a 4' one would be adequate.

Jim - Yes, my son is in charge of anything to do with cooking.  But, if I can come up with a slick setup I'll propose it to him.  And, as I think about it, he's particular enough that I'd better enlist him on getting the right pots and pans.  

I was thinking that one of those cube water containers might be the way to go.  I think some of them I've seen have been flexible enough that they'd not break if the water freezes, and it is pretty sure to do so.  I'm wondering about these WaterStorageCube Premium Collapsible Water Container Bags.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't know about collapsible bags.
I have a couple of Platypus bags but I won't use them for transport.

If I was setting up camp I'd definitely want something with a push-to-pour or over-center tap.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
We use collapsible bags but not that kind, I have a 30 gallon AquaTank bladder that I use with a transfer pump to keep our fifth wheel "fed and watered" when camping on BLM land. But that's overkill for your needs. When I'm using the truck camper I use 5-gallon jugs and a small electric pump like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Dispenser-Electric-Drinking-Portable-Universal/dp/B07Y4D3P1J

They're OK. They last awhile on a charge and make it easy to both fill bottles and rinse dishes. Personally I think they're more convenient than the old-school blue bottles with white twist-style valves and it's really easy to get a 5 gallon bottle refilled or replaced at any Walmart or most grocery stores. 5 gallon bottles don't freeze quickly in moderate temps (26-28 overnight, sunny during the day) and they're easy to take inside or put in the trunk for more protection.

For a table I'm a fan of the folding aluminum ones, you can search "aluminum camping table" on Amazon and pick your poison (size/brand). They pack small, set up fast, are easy to clean, and can take the heat of a cooking stove (or pan). Get one big enough where your stove AND its bottle fit on it - that's a common mistake to avoid. The bottle usually makes a camp stove about 10" wider than its normal storage footprint and it can't hang off the table.

I'm a big fan of Morakniv knives for camping. The cheapest ones are like $12 on Amazon and work very well, and they come with a plastic sheath that unlike other kitchen knives does NOT tightly hug the blade. That means you can put a knife away a bit dirty and wash it later if you're in a rush (or not a great spot to do dishes) and it won't ruin the sheath. And they're beefier than normal knives so they can do double duty cutting paracord, shaving kindling, etc.

I'm a BIG fan of the Black Diamond Spotlite 160 headlamp. It's so much easier to set up camp or make dinner with a headlamp vs a flashlight. (Easier to change flat tires too - I keep one in my door pocket.) They last a long time on a pair of AAA's and are dimmable and have a red light mode so you don't ruin your night vision. Great if you're watching the sun set somewhere and just need it to get back to camp.

If you're camping where there's a good view of the sky throw one of those star finder apps on your phone. Even if you're no astronomer it's still fun to point it up there and pick interesting stuff out, and easier to download it now.

--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the input.

I really like the aluminum table idea as it is probably inevitable that we'll set something hot on the table.

As for the water containers, the ones I showed don't look to be all that user friendly as they don't have a valve for dispensing water.  So while I like the idea of the soft-sided containers as they won't break when freezing and we may be in weather that is quite cold, I'll look for ones with a valve so we can lay them down and dispense water w/o taking the lid off.

Good idea on the star app, I'll be sure to get one.  And I'll check out the knife situation as well.  

On the head lamp, my son bought me a Petzl one some time ago that is rechargeable, so I'll take it for sure.  And I'm pretty sure he has one as well, so will probably bring it with him.

He also got me an Mpowerd Solar Light String, which is also rechargeable.  I like the string and it looks to be good to light up the inside of a tent quite well - both bright enough and from many different points.  However I was a bit confused about the documentation as the owner's manual shows there to be both a Type-A and micro-USB port under the flap, but mine doesn't have the micro one.  It does have a USB plug on the end of the light wire for charging, but that's not very convenient for charging in the truck while we are underway as you have to pop the bottom open and extend the cable.  So today I chatted with the manufacturer and found that you can charge it via the Type-A USB port.  So I ordered a male/male USB cable today and I'll be able to charge the light string during the day.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Water Container: [...] in Jan or Feb as it'll probably be below freezing so the container will have to be amenable to that.
Gary, not sure about the water question.
What we usually do: Buy these kind of spring water cans in a grocery (or re-fill ones we kept), freeze them in the freezer (this may take couple of days to hard freeze) and use them as ice block in our coolers.  Keeping our food fresh, they gradually melt without watering the cooler stuff, and we drink this clean melted ice water.
Two targets with one bullet...

But if I was in a freezing temperature situation, I would keep my liquid water stock in the cab.
Overnight won't be enough to freeze a full water gallon, and it'll melt again during day trip.

Does it stay under freezing point in daytime too?  If not, the "gallon in the coolers" stays a good way to keep food fresh and dry.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
For the lanterns I have always liked the Stream Light Siege lanterns.

They come in various lumens and various types of powered and all have a red lens for night vision preservation.  They have the following types

#44941 Siege 200 Lumen x3 AA batteries.  High setting provides 200 lumens with a 7 hour run time.  Low setting provides 50 lumens and able to run 37 hours.  They come in two sizes as well standard and ultra compact.

#44931 Siege 540 Lumen x3 D batteries. High setting provides 540 lumens with a 30 hour run time.  Low setting provides 55 lumens and able to run 295 hours

#44947 Super Siege 1100 Lumen rechargeable battery.  High setting provides 1100 lumens with a 5.75 hour run time.  Low setting provides 125 lumens with a 36.25 hour run time.  This one also has a USB charge port to recharge your phone or tablet.

Price wise they arent too bad for a Streamlight product.  The 200 lumen can be had for $28.60 on amazon, the 540 lumen can be had for $34.89 and the 1100 lumen which is their newest offering is $132.78 which is still cheaper than the $150 - $175 for their flash lights.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That’s interesting. I have/had Streamlight products.

They are spendy but very nice!

Edit: I went and looked at their products on Amazon, very reasonable. I bought a Stinger, I guess 15-20 years ago and I thought I paid $150 or more. I liked that light. I don’t remember what happened to it, must have grown legs and ran off!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
If you are in the boonies, here is what would be on my list:

Flint
survival/tactical knife
rifle
if near water--fishing poles
first aid kit
fresh water/water filter (portable)

1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Jeff - Those containers would work as they have the valve that would make it easy to use them.  

As for temps, we don't know what they will be.  We don't even know for sure where we are going nor when, which will make a difference.  But last year when Janey and I went to Arkansas we saw temps below freezing all day and down to 12F one night.

Rusty - I want all of my lights to be rechargeable.  The flashlights are, the string lights are, and the lantern should be.  So the Super Siege 1100 is certainly an option.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Speaking of the string lights, I'm very disappointed in Mpowerd.  Their customer support rep told me yesterday that I could charge it via the USB port in the body, so I ordered a male/male cable and it came in today.  Turns out the guy was wrong.  Or, I should say that it appears the guy was wrong.  When you plug the connector on the end of the light string into a charger port the lights on the top of the body flash.  But not when you plug into the USB port.

I've contacted Mpowerd and have explained that I'm not a happy camper as their rep gave me bad info, and that doesn't make me thrilled to buy a lantern from them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by AmericanSavage
Missed your post, sorry.  But I think we'll take matches in waterproof containers.  However the knife is something I'd not thought of.  And I have a very nice first aid kit behind the seat.

As for the fishing pole, my son would like that, but on this trip we are traveling instead of fishing, so will pass.

Thanks!